View Poll Results: If a Hammock Camping Merit Badge Group-buy is offered, I would order:

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 Merit Badges

16 64.00%
  • 20 Merit Badges

7 28.00%
  • 30 Merit Badges

0 0%
  • 40 Merit Badges

1 4.00%
  • 50 Merit Badges

0 0%
  • 60+ Merit Badges

1 4.00%
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    My boys' troop requires the buddy system until they are Star scouts. It's an incentive to reach that rank. It also makes it so that the Scouts sleeping solo are fairly experienced and thus can be trusted. My oldest is almost Second/First Class (has about the same left on both ranks), and is looking forward to becoming a Star Scout so that he can start hammocking, at least part time.
    I really like that approach. Seems balanced and provides the right kind of incentive. Good job.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym
    Images
    I agree. We have a fantastic troop the is very parent involved but absolutely scout run. I'm sorry but life is a lesson and sometimes you learn better from trial and error. We parents are present and are there to question judgment but it's "Are sure you want to..." or "Is there possibly another way..." that leads to a pause and the wheels turning. As for two to a tent our Hangers are not allowed to be alone. Always with a buddy and we are working on entire patrols as the hammocks are becoming more popular.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Quote Originally Posted by plowhorse View Post
    how have you gotten past the buddy system for sleeping? My son just crossed over and his troop is pretty resistant to allowing the use of a hammock.
    I'm pretty sure there is nothing in the Guide to Safe Scouting requiring two Scouts to a tent. Like a lot of "rules" in Scouts, sometimes it is more folklore than an actual policy. As long as a boy is not way off by himself somewhere, I don't see anything in the Scouting policies that would prevent the use of hammocks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    In my experience, the younger scouts do better when they pair up in tents. They keep each other company and don't get spooked at the sounds you normally hear at night. Once they get a few camping trips under their belt they tend to want to be by themselves. That is when my son started hanging.
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    It is not a spoof, but an un-official merit badge.
    I have been searching for some sort of "official BSA" guidelines for such a merit badge but I can't find any.
    Is it too new? Can you help direct me to something like that?

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by tylojuky View Post
    I have been searching for some sort of "official BSA" guidelines for such a merit badge but I can't find any.

Again, as said before, this is an unofficial merit badge, you won't find it anywhere except for here.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by tylojuky View Post

Post #126 by mountain_man_mike has a copy of the un-official merit badge requirements. This is a Non-BSA approved merit badge but something that was developed here.

Yep. I misread doogie's post above.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    We don't have a troop rule about it, but it usually takes a year or so for a new scout to feel comfortable enough to take on the elements of the Hammock Camping merit badge. Among the challenges is making their own gear, which means developing (or displaying) their sewing skills. Our feeling is that as with cooking, sewing is a life skill that every youngster would benefit from. It comes in handy so many times. The scouts make their own UQ, straps and whoopie slings. Having that gear makes a big difference in comfort for the boys not to mention a huge sense of pride that they actually made the gear. It needs to be fun though, so keep it light and do everything you can to minumize the cost by securing donations or discounts from suppliers. Planning and preparation by the counselor makes a huge difference and is worth it.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Can't tell, but is that a big pole in the middle whereby you have supporting posts in a circle around it? (Recchia's Eng. feat)

I keep wanting to talk to someone at some of these scout reservations that they need something like this. One of them near me has a large covered teepee shelter that looks like it would be perfect for hanging - but probably isn't engineered for that.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast