Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I'm using Kingfisher 1.5mm polyester covered dyneema prussics on Kingfisher 3mm poly covered dyneema ridgeline. I much prefer the covered to hollow braid for this as it doesn't pick up twigs or tangle easily and still looks like new after 2 years of use.

i finally got to run out to west marine..i have to say the selection was rather meager! mostly nylon stuff, at least in the smaller ropes. i did have to buy a few foot of 1/8th amsteel whitch they did have on hand, so the trip wasn't a wasted one. i still will try cabellas during monday or tue. i have decided that i'll be useing kellytriptease look alike. and if i find nothing else to work with..mason line for the prussic/loops. since i already do have some.and they seem to have the most texture of any line so far

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Klemheist definitely. I ended up using some of the "abrasive" line on the zing-it ridgeline. This was mostly because I'd already whipped a loop in both ends before I though about using it for some kind of friction-knot setup too. I did try some braided mason cord and it was just way too slippery on the zing-it.

For now I've got a loop in one end and I use a small s-biner for a quick attachment to the first tree. I tried a figure-9 to tension the line for a while but I didn't like how it kind of chewed up the zing-it. I'm back to a trucker's hitch or a hennessy type lashing setup. I don't mind knots.....

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
    is there an "IDEAL" combinaion of ridge line and sliding prussics? i've read on this forum that the prussic knot/loop should be smaller than the main line.( i seem to remember that it was something like half- can't find the posting that suggested this)..
    FYI & FWIW

Here are 3 references recommending that the prusik / kelmheist loop line ought to be of smaller diameter than the main line onto which it is tied. That being said -- that caution is meant for climbers whose lives will depend upon these slide and lock/grip knots doing their job. Worst that could happen when the loop line diameter is equal to the main line ( RL ) for a tarp is that the tarp may slip a bit, so using line of same diameter is not a huge risk to your safety.

I find that lash-it or zing-it, or similar lines are kinda slippery. Slippery lines may grip better if , you follow the rules, and use a loop line of smaller diameter than the main line. If the line used , for RL and Loop, both have a bit of grip to them then I think equal diameter line for both is less of an issue. Or if using zing-it, lash-it or small diameter amstel for the RL, just make the loops out of a different kind of line, something with a rough feel to it , to increase the friction and thus increase the grip onto the RL. Or use a longer loop to permit more turns around the RL, just another way of increasing the friction or grip onto the RL.

Note that the Klemhiest knot may be preferred if the load is only in one direction, as is the case when using a Prusik or Klemheist on a RL to allow the tarp position to be adjusted in the head to foot direction:

http://www.animatedknots.com/klemhei...matedknots.com

"Slide and Grip Knots: The Klemheist ...may be the preferred choice when the load is known to be in one direction only..."

"Rope Size: These knots must be made using a rope smaller than the load bearing rope, e.g., 5 or 6 mm cord around the climbing rope. The effectiveness of these knots diminishes as the sizes of the two ropes approach each other."

http://ozultimate.com/canyoning/knots/prusik/

"The knot must be tied with a rope of diameter less than the main rope, as the effectiveness of the knot is reduced the closer the two ropes are in size. 6mm cord around double 9mm abseiling rope is usually sufficient."

http://ozultimate.com/canyoning/knots/klemheist/

-- so, for climbing they are recommending the loop line be about 1/3 smaller diameter less than the main line.
    But we hammock folks use knots for other uses than their original intention. Such as the recently posted use of the Pile Hitch for tarp guy line to ground stake connection. We're rigging a tarp, not hanging on the side of rock wall, so we can violate the rule a little, I think.

YMMV

thank you david..the design philosophy i try to follow is- figure out the best design, given the availablitiy of mat'ls, and from that point-, if i dare, derate the design as i see fit. in this case i've bought some 3mm (reflective line) for the ridge line. strickly just for me as i would rather carry the extra weight and enjoy the easyer handling characteristics of a bigger line. also the texture of that line seems to have more grip than what i've read about zing/fling, and they'r ilk. the mason line proved to be too "fiddly" for my likes so, i'll be looking for something in the range of 2mm for that. i have done a bit of climbing in the past, and have to admit..i have never been impressed with the holding power of purssics. of course this is only a tarp and for that reason i'm allowing myself to experiment a bit with 'em. how else is a lad to learn?
    Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; 04-26-2011 at 16:33.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    I use a CRL of 2.2 Zing-it with loops of 2.2 Zing-it using the Klemheist knot and have not had any issues with slippage. Not sure how many wraps, but it's a bunch (5 or 6), and they are hard to slide even with no tension on them.
    The set up I put together today with zing it,( http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32176 ) I tried the Klemheist also, but found it hard to move, so I went back to a prusik. Ridgeline and prusik both are zing it, in my test today they held fine with 3 wraps.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0dl + DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    SPE & Sum Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I'm glad to see this thread here because I'm kind of in the same boat. Being new to hammocks, I'm still trying to absorb the wealth of information on this site. I have made my tarp ridgeline from 1.75 zing-it. I first tried a prusik of 3/32 shock cord with s-biner to tarp but it kept slipping. Next I made loops of 1.75 zing-it and tried prusik but that also slipped, even with four turns so I tried a Klemheist with the same zing-it loop and it held beautifully. So... satisfied that I had found the answer I repeated the Klemheist on the opposite side but I can't get that one to hold

I'm befuddled by this and thinking that the best thing to do is to find some cord that is smaller diameter and less slippery than zing-it - may have to give a little in both directions and get some larger zing-it for the ridgeline and match it to some 1.5 cord for the prusiks... I just don't know

Hammock
    ENO Pronest w/ Continuous Loop
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season 11x10
    Insulation
    MB Bag, Neo-Air
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ciphoto View Post
    The set up I put together today with zing it,( http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32176 ) I tried the Klemheist also, but found it hard to move, so I went back to a prusik. Ridgeline and prusik both are zing it, in my test today they held fine with 3 wraps.
    Haven't had a problem with my 2.2 Lash-it ridgeline and 2.2 prussics. I've got three wraps and so far so good.

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    1.75 zing-it on 1.75 zing it over here too. wrapped 4x, never a problem

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12