diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    no sew option get some tule and some ripstop knot them together at each end add whoopies hang up then add pad insultex or other insulation inbetween worked for me with pe foam down to 12 degrees.
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcrafter View Post
    no sew option get some tule and some ripstop knot them together at each end add whoopies hang up then add pad insultex or other insulation inbetween worked for me with pe foam down to 12 degrees.
    Is tule the bug net stuff? why would you need that for an underquilt?

Hammock
    HH Expedition zip, WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    I have done this. I used a nylon web pocket hammock, then layered (bottom to top) w/p fabric, quilted fabric wrapped around fleece, space blanket, & pad, was very warm (hot) at 20 degrees.
    formally known as "carolb"
    Spread the love baby, Spread the Love!
    Get the Ketchup!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Silnylon
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    I bought a GT UL when I saw it on sale for $20, just to play with it. When it showed up, I played with it a little, adding whoopie slings and so forth. I noticed that the weight limit on it was 250, where I am just above that. So, I've been hesitant to get into it.

So, if I tried to layer a second one with the first, how much would it help with the weight limitation?

Also, if anyone has done this, what have they found to be the best way to connect the two? I do not have a thread injector, nor know how to use one.

So, any progress updates to this idea yet?

Thanks,

~Mindwalk

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    The idea has been around for a while. Check out the Garlington website.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I can't see hauling around an extra set of suspension components, just to get a double layer hammock.

An idea I have been kicking around is a differential cut dl, so that blankets, pls, quilts, sleeping bags, etc could be suspended w/o compression beneath the top, weight bearing layer.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    if you're ONLY doing it for the purpose of having a place to put insulation I would think using tulle designed more like an under quilt with only one layer and no stuffing would work.

This would give you more adjustment on the ends to keep it all snug against the hammock and eliminate the excessive suspension design since its not going to be holding any significant weight anyway.

Then you just slip in a foam pad, IX, an extra sleeping bag or a pile of leaves from the ground as desired and adjust the snugness so there's no gaps and no squashed insulation.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I would look into how the bottom pockets are on the clark hammocks... It is sort of like what you guys are talking about... I was in below freezing degree weather in New Zealand last week on top of a mountain and had a clark nx-200 on loan... I just put a few items in the large velcro pockets under the base of my hammock to weight down the bottom layer and create a air barrier... It worked VERY well and was quite toasty all night long... In my next DIY project I am hoping to incorporate something similar to this... Plus you can use the pockets for gear storage or additional insulation if you wanted to...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xeren View Post
    Hmmm, i'm really liking this idea- it seems like the UQ's people are making are constantly having to be fiddled with to prevent cold spots or drafts after they shift in their sleep, when a 2nd hammock would simply fit the bottom of the existing hammock perfectly...

But to take this a step further, wouldn't it be cheaper to simply make a perfect replica, dimension-wise, of your hammock (in my case, a GT Nano), out of Silnylon 1.1? Another GT Nano runs $60, but since the 2nd hammock would not be load bearing (other than insulation), you could instead buy ~10 feet of 1.1 Silnylon for only about $25 with shipping from some places. It would still only weigh about 6 ounces, and I would have to imagine it would be a pretty simple cut and stitch job.

You could then purchase 3 layers of 2 yards of Insultex or 2 yards of 5 ounce Primaloft (not sure if that would have equivalent R value)

Let me know if my logic is flawed somewhere, i'm pretty new to all this stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by carolb View Post
    I have done this. I used a nylon web pocket hammock, then layered (bottom to top) w/p fabric, quilted fabric wrapped around fleece, space blanket, & pad, was very warm (hot) at 20 degrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugd View Post
    The idea has been around for a while. Check out the Garlington website.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I can't see hauling around an extra set of suspension components, just to get a double layer hammock.

An idea I have been kicking around is a differential cut dl, so that blankets, pls, quilts, sleeping bags, etc could be suspended w/o compression beneath the top, weight bearing layer.
    Very interesting thread! No doubt this approach can be made to work either somewhat or great.

Is the infamous and oft either loved/hated HH Super Shelter not just- kind of- a double hammock design? I remember in years past, when folks would seem to be having trouble setting theirs up, as I had originally, I would tell them to just do what I had finally done. Just picture it as 2 hammocks, with one hung under the other, and various forms of insulation hung in between. Such as the stock HHSS OCF pad and space blanket, and/or kidney/torso OCF pads/fleece/down/Garlington Insulator trash bags, whatever.

Of course, a big difference is the HHSS UC is NOT designed to carry any weight at all past some insulation. It would be quickly damaged by body weight. And, it has built in elastics meant to keep the pad/insulation just snug up against the back to touch but not compress. This elastic tension is enough to partially compress down unless some weight is added to overcome some of the tension, though it will not compress the OCF pad or fleece and such. And of course it is a very custom fit to the HH hammock. But I guess so is a second identical hammock used as an UC.

And most hammocks used as the insulation holding UC will be breathable rather than Sil-nylon. And the SS UC does not generally supply enough tension to work well with a CCF pad, whereas with a second hammock you could provide whatever tension required.

I think an HHSSUC weighs about 7 oz? It also is big enough to come up over the edges of the hammock to provide excellent wind blocking. Any way, like Krugd said, this idea has been around for a while. In one form or another, and used successfully by more than a few. Especially if you count the HHSS as a "dbl hammock" design. Sort of anyway!

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Navigator, this thread and this thread: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34367 are starting to converge on the same topic. You'll find some good ideas there, too. Good luck!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12