Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Two hammocks instead of double-layer

I have two Grand Trunk Ultralight hammocks. In an effort to control costs, I have managed to hang both hammocks together and slide my Walmart blue CCF pad in between for insulation. The tests I've run in the garage indicate that this might work well... We'll see when I get to go camping next time.

Has anyone tried doing this? It adds 300g to my overall pack weight but is more comfortable (and infinitely more adjustable) that simply sleeping directly on the pad.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!
    Images
    Sounds like a workable idea. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has tried this.
    Help a Boy Scout Troop in your area - become a mentor.

God created Firemen so cops would have heros.

Hammock
    Tree Boat
    Tarp
    Guide
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    straps

hammock doubled

We have tried this several times. The scouts like to do this at winter camps to help them add insulation. The second hammock is strung so that there is no air gap but the added insulation doesn't get too compressed.

In the Scout PIF thread we posted some winter pics and one or two you can see that set up. The coldest we have done is -29c. They used CCF pads and summer bags as insulation.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I have a friend that does this exact thing with a GT Nano strung below his regular hammock.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I posted a Poll here to see if there would be enough interest in offering a double layer option with the GT Ultralight.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    Hmmm, i'm really liking this idea- it seems like the UQ's people are making are constantly having to be fiddled with to prevent cold spots or drafts after they shift in their sleep, when a 2nd hammock would simply fit the bottom of the existing hammock perfectly...

But to take this a step further, wouldn't it be cheaper to simply make a perfect replica, dimension-wise, of your hammock (in my case, a GT Nano), out of Silnylon 1.1? Another GT Nano runs $60, but since the 2nd hammock would not be load bearing (other than insulation), you could instead buy ~10 feet of 1.1 Silnylon for only about $25 with shipping from some places. It would still only weigh about 6 ounces, and I would have to imagine it would be a pretty simple cut and stitch job.

You could then purchase 3 layers of 2 yards of Insultex or 2 yards of 5 ounce Primaloft (not sure if that would have equivalent R value)

Let me know if my logic is flawed somewhere, i'm pretty new to all this stuff!
    Last edited by xeren; 04-27-2011 at 10:52.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xeren View Post
    Hmmm, i'm really liking this idea- it seems like the UQ's people are making are constantly having to be fiddled with to prevent cold spots or drafts after they shift in their sleep, when a 2nd hammock would simply fit the bottom of the existing hammock perfectly...

But to take this a step further, wouldn't it be cheaper to simply make a perfect replica, dimension-wise, of your hammock (in my case, a GT Nano), out of Silnylon 1.1? Another GT Nano runs $60, but since the 2nd hammock would not be load bearing (other than insulation), you could instead buy ~10 feet of 1.1 Silnylon for only about $25 with shipping from some places. It would still only weigh about 6 ounces, and I would have to imagine it would be a pretty simple cut and stitch job.

You could then purchase 3 layers of 2 yards of Insultex or 2 yards of 5 ounce Primaloft (not sure if that would have equivalent R value)

Let me know if my logic is flawed somewhere, i'm pretty new to all this stuff!
    I was thinking pretty much the same thing. In theory it seems to work... (Granted that's in my head, and who knows how much we can trust that! )

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by stefprez View Post
    I was thinking pretty much the same thing. In theory it seems to work... (Granted that's in my head, and who knows how much we can trust that! )
    I think the most likely flaw in the plan would end up being that for some reason the second hammock just doesn't hang the same way as the first, and so doesn't form a tight seal.

I think I'm going to give this a shot- I'm going to order some 1.1 ripstop nylon and about 6 yards of Insultex- will probably run me about 60 bucks, but if I just lay the IX in there, i can make adjustments until it actually conforms properly to the bottom of the hammock without being squished at any point, and I can avoid the possibility of making a throwaway DIY for so much money.

Assuming things actually work out, I might sew a few buttons into the sides of the ripstop nylon just beyond the hems, so that I can button each layer of IX onto the ripstop, and remove as many layers as I need if it's too warm on any given day.

I also might use long strips of excess IX and roll them and then sew them into the side hems so that each side is thicker and prevents air gaps.

What am I getting myself into? I don't even own a sewing machine. I'm going to have to borrow one from a friend if I want to add all these extra features...

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xeren View Post

What am I getting myself into? I don't even own a sewing machine. I'm going to have to borrow one from a friend if I want to add all these extra features...
    Looks like someone is having their feet come out from under them on the slippery slope that is DIY Gear...

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by stefprez View Post
    Looks like someone is having their feet come out from under them on the slippery slope that is DIY Gear...
    Ha, yeah, I've got a bad feeling about this...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast