Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JRB Tri-Glides

did anyone find out if theyb are anodized?

Images
    I had been wondering if these were any dif than the cinch buckles I have from OnRope. I had not thought about using those cinch buckles in the way that JRB seems to be suggesting, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. But I guess it would be an ounce or two heavier. And stronger I imagine.

Should be getting mine in a few days. Will let you know how they work out on my Speer....
    Hammock hanging and fly fishing;it just doesn't get any better!

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Like warbonnetguy I was wondering if they were anodized, also if the edges contacting the webbing were chamfered, and if the edges of the part were smooth(machined) or rough(water jet)... if the jrb's aren't anodized and chamfered my boss is up for offering some that are anodized and chamfered on the contact surface for about 10.00 per pair, we didn't figure up any bulk buys, guess he could...
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    WBB1.7, HH EXP UL , Claytor Nonet
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, RMS
    Suspension
    buckles or whoopie
    Images

They're heeeere.....

Got mine today in the mail. Quick turn by JRB as usual.
    Initial impression is that these are great, incredibly light and seem strong, will apply the lard tail test in hammock later and repost.

Here some pictures mean while

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Ooooooooh, those look nifty.
    Trust nobody!

Sweet! Thanks for the Tri-Glide eye candy! Looking forward to getting mine...

Here's a question for you guys who like to crunch numbers?

Approximently how much force is exerted on these Tri-glides given a 70kg man hanging at a 30 or 35 degree angle? Is it the same as a buckle setup? Seems like it would be less? Keep in mind that I am not a math guy and probably way off? Just curious?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I got mine today and tried to set up using one of them the way I use my cinch buckle or rings. I think it was a mistake to use them in that manner... It's better to follow the directions on the package. I got a lot of slippage and a good bit of abrasion on my straps in the process. (Pictures may follow). The corners of the triglides are pretty sharp, and I would bet that future ones might be champhered (is that a word? or bevelled, if you prefer). The slippage was similar to what I got with ring buckles unsecured with the half hitch, but since the corners were sharp, it abraded my strap.

At this point, I would read the directions carefully and see if you can use them in the intended way only.

Repeat, these did not work for me as a replacement of the cinch buckle.

I'm still trying to find a way to use them in my system. Maybe I could replace my 'biner, but otherwise don't know. I have my hammock tied with larkshead to spyderline tied with a larkshead to my cinch buckle, and the straps strung through the buckle with a 'biner on the end. If you can enlighten me as to how you would use these triglides in this system, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

ON the bright side, one triglide weighed in at .4 oz, where one cinch buckle was 1 oz. So quite a savings in weight there.
    Last edited by NCPatrick; 02-27-2008 at 19:34.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I got mine today and tried to set up using one of them the way I use my cinch buckle or rings. I think it was a mistake to use them in that manner...
    They really weren't designed to be used that way, I think. It looks like the intended use is for setups where the webbing is connected directly to the hammock end, and extends all the way to and around the support.

The corners of the triglides are pretty sharp, and I would bet that future ones might be champhered (is that a word? or bevelled, if you prefer). The slippage was similar to what I got with ring buckles unsecured with the half hitch, but since the corners were sharp, it abraded my strap.
    That's really disappointing. The fit and finish of metal items that comes into contact with webbing is important.

On the bright side, one triglide weighed in at .4 oz, where one cinch buckle was 1 oz. So quite a savings in weight there.
    You saved 1.2 ounces, but they didn't work....
    I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. - Cormac McCarthy