Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dufus934 View Post

My next idea, and I'm struggling on how to do this, is putting bug netting on this. What I'm thinking about doing is making a "sock" that will have a drawstring at each end (foot and head), and I will just bunch it at the foot while I'm getting in and pull it up over me adn draw the string tight at the head. I will use a ridgeline via loops at the top on the outside of the bug netting. This is the best idea that I've got so far. If there are better ideas that I'm not considering, please someone let me know. I am not a very experienced or good sewer, so I'm trying to keep that to a minimum. Thanks for the help.
    I made a bug net sock like you're describing (cylinder, very uncomplicated), I have a ridgeline on my hammock, which supports the bug sock (I called it a bug bivvy).

It's just a cylinder, drawstrings on each end, zipper down one seam to get in and out (just for convenience). It was a good project, simple to make, and works very well at keeping the bugs at bay.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I made a bug net sock like you're describing (cylinder, very uncomplicated), I have a ridgeline on my hammock, which supports the bug sock (I called it a bug bivvy).

It's just a cylinder, drawstrings on each end, zipper down one seam to get in and out (just for convenience). It was a good project, simple to make, and works very well at keeping the bugs at bay.

That looks quite useful, bugnet in the summer, hammock sock in the winter, only carry what you need and a lot easier than sewing a half-mile of zippers.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    That looks quite useful, bugnet in the summer, hammock sock in the winter, only carry what you need and a lot easier than sewing a half-mile of zippers.
    Well, this particular one is made entirely of noseeum mesh, which unfortunately does not hold in the heat as well as DWR nylon ripstop does. I made a seperate sock (same pattern) out of DWR for winter time, which holds in quite a bit of heat.

I wonder whether a half noseeum, half DWR nylon sock would work in the way you suggest. I'll have to try that sometime, and then just flip it over depending on the season.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Now that's a cool idea!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I think it might have originally been Hammock Engineer's idea(?). I'll have to make one and see how functional it turns out to be.

Seems like it might work best in Spring and Fall, when there are still bugs and it might get a bit cool. Not for Winter when you need maximum heat retention, or for Summer when you would need full air flow.

Sorry for the hijack. I'll stop here and start a new thread later.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Well, this particular one is made entirely of noseeum mesh, which unfortunately does not hold in the heat as well as DWR nylon ripstop does. I made a seperate sock (same pattern) out of DWR for winter time, which holds in quite a bit of heat.

I wonder whether a half noseeum, half DWR nylon sock would work in the way you suggest. I'll have to try that sometime, and then just flip it over depending on the season.
    I'm interested in how well this would work, as well. Would the noseeum part (bottom in the winter) also work as a double-hammock, so that a pad could be slipped in there? For that matter, I guess the sock would hold a pad no matter which side is up.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by froldt View Post
    I'm interested in how well this would work, as well. Would the noseeum part (bottom in the winter) also work as a double-hammock, so that a pad could be slipped in there? For that matter, I guess the sock would hold a pad no matter which side is up.
    I don't know about pads, I've gotten away from using them... but I would make enough room to fit an underquilt in there. The pad would push down on your noseeum mesh (not sure that's good for it), where the underquilt would be suspended upwards under your hammock, and would put little to no pressure downwards on the noseeum. But we really should discuss this in another thread. Don't want to hijack this one.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123