WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ, soon HG...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

DIY Checklist

Ok, so I am about to start my very first DIY hammock project. I have been reading a lot about how people have gone about this, and here is what I have decided on so far:

I am going to use HC4U's HH Asym, and make it out of a single layer of 1.5 oz ripstop from BWDD. Since I am 175 lbs, I think this will be fine to support me. I am also planning to use tree straps and marlinspikes.

Everything else is somewhat unclear. Being a backpacker, I am leaning toward whoopieslings for their light weight, and I also know that I will use a structural ridgeline.

Here are the questions I still have:

1. What cord do you use to whip the ends of the hammock?
    2. How does the ridgeline connect to the whoopieslings--especially since the ridgeline on this style hammock goes through the inside the hammock instead of above it?
    3. What type of cord do you prefer for the ridgeline?
    4. What is a good resource for showing how to make a DIY adjustable ridgeline?

Thanks for your ideas, and also for all the great material on this website!

-MH

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by Medecine Hat View Post
    1. What cord do you use to whip the ends of the hammock?
    I have used the shell of paracord to wrap mine, and have also used a zip tie.
    2. How does the ridgeline connect to the whoopieslings--especially since the ridgeline on this style hammock goes through the inside the hammock instead of above it?
    Follow his instructions, he creates a knotted section where one knot is in the gather, and a bowline inside to attach your ridgeline too. The whoopie sling is typicallly attached via a larks head right before the gather whip
    3. What type of cord do you prefer for the ridgeline?
    You will find most people like a dynema based cord - Zing it, lash it, etc - although some have used paracord (it stretches though)
    There are several threads out there - depends on if you want a constrictor type ridgeline, use a knot bone, or figure nine. It just depends on your approach. Shug has a lot of great videos that will show you different types. Honestly, I use a different method on all four of my hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ, soon HG...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thank you for the input. For an adjustable ridgeline, is there any reason I couldn't just make a 10 foot long whoopie sling out of Amsteel, or is there a reason why something like Zing-It is preferred?

-MH

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thank you for the input. For an adjustable ridgeline, is there any reason I couldn't just make a 10 foot long whoopie sling out of Amsteel, or is there a reason why something like Zing-It is preferred?

-MH
    You certainly could use Amsteel, but it's overkill. I chose 1.75 mm zing it for my adjustable ridgeline, because it's far less bulky, and lighter.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    One way is to make a short whoopie sling. Mine is out of 7/64 amsteel because I had extra, and didn't have any 1.75 Lash it. I will say that once I found the sweet spot for the ridgeline length, I haven't ever adjusted it. One thought is to just use any type of cord to experiment with for the length. Once you find the length you like, then cut a piece of amsteel and tie bowlines in each end, and not make it adjustable.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ, soon HG...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Detail Man, that is a great suggestion on the small whoopie sling. That way I can use it as the adjustable component of the ridgeline until I figure out what fixed length I want to use. How long should I make that mini whoopie sling to give myself enough adjustment range?

Also, would the 1.9 mm tech line that Scott sells at Backwoods Daydreamer be suitable ridgeline? I am guessing once I know the fixed length I like I can just tie two bowline loops in the ends and attach them to the monkey fist loopy things with small biners?

Thanks!

-MH

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Somewhere I remember reading that the RL should be about 83% of the hammock length. This is where most folks find the sweet spot.

I'm not familiar with the tech line you mentioned. You could email Scott and find out.

Hammock
    DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    15* down bag & pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    How long should I make that mini whoopie sling to give myself enough adjustment range?

Also, would the 1.9 mm tech line that Scott sells at Backwoods Daydreamer be suitable ridgeline? I am guessing once I know the fixed length I like I can just tie two bowline loops in the ends and attach them to the monkey fist loopy things with small biners?
    I purchased said tech line from BWDD and made myself an adjustable ridgeline that works great. On one end, I made a fixed eye splice, and the other end is a large whoopie sling. As far as the length, I think mine is adjustable from 90-120", from the end of the fixed eye to the end of the adjustable whoopie loop. That covered my 83% mark and provided plenty of wiggle room on either side. Once you've found your desired length, just pull the tail of the whoopie sling back through the bury, splice in a fixed eye at your new length and trim the extra line. You will probably end up with a few feet of extra line, but this stuff also works great for tarp guylines.

• + New Posts