DutchWare 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    20° Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

CRL/WS All-In-One?

Has anyone ever done or thought about doing a single fixed-CRL with WSs built in at each end?

I was thinking about doing one very long piece of Amsteel with 6-foot whoopie slings built in, but instead of terminating with a loop on the end, it would be my CRL and another whoopie sling on the other end.

I could bury a piece of Amsteel in the CRL/WS, feed it through the hammock fabric, and then bury the other end back through the CRL/WS. This would permanently attach the hammock, CRL and WSs all into one unit. I haven't decided which would be best... a double-over bury or a straight-line bury. A double-over bury might not fit inside the main Amsteel line very well, so a straight-line bury might be better. (SEE ATTACHED IMAGE)

It would take a single line of Amsteel about 38 feet long, but I think it might work and have its benefits rather than three separate lines and the hammock.

(6-foot whoopies take about 12-feet each) x 2 = 24-feet + ~100" (8' 4") fixed-RL = 32' 4" (38-feet - 32' 4" = 5' 8" / 2 = 2' 9" (for two buried lines to go through the CRL/WS and the hammock (one each end) Confused? I might be.

Thoughts?

I'd like feedback from you experts out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm out... | website

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    tygr, I just finished one up based on what some others have already done. Mine involves Alpine Butterfly Knots though. Inside the link I have provided a few other links to I think the start of the CRL I'm using. A couple others have used UCR's rather than the whoopie loops at each end as I did. The whole thing is one continues piece of amsteal.

Link to a video I done showing how its setup

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedup View Post
    tygr, I just finished one up based on what some others have already done. Mine involves Alpine Butterfly Knots though. Inside the link I have provided a few other links to I think the start of the CRL I'm using. A couple others have used UCR's rather than the whoopie loops at each end as I did. The whole thing is one continues piece of amsteal.

Link to a video I done showing how its setup
    + 1 on the link here

I like this set up a lot and although I haven't gone to it, I think it's just a matter of time.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    The straight line bury will NOT work, the reason for that is as soon as you get in it will apply pressure such that it will put the line inside the bury against the bury. This will result in it forcing the bury in causing it to release and putting you on the ground. The double bury might work (not sure if it would lock right) but doing ti would require another 8-10 inch bury between where you are hanging and the bury of the main whoopie/UCR increasing your minimum distance between trees to hang. Using an alpine butterfly knot instead will give you the same loop while not adding the extra minimum length. If you are going to put your tarp over the top of the added RL (I do) you want the alpine butterfly out far enough that the tarp and its attachment is inside the knots (inside it lowers but tightens up flatter, outside it lowers and loosens both like the HH setup). If your doing this as hammock only with tarp separate you gain very little if anything over the traditional structural RL that attached through the whipping and around the whoopies as either way you have a set RL distance and whoopies on the end, the difference is when its a second RL to hang your tarp from. That said the other threads are more in depth if your going the tarp route.

Hammock
    DutchWare 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    20° Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Thanks for everyone's feedback... it has really helped to gain a better perspective.
    I'm out... | website

• + New Posts