dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Checkout this site about the ring buckle supports http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...eSupports.html. for an easier bug net try this http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=lycra+mesh. I hope these help
    Chris

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dufus934 View Post
    I finally got around to making my first hammock. It is a little embarrasing how simple my idea was, and I'm sure that I'm not the first to make a hammock like this. What I did was, I took about 10ft of silnylon (that I bought at Wal-Mart for $1/yd) and gathered each end so I could tie a square knot in each end of the fabric. After that, I tied a 12ft peice of 260lb test line to each end of the fabric. Then I tied each peice to the tree and enjoyed. This is very simple and I have further plans for this design, but the initial, base hammock is a very good, working design. Any ideas or improvements that can be made, please let me know.

My next idea, and I'm struggling on how to do this, is putting bug netting on this. What I'm thinking about doing is making a "sock" that will have a drawstring at each end (foot and head), and I will just bunch it at the foot while I'm getting in and pull it up over me adn draw the string tight at the head. I will use a ridgeline via loops at the top on the outside of the bug netting. This is the best idea that I've got so far. If there are better ideas that I'm not considering, please someone let me know. I am not a very experienced or good sewer, so I'm trying to keep that to a minimum. Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the site.
    Where in AR do you live?
    I live in SW MO. Maybe we could me and I could show you some of my different setups.
    "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured"

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    I live in conway arkansas. Just north of little rock.
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Skinner,
    That looks great, but its more advanced than what I wanted to do for this first project of mine. I am looking for a way that I can make one long peice of bug net into a cylinder and then put a drawstring closure at each end. I know this will mean alot of wasted bug netting, but I want to make this now and worry about my sewing skills later. I'm just impatient. Maybe once I get better at using a sewing machine I'll be ready to try something like your design.
    dufus934,
    I am planning on how to make a bug net for my hammock and have come up with a slightly different idea than you have (I like the simple cylinder idea, though).
    First of all, I plan to have a ridgeline (cord that runs from one end of the hammock to the other) and use that as support for the bug net). My thought is to make an "envelope" out of bug netting. Take the ridgeline and lay it across the middle of the netting. Then take the netting and fold it in half long-ways. Sew the two short ends closed, leaving the ridgeline sticking out on both sides. Then I plan to use some sort of elastic (or possibly a drawstring) as a hem around the opening of the "envelope". This elastic/drawstring will allow me to get into the hammock, but also serve to hold the netting underneath me once I slide it back into place.

Hope that makes some sort of sense. I haven't tried anything along these lines, it's just a thought that I have doodled on paper.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I live in conway arkansas. Just north of little rock.
    Kyle, I am hosting a hangout at Devil's Den State Park the 5th weekend of March. You can see my wife's and I's homemade hammocks and tarps. I live in Fayetteville, and I still order webbing from Starpworks.com. Keep up the practice and soon you'll have a system that you will love. If you need more advice, private message me, and I'll give you my phone #. Talking on the phone is a lot easier than waiting for messages. I like stuck in the middle too, that whole cd is awesome.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Check out the ring buckle thread(s). Cinch buckles work, too. Miu has a good picture here from that thread:

Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    So where to I get the rings for this type of setup? I don't want to harm the trees, and this seems pretty easy. Also, (and this is way off in left field) what is the best thread for sewing outdoor fabrics? I have polyester and nylon both are 100% of their respected materials (i.e. not a polyester thread with a nylon core). Just a thought. I will (if I sew at all) be sewing things like nylon, coated nylon, no-see-um mesh...stuff like that. Thanks all!
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    So where to I get the rings for this type of setup? I don't want to harm the trees, and this seems pretty easy. Also, (and this is way off in left field) what is the best thread for sewing outdoor fabrics? I have polyester and nylon both are 100% of their respected materials (i.e. not a polyester thread with a nylon core). Just a thought. I will (if I sew at all) be sewing things like nylon, coated nylon, no-see-um mesh...stuff like that. Thanks all!
    Rings here http://www.mtntools.com/cat/rclimb/b...rappelring.htm

Cinch buckles here http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.p...d=118&parent=4

Make sure it is 100% polyester thread. A good choice is the Guttermans brand.
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/narro...ods.htm#THREAD
    You can also get it at Jo-Anns etc.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 02-19-2008 at 23:02.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Skinner,
    That looks great, but its more advanced than what I wanted to do for this first project of mine. I am looking for a way that I can make one long peice of bug net into a cylinder and then put a drawstring closure at each end. I know this will mean alot of wasted bug netting, but I want to make this now and worry about my sewing skills later. I'm just impatient. Maybe once I get better at using a sewing machine I'll be ready to try something like your design.
    I also had this idea about making an a frame type structure out of the bug netting by staking it out. Stake the a frame, then come down and stake the walls to the ground or bring them in on each other, cinch up the ends. Also thought about putting pockets all along the bottom of the walls on the staked-out a frame and filling them with rocks to keep then tight or to keep them on the ground. Just thinking out loud at this point. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I placed an order with Mountain Tools yesterday morning around 6 am for rings, and had an email confirmation by last night saying they will ship today. They seem like a good supplier so far. USPS shipping charges were $9.50, even though the form said $10 and that they would ship the cheapest way specified. So, if everything arrives as it should they seem a great place to get the rings.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast