Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    155
    Images
    1

    Two hammocks instead of double-layer

    I have two Grand Trunk Ultralight hammocks. In an effort to control costs, I have managed to hang both hammocks together and slide my Walmart blue CCF pad in between for insulation. The tests I've run in the garage indicate that this might work well... We'll see when I get to go camping next time.

    Has anyone tried doing this? It adds 300g to my overall pack weight but is more comfortable (and infinitely more adjustable) that simply sleeping directly on the pad.

  2. #2
    Senior Member TadTheTinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, Ar.
    Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!
    Posts
    134
    Images
    3
    Sounds like a workable idea. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has tried this.
    Help a Boy Scout Troop in your area - become a mentor.

    God created Firemen so cops would have heros.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dartmouth N.S. Canada
    Hammock
    Tree Boat
    Tarp
    Guide
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    straps
    Posts
    120

    hammock doubled

    We have tried this several times. The scouts like to do this at winter camps to help them add insulation. The second hammock is strung so that there is no air gap but the added insulation doesn't get too compressed.

    In the Scout PIF thread we posted some winter pics and one or two you can see that set up. The coldest we have done is -29c. They used CCF pads and summer bags as insulation.

  4. #4
    PapaSmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fredericksburg, Ohio
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Posts
    1,855
    I have a friend that does this exact thing with a GT Nano strung below his regular hammock.

  5. #5
    PapaSmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fredericksburg, Ohio
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Posts
    1,855
    I posted a Poll here to see if there would be enough interest in offering a double layer option with the GT Ultralight.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    Posts
    36
    Hmmm, i'm really liking this idea- it seems like the UQ's people are making are constantly having to be fiddled with to prevent cold spots or drafts after they shift in their sleep, when a 2nd hammock would simply fit the bottom of the existing hammock perfectly...

    But to take this a step further, wouldn't it be cheaper to simply make a perfect replica, dimension-wise, of your hammock (in my case, a GT Nano), out of Silnylon 1.1? Another GT Nano runs $60, but since the 2nd hammock would not be load bearing (other than insulation), you could instead buy ~10 feet of 1.1 Silnylon for only about $25 with shipping from some places. It would still only weigh about 6 ounces, and I would have to imagine it would be a pretty simple cut and stitch job.

    You could then purchase 3 layers of 2 yards of Insultex or 2 yards of 5 ounce Primaloft (not sure if that would have equivalent R value)

    Let me know if my logic is flawed somewhere, i'm pretty new to all this stuff!
    Last edited by xeren; 04-27-2011 at 10:52.

  7. #7
    Senior Member stefprez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Suspension
    Webbing/Carabiners
    Posts
    352
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by xeren View Post
    Hmmm, i'm really liking this idea- it seems like the UQ's people are making are constantly having to be fiddled with to prevent cold spots or drafts after they shift in their sleep, when a 2nd hammock would simply fit the bottom of the existing hammock perfectly...

    But to take this a step further, wouldn't it be cheaper to simply make a perfect replica, dimension-wise, of your hammock (in my case, a GT Nano), out of Silnylon 1.1? Another GT Nano runs $60, but since the 2nd hammock would not be load bearing (other than insulation), you could instead buy ~10 feet of 1.1 Silnylon for only about $25 with shipping from some places. It would still only weigh about 6 ounces, and I would have to imagine it would be a pretty simple cut and stitch job.

    You could then purchase 3 layers of 2 yards of Insultex or 2 yards of 5 ounce Primaloft (not sure if that would have equivalent R value)

    Let me know if my logic is flawed somewhere, i'm pretty new to all this stuff!
    I was thinking pretty much the same thing. In theory it seems to work... (Granted that's in my head, and who knows how much we can trust that! )

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by stefprez View Post
    I was thinking pretty much the same thing. In theory it seems to work... (Granted that's in my head, and who knows how much we can trust that! )
    I think the most likely flaw in the plan would end up being that for some reason the second hammock just doesn't hang the same way as the first, and so doesn't form a tight seal.

    I think I'm going to give this a shot- I'm going to order some 1.1 ripstop nylon and about 6 yards of Insultex- will probably run me about 60 bucks, but if I just lay the IX in there, i can make adjustments until it actually conforms properly to the bottom of the hammock without being squished at any point, and I can avoid the possibility of making a throwaway DIY for so much money.

    Assuming things actually work out, I might sew a few buttons into the sides of the ripstop nylon just beyond the hems, so that I can button each layer of IX onto the ripstop, and remove as many layers as I need if it's too warm on any given day.

    I also might use long strips of excess IX and roll them and then sew them into the side hems so that each side is thicker and prevents air gaps.

    What am I getting myself into? I don't even own a sewing machine. I'm going to have to borrow one from a friend if I want to add all these extra features...

  9. #9
    Senior Member stefprez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Suspension
    Webbing/Carabiners
    Posts
    352
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by xeren View Post

    What am I getting myself into? I don't even own a sewing machine. I'm going to have to borrow one from a friend if I want to add all these extra features...
    Looks like someone is having their feet come out from under them on the slippery slope that is DIY Gear...

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by stefprez View Post
    Looks like someone is having their feet come out from under them on the slippery slope that is DIY Gear...
    Ha, yeah, I've got a bad feeling about this...

Similar Threads

  1. double layer hammocks
    By jungle tom in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 13:31
  2. Double Layer Hammocks
    By ATHiker in forum Pads
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 08:23
  3. Double layer hammocks
    By WhiskyJack in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 12:00
  4. Two hammocks as double layer
    By mad_angler in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 15:01
  5. double layer hammocks
    By traviso71 in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 21:58

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •