View Poll Results: If a Hammock Camping Merit Badge Group-buy is offered, I would order:

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 Merit Badges

16 64.00%
  • 20 Merit Badges

7 28.00%
  • 30 Merit Badges

0 0%
  • 40 Merit Badges

1 4.00%
  • 50 Merit Badges

0 0%
  • 60+ Merit Badges

1 4.00%
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Can't tell, but is that a big pole in the middle whereby you have supporting posts in a circle around it?

I keep wanting to talk to someone at some of these scout reservations that they need something like this. One of them near me has a large covered teepee shelter that looks like it would be perfect for hanging - but probably isn't engineered for that.
    Pretty close. It's actually three poles that are about 4" in diameter lashed together with a single pole extension to support the center of the parachute. We either tied the outer ends to trees or staked out poles.

For the gear, I recommend bringing along your extreme patience case when the whoopie slings are made. Somehow the boys really struggle threading the amsteel and it takes at least 5 times longer than if I did it myself. But if I did, I would deny them the opportunity to achieve after getting past a big obstacle.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    I don't believe so. It was a group buy several years ago - no one is actively selling them at this time. You could always lead a group buy if you're interested .
    Haven't heard any proposal since 2013, is there possible someone could lead a group buy ? the badge just not available else where.

Hammock
    DIY Hyper 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and pad
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I know this is an old thread but I would also like to get my hands on a handful of these patches.

Hammock
    Dutchware halfwit
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie sling
    There is some really good responses to this post and some excellent ideas. I think there is enough here to maybe present it to nation and see what can co e out of it. I guess it would need to be presented to your local council and get them to move it up the line. I know my son would get this badge.

Hammock
    Modified cheep nylon hammock
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Images
    Maaan I love this thread, there are some good ideas. I am also the leader of a scout. Group called pathfinders it is a coed club , and one thing I've learned with honors/merit badges, is the basic. Should be simple, even like in our group a level two or three honor could have some of the more complex things. Grizzs' list was spot on. Teach
    1 hang a hammock
    2 insulation
    3. Simple tarp set ups
    4 (1st priority) choosing a camp site
    Knots for hanging &or hammock suspension
    5 And thend have 2 weekend camp outs in a hammock, put
    Preferably w different weather conditions...,

Its what I've thought about for our. Club struction to get it because we have clubs all over the world, this set up works with clubs even out side out standard us set up.gives a world club possibility

I realize this is a very old thread.

While I like the concept of encouraging hammock camping in Scouting, and I support some sort of award, the notion of encouraging Scouts to flaunt official uniform policy, if it means wearing an unofficial "merit badge", seems like a really bad idea.

Now, if National got behind this, that would be different.
    Last edited by TominMN; 04-22-2016 at 15:36.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    While I like the concept of encouraging hammock camping in Scouting, and I support some sort of award, the notion of encouraging Scouts to flaunt official uniform policy, if it means wearing an unofficial "merit badge", seems like a really bad idea.

Now, if National got behind this, that would be different.
    I agree. Being raise as an Air Force brat and being around uniforms my entire life, I've very much of the attitude: "Wear the uniform correctly, or don't wear it at all"

That being said, An event patch that hangs from the button on the right breast pocket would be acceptable by BSA Uniform standards. A patrol patch could also work, if the "merit badge" badges are already made, they could be worn in place of a patrol patch and be acceptable as well.

-Lindrome

Quote Originally Posted by lindrome View Post
    I agree. Being raise as an Air Force brat and being around uniforms my entire life, I've very much of the attitude: "Wear the uniform correctly, or don't wear it at all"

That being said, An event patch that hangs from the button on the right breast pocket would be acceptable by BSA Uniform standards. A patrol patch could also work, if the "merit badge" badges are already made, they could be worn in place of a patrol patch and be acceptable as well.

-Lindrome
    The "Hammock Patrol" would probably work but any temporary patch on the right pocket has to be officially approved and produced by a licensed vendor. Not sure if this would qualify under the Uniform Standard exception that has some sort of provision for Council-level approval.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Bridge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Eco B
    Hello, I just learned about the merit badge from the HYOH podcast. Are requirements for the badge written? And where would I find more information.
    Patrick
    Troop 401

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    This thread is really old, look for my post earlier (#124) to this for requirements that were created a while ago. Remember this is NOT a BSA badge, it's just for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiecamper View Post
    Hello, I just learned about the merit badge from the HYOH podcast. Are requirements for the badge written? And where would I find more information.
    Patrick
    Troop 401
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast