Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    If you really like slap straps, make a set out of polyester webbing, and be done with it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    If you really like slap straps, make a set out of polyester webbing, and be done with it.
    Never said anything about really liking them, never even said I like them.

I have them, can't return them, so I was hoping for an a few informed opinions if it would work or not. I have poly straps made already and use deer stand straps as well.

It seems like for every one actual feedback in response to the post, I seem to get 5 answers that misconstrued, add words to what I say or are just useless. what gives?

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I see that you made a pair of DIY slap straps out of cargo straps- now that shows initiative, given all the bemoaning about the originals! How do you like your DIY version?

What do you mean by doubling them up? I can't quite visualize that. Do you mean a loop every few inches without a space between. That would seem like a real improvement on the originals.

Personally though I prefer the adjustability of my whoopies over the slap strap concept even though I did not have any real problem with the original slap-straps. They did stretch a few times, then were fine thereafter.

Sorry you feel others aren't being helpful - this is a really down to earth and friendly forum and almost everyone I've met here works to keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I see that you made a pair of DIY slap straps out of cargo straps- now that shows initiative, given all the bemoaning about the originals! How do you like your DIY version?

What do you mean by doubling them up? I can't quite visualize that. Do you mean a loop every few inches without a space between. That would seem like a real improvement on the originals.

Personally though I prefer the adjustability of my whoopies over the slap strap concept even though I did not have any real problem with the original slap-straps. They did stretch a few times, then were fine thereafter.

Sorry you feel others aren't being helpful - this is a really down to earth and friendly forum and almost everyone I've met here works to keep it that way.

Hi Lizzie, you get two straps when you buy them. I meant that if you take them both, wrap around the tree, then fasten to the two loops with a carabiner. Then you would double the strength of the straps.

I guess I am wondering if the 2 together would stretch as bad as one?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My guess would be that if you doubled up like that, only 1/2 the force would be on each strap, so they would stretch half as much.

However, if you used that on one end and poly on the other, you would slide to one end of the hammock through the course of the night. Not very pleasant.

You may not be able to return the slap straps, but for some reason they always sell in the for sale forum here. I don't know why.
    Be like Bob

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    A fellow on another thread wraps them around a tree a few times and has small beaners on each loop to hang gear on. I thought that was an ingenious way to make them useful.

As for your question I'm afraid they would still stretch.

I sold mine on eBay in about 7 hours of posting them. I just couldn't sell them here to my fellow hangers.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinwalter View Post
    It seems like for every one actual feedback in response to the post, I seem to get 5 answers that misconstrued, add words to what I say or are just useless. what gives?
    In Dave's defense, you really didn't provide much information in your original post. Most folks here were probably thinking the same thing he said.

FYI - Your flippant remark won't get you far with the nice people of Hammock Forums.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    In Dave's defense, you really didn't provide much information in your original post. Most folks here were probably thinking the same thing he said.

FYI - Your flippant remark won't get you far with the nice people of Hammock Forums.

Jerry
    Check my posts Jerry and see how how flippant I am. I have bent over backwards to be "nice" and appreciate the great feedback when its given

Thanks for the warning on how things work around here!!!

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTAN View Post
    I found some mini s biners that might be used to hang things on a ridge line or maybe to hang an underquilt. They are from a NITE IZE key rack. They are 1-1/8" long and 1/2" wide. I know they will support a 7 lb.can of paint.You get 6 plastic mini s biners as part of the key rack and a small metal biner clip that the mini s biners are attached to.I found them at BASS PRO SHOP for $5.49 +.27 GST.
    Wow, Those are just what I've been using for my underquilt and a few more things! They Rock but I sort of doubt they would fit on the slap strap links.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast