Tarp
    What?
    Insulation
    $0.10 Ridgerest
    Suspension
    Rope and Knots...

UCR Variation

Hi everyone!

I've been using what I found out yesterday is a UCR, but I rigged mine slightly differently. Basically what I have is a 25' piece of amsteel blue with two alpine butterflies about 9' apart to which the ends of my hammock are fastened. The stationary "constrictor" parts are what hang from the tree straps, and the ridgeline piece slips through them. I like having a single piece of rope for my ridgeline and suspension, and alpine butterflies can be untied with a bit of work, so adjusting the ridgeline isn't too difficult. Does anyone else do this? What are the advantages and disadvantages you see with this system compared to the typical UCR setup or whoopie slings?

Images
    John,

That sounds like a great setup. I currently have a single line suspension using alpine butterfly knots, but I use a marlin spike hitch tied in the suspension line instead of a UCR for my adjustable portion.

I recently got some amsteel to replace the bulky polyester braid rope from my current setup, and I was thinking of using something similar to what you describe. My plan was to have the constriction portion as an extension of the ridgeline, just beyond the ends of the hammock. The running portion would then go from the ends of the hammock up to the the tree huggers.

I'd love to hear more about experience using your configuration. What do you use to ensure the constriction portion remains taut? And pictures... must see pictures.

Thanks,

-Mike

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    In my never-give-up effort to eliminate 100% of the calf ridge in my WBBB, I built a set up similar to what you describe above as a second structural ridge line, except that each end of my set up is an actual adjustable whoopie loop instead of a UCR setup.

I started with 28'7" of 1/8" Amsteel (THANKS OPIE!). My alpine butterfly loops are 105" apart. Just outside of each alpine butterfly loop is a 10" whoopie bury. Shortest working length for my setup is 10'4". Longest working length is 18'5". I think this is very similar to the setup TBCTX uses.

Now I just have to figure out if I'll attach my tarp directly to this set up, or if I'll keep using a separate CRL for my tarp.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    In my never-give-up effort to eliminate 100% of the calf ridge in my WBBB, I built a set up similar to what you describe above as a second structural ridge line, except that each end of my set up is an actual adjustable whoopie loop instead of a UCR setup.

I started with 28'7" of 1/8" Amsteel (THANKS OPIE!). My alpine butterfly loops are 105" apart. Just outside of each alpine butterfly loop is a 10" whoopie bury. Shortest working length for my setup is 10'4". Longest working length is 18'5". I think this is very similar to the setup TBCTX uses.

Now I just have to figure out if I'll attach my tarp directly to this set up, or if I'll keep using a separate CRL for my tarp.
    TBCTX talked me into this setup at the last hang I was at .... Awesome
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    pictures, or it never happened
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    WBRR dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images
    I tried this also (with alpine butterflys), but I didn't like it. Several threads discuss the fact that knots weaken line. While your probably nowhere close to being in danger, I'd still check with the experts. Also, the knots after loading several times became virtually impossible to untie....my 2 cents.
    I think that I shall never see
    A poem as lovely as a tree.... Joyce Kilmer "Trees"

Hammock
    Byer Of Maine Amazonas Traveler
    Tarp
    What?
    Insulation
    $0.10 Ridgerest
    Suspension
    Rope and Knots...
    I like the idea of whoopie sling ends. I made a couple whoopie slings yesterday for my girlfriend (for her hammock, rather) and they're pretty slick. I like them, but I also like that with the system i have now I don't have rope doubled back, and i can pull out the entire length of the ends for suspension. the entire system is effectively one piece, it makes it so fast to set up. Im going out on a day hike today, ill take some pictures, maybe video. And I have untied the alpine butterflies before, i think they're fairly easy to untie by their nature, it may help that amsteel is so slick and that im only really loading one side of them.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post

Sorry if not on topic ...but that is why I sleep with my feet not in the footbox a lot of the time....no calf ridge....hang depending.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    John, I like the idea but wonder if the butterfly loops might gradually shrink away. I tried the butterfly on my (removable, Lash-it) ridge line to preset a couple of lengths that I could quickly switch between. Problem was, the butterfly loops kept pulling apart because the Lash-it was so slippery. I'd fear the same with AmSteel, so I'm curious how you fare.

Cheers!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Sorry if not on topic ...but that is why I sleep with my feet not in the footbox a lot of the time....no calf ridge....hang depending.
    Shug
    Off topic again... but... Shug, I'm going to give that a try this afternoon. Thanks for the tip!
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast