Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member R00K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Posts
    926

    Exclamation Thru-Hike Sleep System

    So I'm leaving for Georgia in 11 months. When I think about the fact that I was originally supposed to be out there right now, I can't help but laugh. But regardless of that, I'm very glad we decided to push it back a year to train more, save more, and gear test more.

    I've done a lot of upgrading to my setup with the help I've received here on the forums. I'm waiting on my modified Nano 7 with whoopies and bugsock from Randy "PapaSmurf", and my Zpacks 4 season tarp from Joe, which I found thanks to you guys, and keeps my combined hammock and tarp weight to under a pound. Of all the forums I visit HF.net is by far the most inviting and the most helpful.

    Now I'm trying to figure out a sleep system that doesn't involve a different bag for every season (I sleep too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.)

    Anyway - I'm considering this:
    Speer PeaPod (20* -- 36 oz)
    Gossamer Gear Thinlight Insulation Pad 1/8" or 3/8" (2.5 oz -- 5.5 oz)
    Sea to Summit Thermalite Reactor (Adds 15* -- 8 oz)
    *I may consider adding down booties.

    With this set up I think I'll be keeping things light, warm, and in the summer I can use the peapod as an UQ or send it home for a month or two.

    Thoughts? Think it's worth making the investment and testing it?
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

  2. #2
    Senior Member Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Western Maryland
    Posts
    1,808
    Images
    51
    I've used the GG 1/8" pad and find it a pain to lay on top off. It's so thin, it ended up bunched up and malformed by the end of the night. Very hard to keep in place with me directly on top of it. Hard to explain, but it did not work at all for me. This was in my GT Ultralight. I tested it in a WB Traveler DL and it worked much better. Just a thought. If I were to put a pad in my GT U, it'd be the 1/4" one.

    The rest of your set up is almost identical with what I have. Except the GT Ultralight v/s Nano (I'm too big for the Nano). This lightweight package will do you very well, I'm sure.

    Good luck with the gear testing and prep for an AT Thru. Get out often and test away. Feel confident with what you have, and go for it!!!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    2,006
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    So I'm leaving for Georgia in 11 months. When I think about the fact that I was originally supposed to be out there right now, I can't help but laugh. But regardless of that, I'm very glad we decided to push it back a year to train more, save more, and gear test more.

    I've done a lot of upgrading to my setup with the help I've received here on the forums. I'm waiting on my modified Nano 7 with whoopies and bugsock from Randy "PapaSmurf", and my Zpacks 4 season tarp from Joe, which I found thanks to you guys, and keeps my combined hammock and tarp weight to under a pound. Of all the forums I visit HF.net is by far the most inviting and the most helpful.

    Now I'm trying to figure out a sleep system that doesn't involve a different bag for every season (I sleep too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.)


    Anyway - I'm considering this:
    Speer PeaPod (20* -- 36 oz)
    Gossamer Gear Thinlight Insulation Pad 1/8" or 3/8" (2.5 oz -- 5.5 oz)
    Sea to Summit Thermalite Reactor (Adds 15* -- 8 oz)
    *I may consider adding down booties.

    With this set up I think I'll be keeping things light, warm, and in the summer I can use the peapod as an UQ or send it home for a month or two.

    Thoughts? Think it's worth making the investment and testing it?
    From what I just read on their site, the Sea To Summit Reactor increases warmth 25* and weighs 14oz. Could they possibly have two versions and I missed it?

    Miguel

    Miguel

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rolloff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Leveland
    Hammock
    BIAS WW DH Freebird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    JRB SS HG Clone
    Suspension
    Whoopies Straps
    Posts
    1,698
    Looks to be too warm for all but the southern sections. That should keep you toasty, after that you can send things back. You can always vent until you get tired of carrying the weight.

    Wait for a few of the AT Thru's to sound in on this one though. Lots of experience out there.
    Signature suspended

  5. #5
    Senior Member R00K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Posts
    926

    Talking Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    I've used the GG 1/8" pad and find it a pain to lay on top off. It's so thin, it ended up bunched up and malformed by the end of the night. Very hard to keep in place with me directly on top of it. Good luck with the gear testing and prep for an AT Thru. Get out often and test away. Feel confident with what you have, and go for it!!!
    Thanks again Deucalion! I'm thinking about getting the largest one (they say it's for hammocks) and the smallest one. I can try them both out, and I think I can handle the $10 loss if I don't use the 1/8". I can always use it for something else I'm sure

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    From what I just read on their site, the Sea To Summit Reactor increases warmth 25* and weighs 14oz. Could they possibly have two versions and I missed it?
    Yes indeed, the Reactor and the Reactor Extreme.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Looks to be too warm for all but the southern sections. That should keep you toasty, after that you can send things back. You can always vent until you get tired of carrying the weight.

    Wait for a few of the AT Thru's to sound in on this one though. Lots of experience out there.
    My thought was to use it all in the south, and when it got warmer us the ppod as an UQ, and either bounce box the pad or switch it out for the lightest one.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

  6. #6
    exup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Posts
    1,199
    Images
    2
    The 1/8" pad is not easy to work with at all. That all seems like a lot of insulation. What about going with some summer rated quilts. Hammock gears will take you to around 35 degrees, an extra ounce or two in the UQ and I'm sure you could get to 30 degrees. Worse comes to worse if it gets real cold you can just sleep in a shelter with both you UQ and TQ on top. Assuming you'll still have a pad.

    Just an idea.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Raul Perez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Posts
    2,363
    Images
    49
    The 1/4" is much easier to work with.

    1/8" is great for 3 season insulation for your legs if you have a partial UQ
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

    The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

    http://watermonkey.net/

    Youtube Channel:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

  8. #8
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    6,852
    Images
    198
    I have a pretty good collection of the gear used for hammock camping. I also thru'd and I can't imagine a system that is good for GA in March, PA in July, The Whites in Aug, and Maine in Sept.

    I guess the best you can do is double up in the beginning and end. You could go with a pad and a thin UQ for the colder months. And lose one of them for the middle. Same thing for the top insulation with 2 thinner TQ.

    I would suggest instead you have a cold and warm weather system. Also consider the possibility that you may lay on a hard surface now and then. There are hostels that don't have mattresses and you may even wind up on someones living room floor or God forbid a shelter. I would stretch out my pad and lay in the sun on rocky overhangs to eat lunch. For that I really like the z-lite.

    If you still only want one system I would try a 3 season UQ with a half of z-lite pad that can be a torso pad. That way you can move it up to your torso and put your pack under your legs for the real cold nights. Then in the summer you will probably just forgo the pad and loosen the UQ on hot nights.

    For a top quilt you will need a 20 degree bag to start with. That could be a good 3 season TQ or 2 summer TQs. I would have to attach them together somehow or one will slip off the other. I'd still suggest a 3 season TQ and something light for summer.

    I did SNP to Glencliff with a fleece bag as a TQ and a marmot helium for the beginning and end. I only used a z-rest for the entire trip but that is because my hike predated Under Quilts.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

  9. #9
    Senior Member R00K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Posts
    926
    I'm trying to avoid multiple UQ/Sleeping bags. It's still entirely possible I end up with a few OQ/UQ/Pads, but I'm hoping to avoid that. The PeaPod stands out to me because it's versatile. I can us it as intended, or just as an UQ, and can still be used out of the hammock. I'm considering a Zpacks Blast 32, I could carry the Gossamer Thinlight 3/8" to frame out the pack, and use the reactor as a blanket in the summer.

    Is it that you don't think this will work? Will I end up too hot or cold? Just trying to clarify!
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

  10. #10
    kayak karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South, South Jersey
    Posts
    3,347
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    I'm trying to avoid multiple UQ/Sleeping bags. It's still entirely possible I end up with a few OQ/UQ/Pads, but I'm hoping to avoid that. The PeaPod stands out to me because it's versatile. I can us it as intended, or just as an UQ, and can still be used out of the hammock. I'm considering a Zpacks Blast 32, I could carry the Gossamer Thinlight 3/8" to frame out the pack, and use the reactor as a blanket in the summer.

    Is it that you don't think this will work? Will I end up too hot or cold? Just trying to clarify!
    you will be seeing 50 degree nights even in july and the reactor may not be amble coverage, especially if its breezy out. this will put you in a peapod at only 50.

    you have 11 month to test gear for 10-85 degree nights at least your not going to be bored.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Similar Threads

  1. I need a multi-use sleep system
    By hal.thompson.7 in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-12-2014, 10:26
  2. Help me with my sleep system...
    By Demeter in forum Top Insulation
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 16:32
  3. Know of any sleep system for two?
    By xutopia in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 20:56
  4. should i pop for sleep system?
    By SNIPERFX in forum Bottom Insulation
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 14:01
  5. sleep system for newbie
    By tagg in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-15-2009, 16:23

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •