I finally got around to making my first hammock. It is a little embarrasing how simple my idea was, and I'm sure that I'm not the first to make a hammock like this. What I did was, I took about 10ft of silnylon (that I bought at Wal-Mart for $1/yd) and gathered each end so I could tie a square knot in each end of the fabric. After that, I tied a 12ft peice of 260lb test line to each end of the fabric. Then I tied each peice to the tree and enjoyed. This is very simple and I have further plans for this design, but the initial, base hammock is a very good, working design. Any ideas or improvements that can be made, please let me know.

My next idea, and I'm struggling on how to do this, is putting bug netting on this. What I'm thinking about doing is making a "sock" that will have a drawstring at each end (foot and head), and I will just bunch it at the foot while I'm getting in and pull it up over me adn draw the string tight at the head. I will use a ridgeline via loops at the top on the outside of the bug netting. This is the best idea that I've got so far. If there are better ideas that I'm not considering, please someone let me know. I am not a very experienced or good sewer, so I'm trying to keep that to a minimum. Thanks for the help.