Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Howdy Pardner!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wichita, Ks
    Posts
    657
    Images
    14

    Howdy Pardner!

    Hello! I have been browsing awhile now and thought I would introduce myself....

    I am from Wichita, Kansas. I am 27, and started getting into biking seriously when I was about 24. I decided to quit smoking, and I needed something to burn off some stress. (Also, I had an extra hour of time to "burn" a day, so I had to fill it with something!)

    Well, this led to me being interested in bike-touring. I have chosen to go the camping route rather than the credit card route, and have rather enjoyed many campsites over the years much more than I ever would some terribly over-priced hotel. And, I have had a few nights that I would probably trade in! (Like the night I slept in a ditch, exausted from trying to find the campsite that ended up being about 1/8 mile away! Sheesh....)

    I have done a few trips. One from Wichita to the middle of Missouri where I learned what it is like to make every mistake probable including choosing heavy gear, not preparing for the weight properly, cooking very bland food that made me blow all my money from days 6-8 on yummy greasy local food, and probably more stuff that I cannot remember!

    Then I did a trip the next year from Steamboat Springs to Salida, Colorado on my mountain bike with my girlfriend. For this trip, I cut probably 6 or 7 lbs. on the sleeping system alone...and there were two of us! Although the altitude negated that advantage rather well, leaving our Kansas lungs heaving for O2 that wasn't there...and we just kept climbing for almost the whole time!

    The last trip was through Missouri again, but this time along a rail-trail with my mom. It was awesome to have my mom as my touring partner, as it really strengthened our bond...I am sure you understand.

    But the last time I was feeling guilty about being gone so long, and my schedule is giving me two days off at a time, so this is what brings me to hammocking! I am looking to do overnighters where I ride about 50 miles, set up my hammock and sleep, then get up and ride back. This way, I am just gone for the evening, night, and morning...

    So, I am trying to go as light as possible! Anyway, that is me, and I appriciate you taking the time to read about what brought me to hammocking. I have plenty of questions as I develop my system, and I am excited to be able to get advice from some people who know what they are doing...Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Preacha Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northwest, Arkansas
    Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Posts
    650
    Images
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    Hello! I have been browsing awhile now and thought I would introduce myself....

    I am from Wichita, Kansas. I am 27, and started getting into biking seriously when I was about 24. I decided to quit smoking, and I needed something to burn off some stress. (Also, I had an extra hour of time to "burn" a day, so I had to fill it with something!)

    Well, this led to me being interested in bike-touring. I have chosen to go the camping route rather than the credit card route, and have rather enjoyed many campsites over the years much more than I ever would some terribly over-priced hotel. And, I have had a few nights that I would probably trade in! (Like the night I slept in a ditch, exausted from trying to find the campsite that ended up being about 1/8 mile away! Sheesh....)

    I have done a few trips. One from Wichita to the middle of Missouri where I learned what it is like to make every mistake probable including choosing heavy gear, not preparing for the weight properly, cooking very bland food that made me blow all my money from days 6-8 on yummy greasy local food, and probably more stuff that I cannot remember!

    Then I did a trip the next year from Steamboat Springs to Salida, Colorado on my mountain bike with my girlfriend. For this trip, I cut probably 6 or 7 lbs. on the sleeping system alone...and there were two of us! Although the altitude negated that advantage rather well, leaving our Kansas lungs heaving for O2 that wasn't there...and we just kept climbing for almost the whole time!

    The last trip was through Missouri again, but this time along a rail-trail with my mom. It was awesome to have my mom as my touring partner, as it really strengthened our bond...I am sure you understand.

    But the last time I was feeling guilty about being gone so long, and my schedule is giving me two days off at a time, so this is what brings me to hammocking! I am looking to do overnighters where I ride about 50 miles, set up my hammock and sleep, then get up and ride back. This way, I am just gone for the evening, night, and morning...

    So, I am trying to go as light as possible! Anyway, that is me, and I appriciate you taking the time to read about what brought me to hammocking. I have plenty of questions as I develop my system, and I am excited to be able to get advice from some people who know what they are doing...Thanks!
    Welcome Aboard,

    It is good to have you here, and if you are interested, the 5th weekend in March I am hosting a hang at Devil's Den State Park just South of Fayetteville, Arkansas. You will be able to see a lot of different hammock set ups there, and it will also be a great time to relax with fellow hangers.

    Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

  3. #3
    Senior Member headchange4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Posts
    6,265
    Images
    35
    Howdy amd welcome to Hammock Forums!
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett



    Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    Howdy Narwhalin and welcome to the Forums!

    You've made a great choice moving to hammocks. My winter weight is about 6 pounds for my whole sleep system, so it can be done and done in style.

    Wichita East High Class of 1988. Go Blue Aces!
    Trust nobody!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    That sounds like a blast. One of these days I'll get around to getting a motorcycle and do some touring on it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

  6. #6
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    10,762
    Images
    319
    welcome to HF.
    i smoked for about 10 years & quit about 25 years ago! GOOD MOVE!!!
    good move on the hammock too!

    here's an early thread about biking w/ hammocks...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...highlight=bike
    use the search box to find a few more that bike w/ their hammocks.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

  7. #7
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    use the search box to find a few more that bike w/ their hammocks.
    The search feature on the forum itself is really not very effective, sadly.

    This Google search
    will yield far better results.

    Welcome to the forum!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

  8. #8
    Senior Member headchange4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Posts
    6,265
    Images
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    welcome to HF.
    i smoked for about 10 years & quit about 25 years ago! GOOD MOVE!!!
    good move on the hammock too!
    I also quit smoking. About 4 weeks clean. Now I won't get those nasty looks when I am camping with you guys and I light up a cigarette.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett



    Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

  9. #9
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,654
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I also quit smoking. About 4 weeks clean.
    All right HC4U! If you can stay off them for a month you can stay off them forever.

    Grizz

  10. #10
    Senior Member fin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On the trail
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Posts
    2,498
    Images
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I also quit smoking. About 4 weeks clean. Now I won't get those nasty looks when I am camping with you guys and I light up a cigarette.
    Good job! Stick with it, it gets easier. I quit cold turkey on October 1st, on my way back from the BWCA last year. I haven't missed it at all, and haven't had one craving. I get enough smoke from the campfires.

Similar Threads

  1. Howdy
    By Waterbuffalo in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-25-2013, 15:26
  2. Howdy! :)
    By whittlinwill in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-10-2011, 00:19
  3. Howdy!
    By LUMBER in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 20:36
  4. Howdy
    By Pudden in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 20:22
  5. howdy howdy, fng from the evergreen
    By evman in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 01:12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •