View Poll Results: If a Hammock Camping Merit Badge Group-buy is offered, I would order:

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 Merit Badges

16 64.00%
  • 20 Merit Badges

7 28.00%
  • 30 Merit Badges

0 0%
  • 40 Merit Badges

1 4.00%
  • 50 Merit Badges

0 0%
  • 60+ Merit Badges

1 4.00%
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym
    Images
    So does someone have a set or reasonable set of requirements they have been teaching? I think this would be a great spoof badge to teach.
    Best of luck to your scout on the AT by the way. That's an awesome experience he will never forget and I don't know very man people that can just do one. Haha

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I did not know until after the class he was going to do the AT. Regardless, I am rooting for him.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    Do a Google search I found a set of merit badge requirements a wile back. Can't remember what I did with them or where I saw them. But I was a good looking setup.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    It is not a spoof, but an un-official merit badge. Here are the requirements that were agreed upon.

1. Show that you know first aid for and how to prevent injuries or illnesses that could occur while camping, including hypothermia, frostbite, heat reactions, dehydration, altitude sickness, insect stings, tick bites, snakebite, blisters, and hyperventilation
    2. Learn the Leave No Trace principles and the Outdoor Code and explain what they mean to hammock camping

1. Explain how hammock camping supports the Leave No Trace principles

2. Explain how webbing straps (tree huggers) protect trees while hammock camping

3. Hammock Camping Basics:

1. Describe the features of 3 different types of camping hammocks, when and where they could be used, and how to care for hammocks. (Rope Hammock, Gathered end Hammock, Asymmetrical Hammock, Bridge Hammock, etc)

2. Explain the four main parts of a camping hammock system (Suspension, Hammock, Tarp, Insulation)

3. Explain two types of suspension methods (Tying Knots, adjustable friction lashes (Whoopie Sling), Ring buckle, Marlin Spike hitch)

4. Explain how to inspect your hammock system for safety before hanging

5. Explain how to keep warm in a hammock, and when to use insulation: Under Quits, Top Quilts, Pads, Peapods

6. Explain how hammock camping could contribute to a more enjoyable camping experience

4. Tie the following, and explain where to use them in hammock camping: prussic knot, marlin spike hitch, garda hitch, Larks head
    5. Make your own gear: do two of the following

1. Make your own camping hammock

2. Modify the suspension on your camping hammock

3. Build a hammock stand

4. Make your own hammock insulation

5. Improve your camping hammock system to make setup and take down easier

6. Hammock Camping: Do the following:

1. Show proper site selection for hanging a hammock

1. Describe the characteristics of a good site with respect to safety and protection from the elements (dead trees, widow makers, appropriately sized trees, wind protection, location of game trails, etc)

2. Explain your hammock system and why you chose that site location

2. Show how to hang a camping hammock system for an overnight trip. Include hammock, tarp, and insulation

3. Demonstrate how to hang a tarp for protection in the following weather conditions:

1. Warm and dry

2. Wet and rainy

3. Windy

4. Cold and Snow

4. Pitch a ground shelter using your camping hammock system

5. Break camp and demonstrate the Leave No Trace principal before leaving camp

7. Show experience in hammock camping by doing the following:

1. Know and follow local regulations which may prohibit the use of trees and hammock camping

2. Hammock camp a total of at least 7 days and 7 nights. Sleep each night comfortably in a hammock you have pitched. The 7 days and 7 nights must be at a designated Scouting activity or event. You may use a week of long-term camp toward this requirement.

3. Help another scout earn the Hammock Camping merit badge

4. Practice safe hammock camping principals
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincethebutcher View Post
    So I know its a long shot. And this is still a maybe. But I've asked to speak to a troop about hammocking. One of the dads I know is interested in having me coming and help get the ball rolling. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, I was wondering anyone has merit badges kicking around from a couple years ago.

I use to be in scouts. Dropped out in high school, really wish I would have stayed with it. So I figure if I can get back in a help. Show them some hammock stuff I've learned it would be a lot of fun.
    Little late now. Biggest tip would be to keep it fun and hands on. Nothing worse than a scout meeting that feels more like a day at school/lecture than something fun and exciting. Would be great to either go outside to trees - or bring a hammock stand (a turtle dog or two would be ideal), set it up inside and show them how the hammock thing works and then let them practice setting it up, taking it down and most importantly, practice laying in it and seeing how comfy it is.

As a note, the biggest issue I see with scouts and hammocks (once they can get it set up properly) is insulation. When on the ground, most can get away with not even using a pad and still be okay. In a hammock, they NEED something under them (in most climates anyways), so it's important to reinforce having a pad or UQ.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Here is a set of merit badge requirements we put together based on Miller's original post. We are in our second year of promoting the merit badge and it's been a ton of fun. At summer camp last year we even made a hammock wheel and have plans to make two hammock wheels this summer.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Images
    Haha. Awesome. Thank you all for the feedback.

Hammock
    Images
    Anyone still producing the badge?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsshadow View Post
    Anyone still producing the badge?
    I don't believe so. It was a group buy several years ago - no one is actively selling them at this time. You could always lead a group buy if you're interested .
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by plowhorse View Post
    how have you gotten past the buddy system for sleeping? My son just crossed over and his troop is pretty resistant to allowing the use of a hammock.
    It depends on the scoutmaster & the "personality" of the troop. My son & I were in a troop that enforced 2 to a tent, camped with 300-lb patrol boxes, had strict rules about how to cook, precise processes for cleaning, etc. and went everywhere with a tandom axle trailer just to haul all the stuff around. It felt like they just read the manual and repeated it with complete disregard for the fact that they were supposed to be teaching the boys something worthwhile.
    We swithced to a troop that focused more on traveling light and making memories for the boys. Yes, we follow BSA rules but we haven't left the "boy" out of "Boy Scout"
    We're much happier and have a blast with the group everytime we get together because the scoutmaster knows what's important and what's not.
    Some of the "military" troops at Summer Camp don't like us very much but they don't have nearly as much fun as we do either - there's a lesson for the boys right there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast