Tarp
    kelty noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    Images

sag

I have slap straps now, but will be ordering woopie's asap. If I use a sturdy ridge line to set sag, will the slap straps still affect the sag as they stretch? I'm going to be in the field for 12 days, and won't be getting the woopie's till I return. Thanks

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Just thinking out loud here...the ridge line controls the minimum sag. Stretching slap straps would tend to increase the sag so the ridge line won't control this.

Where the ridge line would help, is to allow you to set the suspension tighter than normal to compensate for the expected stretching, while still maintaining the correct initial sag.

Banned
    Hammock
    WBB 1.7 Double,DIY traveler
    Tarp
    hennessy hex,DIY
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Question what would you use for a ridgeline. I have a ENO Double with whoopie slings and want to add a ridgeline. I am not sure how to add or what to us eto make it. I have some amsteel 7/64 but am not sure if this is over kill. Also what size should I make them? any help would be great.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    While you're at it order some tree huggers to replace those slap straps too. The slap straps are made of nylon and keeps stretching to affect your sag (been there done that). But webbing made of Polyester doesn't stretch. Try Arrowhead Equipment. You can get a set for about 6 bucks.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Just thinking out loud here...the ridge line controls the minimum sag. Stretching slap straps would tend to increase the sag so the ridge line won't control this.
    I'm tempted to agree with this, but I don't think it's so black and white.
    If the hammock and suspension are coming off the trees at the right angle to begin with, I think any sag is only going to have a large effect on height. The angles should stay close to original, but your butt will start rubbing the ground. The ridgeline won't offer any help against increasing sag, but I just don't think there is much of an increase to the sag by stretching suspensions.

The danger of a ridgeline here, is causing the user to ignore proper angles and just pull it tight knowing the hammock's sag will be near correct. In this case, the stretching of the suspension would have a larger effect on the angles which would probably impact the sag more greatly.

I just climbed out of the hammock myself this morning, so I don't know if this is even close to correct. I'm basing it on my own SlapStrap experiments. I never awoke uncomfortable from changing sag, just from my butt hitting the ground. So consider this my offering of morning assumptions.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    Images
    Also, the 30 degree sag is with the hammock Hung, ridge line in place and no weight in hammock, right?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mwm View Post
    Also, the 30 degree sag is with the hammock Hung, ridge line in place and no weight in hammock, right?
    Yep. You may find you like it with a lower or higher degree, but thirty seems to be the magic number for most.

Edit: Yes, it is with the RL in place and no weight in the hammock.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    Images
    Thanks to,all

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbogg View Post
    Question what would you use for a ridgeline. I have a ENO Double with whoopie slings and want to add a ridgeline. I am not sure how to add or what to us eto make it. I have some amsteel 7/64 but am not sure if this is over kill. Also what size should I make them? any help would be great.
    Not overkill at all. I believe 7/64 Amsteel is what WB and Hennessy both use for ridge line. I think the critical issue is that your RL be a static line.

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just picked up an adjustable ridgeline made of dynaglide from AHE - it is great! Not too thick, not too thin.

Of course, you could try your hand and making your own from the same or similar braided line. I made one out of braided mason twine, but it just seemed a bit thin (good as a tarp line, though.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast