WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    OOOO yea thanks Adarack Great question I'm saving this thread.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    There is also Mt. Greylock reservation. The AT cuts right thru the middle of it. There are shelter, a campground, and some remote hiker sites. I am always looking for people to "hang" with in Western Mass.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    BA insul air pad
    Suspension
    webbing
    I am new here too. I've been able to use my 1.1dbl wbbb 3 times now and I am looking for more places to hike and hang in the area too. Most of what I've seen posted here is significantly west of me though.

I live on the south shore. Does anyone know of good hiking and hanging areas in southeastern MA or RI?

I've seen the bay circuit trail suggestion but as far as I know that is still mostly a work in progress down here. Is backpacking allowed there?

If you make your way out towards Boston, you should try hiking in the blue hills for the views of the city and harbor islands. However camping is not allowed, but I can think of a few stealth sights in the more remote areas of the park with fewer trails.

There is a park near me that allows camping though I am not sure if it allows hammocks - wompatuck state park. Hiking there is fairly dull compared to the blue hills but it does seem to attract a lot mountain bikers.

Are there any places on the cape that are hammock friendly? I am wondering if it would be worth biking the rail trail then hanging for the night and biking back. I suppose if there are no good places to hang there sleeping on the beach would be on option if not for the bad tick and mosquito season this year.

What about the harbor islands? Apparently a few of the islands have campsites but do they have good trees for hanging and do they allow it?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zelein View Post
    I am new here too. I've been able to use my 1.1dbl wbbb 3 times now and I am looking for more places to hike and hang in the area too. Most of what I've seen posted here is significantly west of me though.

I live on the south shore. Does anyone know of good hiking and hanging areas in southeastern MA or RI?

I've seen the bay circuit trail suggestion but as far as I know that is still mostly a work in progress down here. Is backpacking allowed there?

If you make your way out towards Boston, you should try hiking in the blue hills for the views of the city and harbor islands. However camping is not allowed, but I can think of a few stealth sights in the more remote areas of the park with fewer trails.

There is a park near me that allows camping though I am not sure if it allows hammocks - wompatuck state park. Hiking there is fairly dull compared to the blue hills but it does seem to attract a lot mountain bikers.

Are there any places on the cape that are hammock friendly? I am wondering if it would be worth biking the rail trail then hanging for the night and biking back. I suppose if there are no good places to hang there sleeping on the beach would be on option if not for the bad tick and mosquito season this year.

What about the harbor islands? Apparently a few of the islands have campsites but do they have good trees for hanging and do they allow it?
    Maybe you can contact Skypainter for that info. He is an outdoorsey type or he may know someone who would know about that information. Please keep me in the loop, Harbor island camping sounds like fun.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Rings and webbing
    So, yes this is a year old, but I was searching...

This June I spent a couple nights in Wompatuck - not hiking, out here for sightseeing and some job interviews. I didn't hang, but the check in guys said it would have been OK.
    I did hang at Wells SP in Sturbridge though. Some decent, but short, trails out there.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie,Dutch
    There is camping on 3 of the Boston Harbor Islands. I looked into it last year, there are trees and hamocking is permitted, but the season is very short. You also have to bring you own water. I think it is Memorial Day to Labor Day. The other thing you have to contend with is the flight path going into Logan. It's my understanding you would need to be either extremely hard of hearing or have a very good set of ear protectors. LOL

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    I have stealth camped in the Quabbin fun but not exactly legal....
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    Northern Ct on the AT. Bear Mtn, Sages Ravine up into Mass, Race Mtn...all great with easy parking/access.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    We have hammocked at Wompatuck State Park without issue. They have enough sites that you can get far enough away from your neighbors. That park has great mountain bike trails that we do our bikejoring on.
    I recommend Greylock- we have backpacked it 4 times and loved every time we were there.
    I have looked at the Bay Circuit Trail and not sure if you are allowed to camp overnight? Would this be stealth.. cough camping?
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7DL
    Tarp
    W.B. BMJ
    Don't forget the leento in October Mtn. It's an easy 1 mile hike from a parking area maintained by the town. It's also about 1.3 miles from my house lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast