Tarp
    Nylon 10'12'
    Insulation
    Primaloft
    Suspension
    unknown @ this tim

Looking for DIY Hammock

DIY Hammock

What to do, what to do, woe with me, what am I to do. There is so much to consider about a diy hammock - to bridge or not to bridge, selection of material, to double or not. Where to find the material? How much to order? Details, Details - woe be with me.

Hold it right there, let's apply the KISS principle.

Weight of the user - Me Last August (2010) a hefty 5088 ounces otherwise it is a not-often-told tale of the scale. Last check up in Jan 2011, a svelte 3936 ounces.
    Decided not to bridge, want a hammock NOW!
    Who will sew it, not I said my Mrs. Don't even have a sewing machine...this is not getting easier, is it.
    Size I think will be dictated by the material's width. Length should be about, again a matter of opinion and preference. I am thinking 108-inches, is to short or long?
    Material - well that's where HF comes in, many have done this build before me, so many will have an answer. So read and read and read more. Plus use internet for research, good old internet...

Back to my lovable internet and HF for more reading. Cheerio for a Sunday afternoon nearly evening.

Til another time, Live Life - Enjoy

Kat

I love Maple syrup; to play in hollows and rills; play with sgian and to eat Bacon & beef. Life is good.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Well if you want to buy a ready made one and don't plan on backpacking, I've just made a single layer polyester hammock that is quite heavy duty and luxurious to the touch, just about 12ft long and 5ft wide, and a very pleasant shade of blue, send me a pm If that's something you'd be Interested in and we can hash out the details.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I am a little slow, so are you trying to buy a hammock or looking for help making your own?

I have made 4 to date:
    1. Is a 124" grey/silver color 1.9 ripstop- 103" ridgeline- material is from Jo-anns.
    2. Is a 124" digital camo 1.5 oz ripstop- 103" ridgeline- Material from Backwoods Daydreamer
    3. and 4- Both Easter presents for my daughters- 1 is blue 1.9 ripstop from Joanns, the other is purple 1.9 ripstop from Hancocks. I can't remember the length, but I think both are about 108". I am making the whoopies and ridgeline for them this week.

I followed the directions for a gathered end hammock, and are not that hard to make.

Give us a little more info on what your looking for. Height makes the difference for the length. Width is limited to the material you buy. I think all of mine are about 60" wide, before the ham.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    diy 2ply; eno single
    Tarp
    Nylon 10'12'
    Insulation
    Primaloft
    Suspension
    unknown @ this tim
    A quick reply to my earlier message, I am looking to sew my own hammock. I could buy but that takes a great deal of the fun & understanding out of learning about hammocks. So I am interested in sewing or making my own.

My height is a shrinking 5-ft, 11-inches. Age has caught up to me.

I want it for backpacking mainly.

Cheerio
    Last edited by NoMorCinn; 04-17-2011 at 21:30. Reason: clarifying

I love Maple syrup; to play in hollows and rills; play with sgian and to eat Bacon & beef. Life is good.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings
    Go to your local sewing machine repair shops. Find a decent refurb machine for $100.
    Get a coupon & go to the local Joanns/Hancocks & get 4 yards of ripstop nylon of the color/pattern that floats your boat. Cut a foot off one end & practice a bunch on that. Go to one of the sponsors & get 50' or so amsteel & some straps. Check out Knotty's gathered end sticky. Make hammock. Enjoy.

I did it & I'm an idiot.

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Most people here seem to like a 10-12 foot long hammock body. This is then shortened by the ridgeline set for 80-85% of the hammock length. Your weight might put you on the edge of double layer versus single layer (based on some of the numbers posted on some of our cottage manufacturers websites). Hope this helps a bit.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    If you are making your own hammock and plan on using a bugnet the HC4U "HH Clone" thread has clear, easy to follow instructions for making a Hennessy clone. The HH clone is only marginally harder to make that a simple gathered end and more useful if you want an attached bug net. For me I took ideas from Knotty's gathered end thread and used that instead of the HH whipping on my HH clone hammocks.

Good luck and show pics when done.

• + New Posts