Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

A few thoughts after a backyard test

I tested out my homemade hammock last night. It was a low of 25 degrees with about 10 mph winds.

Setup:
    homemade Speer style hammock with asym cut
    JRB nest
    McCat Deluxe tarp
    Montbell Super stretch #2 bag used as quilt (rated from 5-20 degrees)
    MEC Northern Lite jacket used as pillow and head cover
    homemade hammock sock

Clothing:
    Mid Weight bottoms
    swim trunks sans liner
    smartwool long sleeve shirt
    wool socks
    windproof fleece hat

This was the first night I used the homemade hammock sock and the nest in this hammock. Before I only used the nest with my HH. Bsfore as soon as the temp got to 40 degrees I needed to add a pad for more bottom insulation. I got in the hammock around 1 am last night. The temp was about 34 degrees. I was comfortable with the clothes and gear used. I did not have the hammock sock on yet. I felt comfortable about 10 degrees colder than I did in the HH using the nest. The only reason I can think for this is that I was improperly hanging it on the HH and compressing the insulation. The hammock I am using now probibly has less insulating properties than the HH. The nylon taffeta I think will let more air pass though.

The thermometer on my ridgeline read 34 degrees. I had my tarp pulled over at this time. I then put my hammock sock on. It was pulled over my head but not tighted around the hammock. This is just a trial version with no closure option. The temp inside approached about 47 degrees. Really comfortable sleeping temp. I woke up around 4am to find a lot of condensation on the sock and my bag. The nylon material I used is not very breathable. The next version will by ripstop and should fix most of this. At this point I pulled the sock down so my head and shoulders where sticking out.

At about 7am I woke up to snow hitting my face. Unfortunatly the only hammock trees in my backyard are not perpendicluar to to wind. I pulled the sock back over my head and laid there for about 20 minutes. The temp inside the sock went up to around 45 degrees. The temp outside at this point was about 25 degrees.

At no point did I end up using a pad. I am very happy about that. It is supposed to get down to 15 degrees with 20 mph winds in Cincy tonight. I am planning on testing it again and seeing if I can get a new low. I was suprised to see that I can add about 20 degrees of warmth between the tarp and the sock. I took the ouside temp with a thermometer hanging from the ridgeline but exposed to the wind below the head end of the hammock. I think that with this setup, adding a pad, and wearing my jacket and gloves would get me close to 0.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Crap....guess this means I'm gonna have to make a sock now
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    what did you say you made the sock out of?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    This just gives me more incentive to complete my HH weather shield system. I am thinking a top cover would do a lot to help make sleeping in it at lower temps possible without a pad, which is my ultimate goal I guess. I hate pads in a hammock. I am leaning toward silk right now....

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Hey...where's the pics? How does a hammock sock work? Does it go around the nest/hammock totally , lik a cocoon? How much does it weigh?
    This is my signature.

Images
    The one I used is made of nylon supplex. Yeah don't buy that stuff. It said WPB, but it is not. It also weighs a lot. The 9' x 80" piece I used weighed in at about 2.5 lbs. I finally found some ripstop at Walmart today. I am going to sew one out of ripstop and try it out soon. I am wondering how much difference it will make. I think being able to close the heas end will make a big difference.

I just sewed a big tube that was 9 feet long by 80" in circumference. My next version is going to have a draw string closure. I bought enough to make 3 versions. I am going to try the rectangle again, then something more pod shaped to save weight. Unless I put a zipper in, I will still have to leave the open head end the same size.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Hey...where's the pics? How does a hammock sock work? Does it go around the nest/hammock totally , lik a cocoon? How much does it weigh?
    My laptop is acting up. I'll try to get some pics up soon. It is basically a big bag that goes over the ridgeline and down below the nest.

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    My laptop is acting up. I'll try to get some pics up soon. It is basically a big bag that goes over the ridgeline and down below the nest.
    Does it just hang over the ridgeline or is it actually a tube (like a gigantic snakeskin) that goes around everything?
    This is my signature.

Images
    It is a huge tube made out of 2 pieces of fabric. It goes over the ridgeline in order to keep it out of my face. I have issues with that. It is only open a couple inches on 1 side for the strap to fit in and the other side is open for it to slide over the hammock. I guess you could call it a snake skin for the user.

ARE you ready to ditch the HH and try a homemade one yet?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hammock Sock - http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html
    TravelPod - http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTravelPod.html

I got some of that heavy supplex, too. It's still in the box it came in...at least it was cheap.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast