Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    in the org. post and his subsequent ones, there's no mention of amsteel. but since the loop is required to take a straign from either end, kiss principle applys

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
    in the org. post and his subsequent ones, there's no mention of amsteel. but since the loop is required to take a straign from either end, kiss principle applys
    Yes, I was thinking of amsteel, althought you are right, I stated 'single braid' rather than amsteel. I was surprised reading through the thread Knotty posted where they had difficulties with the alpine butterfly in amsteel. Tricky stuff. In that thread they suggested the zeppelin knot. I'm still intrigued by the possibility of a splice, possibly a long bury with stitching to secure it.

Thanks again for all the input.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailH4x View Post
    The main issue with knots in Amsteel is the knot slippage over time due to the ropes lask of stretch and friction.

Could this not be overcome by tying the knot, then stratigically "tacking" the parts in place with a few stiches of polyester thread? This could still sllow the rope to carry the load while the stitching may maintain the knot symetry when the loads are removed?

My .02
    H4x
    My guess is the knots would start to slip and then put strain directly on the stitching tearing them out. This would be a different situation than the stitching used in a simple eye splice.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
    Yes, I was thinking of amsteel, althought you are right, I stated 'single braid' rather than amsteel. I was surprised reading through the thread Knotty posted where they had difficulties with the alpine butterfly in amsteel. Tricky stuff. In that thread they suggested the zeppelin knot. I'm still intrigued by the possibility of a splice, possibly a long bury with stitching to secure it.

Thanks again for all the input.
    Using a bury was my first thought but the rope wouldn't load up properly to get the Chinese finger trap effect. Most of the load would be on the stitching.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Images
    You are probably right, the bury on one half of the eye would not be gripped by the outer line, resulting in the stitching on the bury to experience stress rather than what it should normally do which is just to hold everything in position until adequate stress is on the outer line. Sounds like that might not work.

I was doing an unrelated search about soft shackles when I ran across this thread on a sailing forum where the poster shows a mid-line eye splice from a triple-locked brummel and suggests it can be loaded from either lead without concern. It is shown with a 2-1 tackle block attached to it, so it seems the creator is confident in its ability to carry significant loads.

Do you think I can open up the braid of 7/64 amsteel enough to pass another eye splice through the line if I want to add more than one eye to a single length of line? I may have to try this.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I like the looks of those soft shackes built into the line ends. I may try that for a suspension, but I wonder about the loop pulling back on the stopper knot. Wouldn't it open up the exit point of the bury?

I think I'll try the mid-line eye, too, but I have the same question about the bury exit points being pulled open when there's tension on the line in both directions. I don't know that the buries would slip if they're long enough, but would the braid opening up at the exits weaken the line?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12