Digging the AMOK!
    Tarp
    Anything Cuben Fib
    Insulation
    Still Learning
    Suspension
    Still Learning

Hennessy Hammock "Scout" ?'s

Hello everyone. I am very new to hammocking...so new, I have never even used one. However, I am a camper/backpacker. Love it. I typically use my Kelty backpacking tents, but decided I wanted to lighten up. Soooo...I tried the REI Bivy....not for me...Then I began considering the hammock world. I do gear reviews on my new blog www.mybackpackingblog.org. So, an online friend offered to send me a piece of gear to test and keep...Low and behold...it was a hammock...yooohooo...

Anywho...it's a Hennessy Scout...I have read on line that it is good up to 5' 10" and 200lbs...well that is exactly what I am...however, everytime I read about it...people are using it for their kids...

Question: should I review this or my 13 year old son? lol!

Is this a good starter hammock for an adult under that size or is it a "kids" hammock?

I mean, if it is a kids hammock...I won't set my heart on it...do I need to move up?

Help me out...what should I do with this new hammock?

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock
    Tarp
    BearPawTent
    Insulation
    SS Winternest
    Images
    it is rated for up to 200 ibs I believe and alot of people are over that for on reason or another, including me

Hammock
    Digging the AMOK!
    Tarp
    Anything Cuben Fib
    Insulation
    Still Learning
    Suspension
    Still Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly.hiker View Post
    it is rated for up to 200 ibs I believe and alot of people are over that for on reason or another, including me
    Is this the hammock you use?

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I received 2 of them yesterday from Hennesy. I am very pleased. Yes they are promoted ford kids but at 5'8" I had no problem sleeping in one lastnight.

The zipper model is a heavy duty zipper and I think they will serve us well.

Oh...I ordered them w/o the tarps at a heck of a savings.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by mybackpackingblog View Post
    Help me out...what should I do with this new hammock?
    Well, I dunno...maybe set it up and find out if it is comfortable for you? Try it more than once while adjusting your set up until it fits you just to make sure. Then don't fret too much about the weight limits as they are listed more with lawyers in mind more than the weight of the customer.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    ... Then don't fret too much about the weight limits as they are listed more with lawyers in mind more than the weight of the customer.
    This is the truth. Dont get too wrapped around the weight. As long as you dont push the limits of it, you will be fine. Try it out a few times, see if you like it. Also, if you have the opportunity, try a few other hammocks too-maybe even a bridge hammock, just to see the difference. Bottom line-if it doesnt work for you, dont limit yourself to one experience with one hammock. Borrow a different model, and give THAT one a try

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I also think you should set it up and lay in it before you decide to move up. If it fits then great but I have a feeling you will want something bigger.

If the Scout doesn't fit you then I say let your son do the review and you move up into a bigger hammock. Since this is really your first impression of hammocks I think you should do the review on a hammock that fits you well.

There are many great hammocks out there that can be had for cheap but are uber comfy and are the correct size for you. Any of the vendors listed in the vendors section of this forum will do you right. I would go with a Warbonnet Traveler or an Eno Double for your first one. They're both around $60 (I think) and extemely comfortable. You could also go full bore and get a Warbonnet Blackbird, any other Hennessy or a Switchback Light Hiker.

Do a little research here on the forum (majority will say to get a Warbonnet Blackbird but that doesn't mean it's the best hammock for you) and put your money into a good hammock that will last a long time.

Before you know it you will have $1000 worth of hammocks, quilts, gadgets, tarps, amsteel and other MYOG gear!

Good luck with your hammock venture!

Chris

PS...this is just my opinion, .02, HYOY, YMMV (insurance)

Hammock
    Blue Mammoth Ultra
    Tarp
    Blue Mammoth Cave
    Insulation
    Mammoth Belly
    Suspension
    Mammoth Straps
    This is a very good question and I will echo the others in saying that it comes down to personal preference. But, I will also throw in my opinion. If you find yourself prone to claustrophobia, even a little bit (which you may not even know until you've slept in the hammock), you will want to move up to a larger size. I originally bought the HH Expedition and I am right at the height limit like you are with the Scout. I couldn't stand it. My first night was terrible, I almost bailed because I felt so closed in. That was a new experience for me as I have never thought of myself as claustrophobic before. But, at the upper limits of the height suggestion, you will find that your head will be pretty far up into the end of the hammock and your face (at least in my case) will be right up against the bug net. I tried it a couple of nights and was getting better, but then I tried my buddy's Explorer and it was WAY roomier for me. I upgraded.

So, there's my $.02. It is a personal preference thing. Some are okay with the closer quarters, some are not.

Welcome to the family! No matter which way you go, you will love your hammock.

Happy hanging!
    Roll the bones_00

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I've got a couple of Scouts, an Expedition and an Explorer. IMHO the Scout is for Kids or small adults. Many adults who weren't comfortable in their Expeditions upgrade to larger hammocks like the Explorer or Warbonnet Blackbird for good reason.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I got a Safari a year ago, and they included a free Scout. Gave the Scout to the wife, who is rather petite in size and weight. Thought it would be fine, but even she had some issues with it feeling a bit confining, and she was a little less than happy with it. We decided to set it aside for our kid someday, and I bought a Warbonnet Blackbird. So..now I sleep in that, and she sleeps in the Hennessy Safari.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast