Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    ENO Slap straps

Raleigh/Cary NC hang

Hey everyone,

We thought since there seem to be so many triangle area members on here we could maybe get together and meet each other. Just sort of an informal invite to anyone interested. Saturday May 7th we have decided we are definitely staying in town for the weekend and we thought we may go to Umstead Park or Bond Park if anyone wants to join. We wanted to keep very local in terms of location of course anyone is welcome to join in the fun. We were thinking early in the day maybe bringing a picnic lunch or possibly grilling. Sorry we're not providing food but you are welcome to bring your own food and come hang out so we can all meet each other. Plus we are super new to this and it would be cool to see what other types of hammocks are out there, we both have ENO's right now but we are always in the market for something new. Let us know if you want to come and we can nail down a more exact time and location to meet.

Sara and Chris

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ
    I'm up for a local day hang. My first hammock campout was in the 1970's with a net type and a pad in the bottom; fast forward over thirty years and I'll still sleeping with a hammock and pad. All the variations of underquilts of are very interesting to me.

Images
    Trying to convince some buddies to go to Merchant's Millpond that weekend, but if not, then I'd be up for a visit that way.

Not familiar with Bond park, it looks like a city park on Google earth. Been to Umstead for a day hike once and it was pretty nice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Warb. Yeti,& Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I would be willing to do a Raleigh/Cary Hang. I know you could count on Scoutsniper36 coming along also. Let us know

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I'd probably be down for a Raleigh hang. I live fairly close.

Hammock
    HH Explorer deluxe,1.1dbl WB
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    pad, 3season nest
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Im not too far away either, Not 100% yet but ill see if I can make it
    learning everyday...

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY IX 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    Images
    Sara/Chris and all locals,

First, it would be cool to meet some other folks and see other types of gear. I would definitely be up for some hiking, hanging, grubing and gabbing.

Second...I frequent both Bond Park (I live across the street) and Umstead at least 2-3 times a week so I was thinking that I can give a little detail and opinion on both places then let everyone who is planning on attending "vote".

Bond Park-it is a scenic metro park beautifully maintained by the town of Cary. Long time locals will tell you C.A.R.Y means "Containment Area fer Relocated Yankees" I certainly fall into this category and bring it up as weekends are filled with joggers, kids, soccer, baseball, etc. There is a nice little 2 mile trail around the lake for those wanting to do a short hike. The park has some great shelters that could be reserved for the group as a base camp and foLks could wander around and find a pseudo stealthy site for the group to hang hammocks. Depending on the number of attendees and the weather, it really won't be that private anywhere in the park. I do have some favorite nap sites that are off the beaten path that may work for a group of 10 or so. Not sure how important this for everyone.

Umstead-this is a much larger park by the airport. It has many miles of fun and relatively easy/moderate trails. Some are loops and some are out and back. Like Bond park , it does get crowded on the weekends but because it's size it does feel a little more secluded. There are also some primitive campsites available for group reservations that may be an option even if it wasn't overnight for most. However, on my day hikes I typically bring my hammock and hang for a bit during lunch/nap time. Usually I do this off the hiking trails. On occasion I have run into the game wardens and they are always friendly and actually supportive. Not sure how it would go if 20 people bushwhacked off trail and started hanging though.

So there is my quick synopsis. IMHO either park would be great for a social gathering/show and tell. If you want better hiking/camping options, Umstead would be the way to go. Just wasn't sure what the group consensus is.

Cheers!
    DudeDowne

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    ENO Slap straps
    So I'm thinking Umstead seems like the best plan. Bond park is pretty crowded on the weekends...especially pretty weekends. Any objection to meeting up at in the parking lot by the Harrison Ave. entrance??? That seems pretty easy, you just drive down harrison ave till it dead ends at the park. Anyone please correct me if those directions are wrong. We are not planning on doing an overnight due to evening plans but this way at least people have that option, where as Bond park there is no camping.

Images
    I know the spot. Still not 100% but I think I'm 80% on coming

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    ENO Slap straps
    No pressure....still a weekend or so away.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast