Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with 2QZQ
    Tarp
    CCS, Kondos, Mamaj
    Insulation
    HG Incubator TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hammocks are generally lighter than tents but cold weather is a limitation. I think if you use standard gear and not ultra-ultralight gear then the weight is about the same in cold weather. For me the hammock with tarp, UQ, TQ is still lighter than my tent setup. But the main thing is that hammocks are more fun and you sleep more comfortably. In the summer, the weight savings are more apparent.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have a Kelty Trekker 20 sleeping bag. I imagine that would do for now..?
    Not familiar with that specific bag, but most likely:
    1: you can use it as a sleeping bag in the hammock or
    2: you can use it as a top quilt in the hammock or
    3: If it is big enough and the zippers are of the right kind, you might can use it as a faux "PeaPod" wrapped entirely around the outside of your hammock. Which means you won't need an under quilt or hammock pad.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-17-2011 at 21:41.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have a Kelty Trekker 20 sleeping bag. I imagine that would do for now..?
    Leaving for a trip wednesday Wingnut and that's the setup my buddy is using in his brand new 1.7 traveler. A trekker and a blue pad.. I'll report back how it did

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Not familiar with that specific bag, but most likely:
    1: you can use it as a sleeping bag in the hammock or
    2: you can use it as a top quilt in the hammock or
    3: If it is big enough and the sippers are of the right kind, you might can use it as a faux "PeaPod" wrapped entirely around the outside of your hammock. Which means you won't need an under quilt or hammock pad.
    The zipper seems to stop pretty high on this, you'd lose about 18 to 20 inches of length it looked like, I thought the same thing but thought it might make it too short.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Does a sleeping bag defeat the purpose?

A Top Quilt is the top half of a sleeping bag, and and underquilt is the bottom half of a sleeping bag. It's just that the underquilt is below the hammock itself, to keep your body's mass from compressing the insulation.
    ===> Best explanation I have read yet!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use my sleeping bags as top quilts. Leave partially zipped up for a foot bag.

Have to use my mummy bag that I have had since the early 70's as a TQ as either the bag has shrunk over the years or I have gotten bigger in my old age. (I like to think that the bag has shrunk )
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    My 15 year old REI bag works as a TQ but at nearly 4 pounds, it's a bear to lug. It's synthetic so it doesn't compress very small either. The JRB T&UQ's that replace it are smaller and lighter. Much betteron the pack and knees.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG INC\TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    the answers is in how much your tent weighs and how many people does it sleep. For example on solo trips I can save 1.5 pounds after all is said and done with my hammock versus my two man huba huba but with a partner I save by splitting the weight of the tent. Light weight one man shelters generaly either shave weight on protection or dont save weight at all the answers is that you will get the best weather protetion at weights similar to one of those blow up tents. Tarps and bags work for the lightest weight with the most snakes, bugs and mud. But protection for the weight cant beat the hammock setup on solo trips.

Hammock
    10th Wonder Jungle 1
    Tarp
    Alpkit Rig 7
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopie's
    Images
    I've only just bought a hammock and I already have a silnylon tarp and while the personal preference aspect or the comfort factor can't be argued I'm dubious of claims that a hammock/quilt/under quilt/flysheet provide more protection/warmth/useability than a solo tent of comparable spec for less weight. There are solo tents out there that provide sitting up headroom, bug proof inner, vestibule for cooking and gear storage and are proven in extremely harsh conditions and that could easily cope with the worst conditions you'd find in any place you could reasonably hang a hammock that weigh less than 1kg. That said I'm no hammock expert so I may be way off the mark but the lightest hammock/tarp combo I've seen is the Warbonnet Single Layer 1.1 at 20oz/567g and Warbonnet Asymetric Diamond Tarp at 7.5oz/212g (total 779g) while about the lightest regular solo 2 skin tent, the Terra Nova Laser Photon 1 weighs 748g.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R MacE View Post
    I've only just bought a hammock and I already have a silnylon tarp and while the personal preference aspect or the comfort factor can't be argued I'm dubious of claims that a hammock/quilt/under quilt/flysheet provide more protection/warmth/useability than a solo tent of comparable spec for less weight. There are solo tents out there that provide sitting up headroom, bug proof inner, vestibule for cooking and gear storage and are proven in extremely harsh conditions and that could easily cope with the worst conditions you'd find in any place you could reasonably hang a hammock that weigh less than 1kg. That said I'm no hammock expert so I may be way off the mark but the lightest hammock/tarp combo I've seen is the Warbonnet Single Layer 1.1 at 20oz/567g and Warbonnet Asymetric Diamond Tarp at 7.5oz/212g (total 779g) while about the lightest regular solo 2 skin tent, the Terra Nova Laser Photon 1 weighs 748g.
    Hello R MacE,
    I have done tarps and tarptents and hammocks. At the time I was worried to add weight. Once I tried a gathered end hammock I just had so much fun and loved sitting up in it and watching a major storm crashing around me and my woods brother Hickery. It takes some getting used to and some fiddling...but I am fiddly. Therefore I am.
    JustJeff has a wonderful site on hammocks....http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    By the way I was born in Derry....have good friends in Belfast.
    All secure in sector seven,
    Shug
    Here is a video of Hickery and myself riding out a huge storm....hammocks hung but us on the ground watching a terrific lightning storm....

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast