Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    The ends close up enough that they would block almost all the air coming at them, especially if you set the tarp up perpendicular to the wind. If the wind was blowing directly at the ends, air could get through. I have thought about putting Velcro/Omni tape on the end of my SWT to completely seal things up on the ends.
    You sound like you wanted this style of tarp. That is what I originally thought I wanted for a winter tarp/hammock tarptent when I first started working on the design of them a few years ago. I went away from that approach after using it for a while. Someone else made one of them, possibly from a drawing I sent to them, but their comment explained what I didn't like about that design and that is that it is just too complicated to use. I felt it had too many drawbacks and that the WinterTarp approach was the best way to handle the issues for the type of winter hammock camping I am familiar with.

I backed off from starting with something that could be totally closed up with optimum volume and then opened up if needed to something that was simpler and could be pitched more easily in a wider variety to block wind as needed, including closing the ends off as necessary. Panel pullouts and Velcro do some neat things but they also add complexity. Trying to close a Velcro door that is reasonably taut from the inside of a tarptent when you have to bend over and your hands are cold isn't a lot of fun. Panel pullouts require more guyline and more tie outs to branches or stakes and all that isn't a lot of fun either when it is cold and wet... especially when it is time to pack it all away and you have to deal with all those lines and stakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Y...Trying to close a Velcro door that is reasonably taut from the inside of a tarptent when you have to bend over and your hands are cold isn't a lot of fun.
    I've been developing a lot of practice with this on my "quonset hut hammock hanger tarptent @tm". It's really not bad at all. Closing from the top I have one hand going out the still-to-be-closed slit, pressing on the outside strip, with the other hand pressing on the inside strip, sliding this arrangement down towards the ground. Can be done with mittens on.

I'd say the issue with putting velcro on the existing tarp's doors is more one of the extra ounces you now have to carry around all the time, than actually using the strips.

Panel pullouts require more guyline and more tie outs to branches or stakes and all that isn't a lot of fun either when it is cold and wet... especially when it is time to pack it all away and you have to deal with all those lines and stakes.
    on this you have my unqualified agreement.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I've been developing a lot of practice with this on my "quonset hut hammock hanger tarptent @tm".

Grizz

Is this something you made yourself? I likey!!!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Therm4 / Montbell
    Images
    I love my SWT!!!!!! Lowest temp so far was a windy 25 deg. For me it was worth every penny! I have no issues with wind and have no problem getting in and out with it closed up. Also one thing I really like is I have not had the first bit of problems with condensation.... Just need to make my tarp tensioners shorter......lol

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by s62w23098 View Post
    Is this something you made yourself? I likey!!!
    yep. More details in this post.. Started with a JRB 11'x10'
    tarp and started sewing.

The picture I originally linked to shows the latest modification, which was to put a 1' skirt around the bottom, enabling me to hang the hammock higher and still get to ground. Needed to get the bridge hammock it contains high enough off the ground so that I could get a pair of underquilts on it without them dragging on the ground.

The whole thing weighs about 2.25 lbs

Grizz

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Therm4 / Montbell
    Images

Nice

Nice job GrizzlyAdoms! thats cool!!!!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    yep. More details in this post.. Started with a JRB 11'x10'
    tarp and started sewing.

The picture I originally linked to shows the latest modification, which was to put a 1' skirt around the bottom, enabling me to hang the hammock higher and still get to ground. Needed to get the bridge hammock it contains high enough off the ground so that I could get a pair of underquilts on it without them dragging on the ground.

The whole thing weighs about 2.25 lbs

Grizz
    I have a new project - and I can see some new things I'm going to try with your design. Hmmmmmm!!! You are good at getting people thinking, Grizz. Everyone has such great ideas - I just wish I had the time to try them all! My wife is after me with the amount of time I already spend camping, thinking of camping, planning trips, buying gear, etc., etc. - now that I have to pull out the sewing machine, she's really going to freak! Of course, if she divorces me, that's just more time for hanging!

Images
    I've been developing a lot of practice with this on my "quonset hut hammock hanger tarptent @tm". It's really not bad at all. Closing from the top I have one hand going out the still-to-be-closed slit, pressing on the outside strip, with the other hand pressing on the inside strip, sliding this arrangement down towards the ground. Can be done with mittens on.

I'd say the issue with putting velcro on the existing tarp's doors is more one of the extra ounces you now have to carry around all the time, than actually using the strips.

Grizz
    I disagree with you that the issue with putting Velcro on the existing tarp's doors is more of one of the extra ounces you now have to carry around all the time than actually using the strips. I find the overlapping door technique much easier to use and that it allows a greater range of setup options, but that is my opinion and is based on my designs. The difficulty factor in closing doors behind you in a hammock tarptent arrangement is greatly influenced by the shape you are trying to access, with broad shapes being the easiest to access and narrow shapes more difficult to access.

When you design for Velcro closures you want the doors to overlap where the Velcro attaches and you have enough slack to attach the Velcro. Yet, you want it to be reasonably taut after it is attached so it isn't loose enough to flap around in a breeze. There isn't a lot of setup margin with that approach and if you set it up where their isn't enough slack attaching the Velcro is more difficult and can be quite frustrating. When you design for overlapping doors you want each door to be taut independently of the other door and the shaping may be very different than with the Velcro design.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    all any of us can do is speak to our own experience.

when I pitch my tarp I first fasten the doors to avoid over-tightening
    the edges. I even leave it a tiny bit loose, because I have a stake loop
    at the bottom of one of the doors, and I use a stake through that to take
    up the little bit of slack, once the tarp is otherwise fully pitched.

Let a thousand flowers bloom.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 02-22-2008 at 13:17. Reason: explain pitching procedure

Images
    Grizz... I was thinking about fastening the Velcro on doors and it seems that you have about 3 options on how to place the Velcro.

1- Both hooks and loops on the inside edge of the doors.

2- Both hooks and loops on the outside edge of the doors.

3- The hooks on the opposite side from the loops.

I used #1 and that might be the hardest to close from the inside and the easiest to close from the outside. #3 might have the best holding power for doors. How did you do yours?
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast