Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    All it would take is for DP to chime in and say what insulation is being used. Might happen, might not, but either way we need to play nice

BF

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Okay, let's get this thread back on track. The OP stated"Ultralite & Value Priced=dphammockgear.com" and then went on to state prices, temperature ratings and weight. The originator of the thread met the owner Dave (I assume that's DP?) and was able to view his gear first hand. This is where our forum shines. Outdoor enthusiasts meeting others that have come up with innovative ways to serve a need be it new materials, new designs or some combination of the two (and sometimes more) and then blabbing about it positively (or negatively which the OP did NOT do). He even has a great "base gear" kit that has everything one would need to start hammock camping and that is a nice thing to see. Also, his pack weighs 9.5 ounces!

DP has declined to offer his type of insulation and that is his choice. After all, it's his business and will operate it as he sees fit. If anyone wants to purchase his stuff - hammocks, packs, tarps or quilts, they'll do it.

Would some of us like to know what type of materials he uses? Sure. But that might also compromise his ability to offer his items at low prices and as a business owner, there are bottom lines that need to be protected. We too worry about our bottom lines in choosing a cottage industry to work with.

Let's all make our own decisions and be glad cottage industries exist to serve certain niches but also to make the marketplace competitive and drive innovations forward.
    [/RANT?]
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Images
    Looks like my tests need to include fire-retardant qualities.

Look, folks, I'm the one who has taken the leap of faith here. Once I receive the equipment I'll give it the best shakedown I can, followed by a thorough review. If you have doubts or question the owner, that's fine, but I intend to let the gear do the talking. For better or worse.

Let's all smile now and talk about some fun stuff. We are a family here. Let's act like it.

Visualize whirlled peas, dudes.

- Nav

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    ...I intend to let the gear do the talking. For better or worse.
    As it should be.

I'll admit to being curious. Not knowing the type of synthetic used just kinda makes me more curious. Can't wait to see who is the first to crack one open and take a look and see. Regardless, it's a quilt designed to be used in 40° and warmer temps. Considering that, is the type of synthetic really all that important? It isn't like it's designed to be used in extreme, or even sort of, conditions. We're talking about fair weather gear for most folks here. Let's not get too worked-up.
    Trust nobody!

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    The water bottle holders on DP's pack are very well made. Sturdy materials and construction. For those who are wanting to go the water bottle method of water usage, give him a call.
    I like big hammocks - I cannot like.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    just sent my payment in for an underquilt

Hammock
    WBBB Single 1.7
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Kick Ass Quilts
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by d-p View Post
    Hangers,

dp really appreciates the kind words with our focus.

"Reliable - Ultra-Lite - low-cost"

Syb asked what kind of insulation dp is using with our quilts ...

I hope we don't offend anyone with our answer ... and I hope this isn't "too much information" for you?

First a little "cottage" business information ... after one designs their products, supply vendors will be the next hurdle. And trust me, it's a pretty substantial hurdle. Especially when you are wanting to keep your product with a low selling price point.

We've searched a LONG time locating vendors who are up to our standards. You might notice, we've taken the ''Spinntec'' tack of naming our fabrics to protect where we purchase. We figure with the countless hours and costs of aligning our vendors, should DIY'ers want to take advantage of our research, a small profit is in order for small quanity purchases.

FYI: the fabric, "Spinntec" has been stalled due to the major user may not re-order. That is the word from the Eruopean mill that produced it. So, Spinntec may not ever be again. dp was offered the same formula if we would take a 5,000 meter run. Paid in advance. Needless to say, we aren't ready for that kind of comittment.

Most Asian fabric mills don't want to talk to you unless you are ready to order 1,000 yards or more. And most don't even want to send you a sample before hand.

Most USA mills have strict minimums which are much too large for a DIY'er.

So, back to what synthetic insulation we are using. The synthetic insulation we have decided to use is 48" wide with a 1/2" loft, polyester product.

Absorbs little water and dries quickly. We sell it for $4.50 yard. The heat rentention quality is created with the insulation being loosely sandwiched between to layers of nylon fabric.

User loft is up to 4" in areas. In areas of pressure, the loft can decline greatly. This is the reason, you may have some cold spots using our quilts. To eliminate the cold spot, you will need to move and move the pressure/ squashed area.

Personally, I get cold easily, and dp has found our quilts are comfortable to 40*. I'm sure you know, quilt/sleeping bag temperature ratings are subject to each manufacturer as no standards have been established.

dp at 40*? Again, you may notice some cold spots at 40*. Some may notice some cold spots at 50*. All dp knows is, at 40* with our quilts, we are not awake shivering.

Chilly or want more heat? Pop your head under the dp "Head-Hole" and breathe some 98* warm air inside?

We have tired doubling the insulation. This adds much bulk with little extra heat rentention. For below freezing temperatures, dp recommends Down which will not absorb water since all water is frozen. However don't try using your breath as a heater with Down. Which one can do pretty well with synthetics.

Syb, I know that doesn't answer your question, but hopefully it explains why dp is evasive ... and a little more about our cottage.

Thank you again for your interest and promoting a cottage business that wants you to backpack more comfortably, again, Reliable, U-L, and low cost.

Happy Trails
    dave

www.dphammockgear.com
    Dave, I have to admit that I wasn't too keen on the head hole when I first layed the TQ out... after using it though I am a firm believer. It just rocks..!

Once again I am a cold sleeper (the meds I'm on don't help either) and I normally add about 10deg F to each bag I have, even the ones that follow the EN comfort rating.

Though I'm curious about the materials used, the price and quality of the gear matter more to me.

Thanks again, Ski

Images
    Received notice from DP that my TQ and UQ shipped today. Looking forward to giving it a thorough review.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Received notice from DP that my TQ and UQ shipped today. Looking forward to giving it a thorough review.
    thats great. my UQ should arrive by the 9th

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Really looking forward to your review! I'm going to subscribe to this thread, so would you mind dropping a comment once the review is up? I would hate to miss it with all the action this site gets!

Also, I understand DP's opinion, but without that information, I wouldn't be willing to pull the trigger as a consumer. I'm glad some people are though! With enough positive reviews, I may consider that information to outweigh the "lack of knowledge" on insulation type, and henceforth make the purchase. Until then, I wait...

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast