Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Reverse Ring Buckle Attachment?

Got my JRB Bridge Hammock the other day and I'm just waiting for the weather to settle down so I can give it a try in the field (its just not the same in the garage).

I've been using the ring buckle attachment on my homemade Speer-type and I really love the ease of setup it provides.

The JRB comes with 1" webbing already installed. So rather than cut it off, I'm thinking I may simply reverse the direction. That is:

1. Create a webbing tree hugger with a loop sewn into one end and a CC buckle or pair of SMC rings sewn into the other end. I may or may not use a carbiner (haven't decided yet, and with the loop I can always add one later). I've used the SMC rings before; but I may try the CC buckle this time.

2. Thread the existing webbing from the JRB through the CC buckle or rings on the tree hugger.

My questions are:
    1. Any reason this won't work?
    2. Is it okay to sew the rings/CC buckle into the webbing? (I've always tied them on with rope before)
    3. Anyone know what webbing JRB uses? Its thinner and seems lighter than the Strapsworks webbing I'm currently using.

In case you're wondering why I don't just cut the webbing off the JRB; I frankly haven't decided if I'm going to keep it yet. I LOVE the flat lay; but the shoulder squeeze is a bit much (as others have noted) and its very heavy compared to other solutions. I'll see what I think after using it for a couple of trips.

p.s. to moderator; I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in Homemade Gear Discussion. Feel free to move it if needed.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    1. Any reason this won't work?
    2. Is it okay to sew the rings/CC buckle into the webbing? (I've always tied them on with rope before)
    It should work just fine. I've done something very similar to that before as a test, and it held nicely.

I'm sure the JRB folks will chime in that they have a new slider that would go on the webbing without requiring any cutting. It is a new product, though, and hasn't been publicly reviewed yet.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    It should work just fine. I've done something very similar to that before as a test, and it held nicely.

I'm sure the JRB folks will chime in that they have a new slider that would go on the webbing without requiring any cutting. It is a new product, though, and hasn't been publicly reviewed yet.
    Yep I'd order a couple of those sliders and see how you like them.
    My JRB bridge has been modified with cinch buckles,Spyderline, polyester webbing, and carabiners. The Spyderline is connected to the outer ring and then attached to the cinch buckle.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    that should work but once you decide on a hammock i would consider adding the buckles (which ever kind you use) just a few inches from the end of the hammock.
    the advantages are that you don't have to mess w/ a separate tree hugger & you can fine tune the hammock's adjustments from under your tarp when it's raining.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback. We'll give it a try. I saw the JRB Tri Glide listing earlier and completely forgot about it. Looks like they may be perfect; so I ordered a pair. I'll let everyone know how well they work.

Anyone know what kind of webbing the Jacks are using on the Bridge hammock? It seems thinner and lighter than the Strapsworks webbing I'm using now.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. We'll give it a try. I saw the JRB Tri Glide listing earlier and completely forgot about it. Looks like they may be perfect; so I ordered a pair. I'll let everyone know how well they work.

Anyone know what kind of webbing the Jacks are using on the Bridge hammock? It seems thinner and lighter than the Strapsworks webbing I'm using now.
    It's polyester webbing. Says so on their site. It is 1" wide webbing and will be lighter than the Strapworks 1" webbing. Plenty strong enough.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 02-25-2008 at 12:10.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts