Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WBBB- awesome hammock. Question?

Hello everybody,
    Finally got a BlackBird and freaking love this thing. Really enjoyed it on my hiking trip with my son!!!
    One question. I have a dot of shoulder squeeze on the right shoulder. Nothing really big at all. Just wondering if this is as expected? I am wondering if I may be setting it up wrong.
    If you are on the fence- buy this hammock. It's awesome.

Thanks,
    todd
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And sits in peace with or without our presence.
    my quote.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    How low or high you attach the shelf tie out might have some effect. Also, how far on the diagonal are you? Having recently acquired a 1.1 double layer, I'm in hammock love. Hope that helps.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ditto the shelf tie out advice. It helps "open up" the hammock. I would also recommend adding in more sag and raising the foot end 6-8 inches higher than the head end.

That helps me get a comfortable lay.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    Ditto the shelf tie out advice. It helps "open up" the hammock. I would also recommend adding in more sag and raising the foot end 6-8 inches higher than the head end.

That helps me get a comfortable lay.
    I sometimes get some left leg pinch there in the center, right under my knee. Would raising the foot end help alleviate that? Also, can you adjust the stock RL? To be honest, I've only been able to hang in my BB indoors since I got it and don't have the proper anchor heights to get my angles where I want them (can only get about 20degrees on my foot end); will try to perfect that this weekend during its first outdoor deployment. IF Friday ever gets here, that is!!
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flangler18 View Post
    I sometimes get some left leg pinch there in the center, right under my knee. Would raising the foot end help alleviate that? Also, can you adjust the stock RL? To be honest, I've only been able to hang in my BB indoors since I got it and don't have the proper anchor heights to get my angles where I want them (can only get about 20degrees on my foot end); will try to perfect that this weekend during its first outdoor deployment. IF Friday ever gets here, that is!!
    I did the same thing and personally, the angle of the dangle made a huge difference. Once that was set... nighty-night rabbit.
    Here is how I adjust the stock RL. I changed my suspension to whoopies and larksheaded a 10" continuous loop on to the end of the stock RL. I then wrapped a prussik on to the whoopies. This only allows me a minimal amount of adjustment but the 'Bird is pretty spot on for the RL. I may be able to take/post pics later. HTH.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Thanks Syb...looking forward to seeing your setup when you get a chance. I am certain it's the dangle angle, but I can't re-angle that dangle til I git out thar.
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Okay, so here's a few pics to hopefully explain what I was saying in my earlier post. The first pic shows the foot end and my left hand is holding the whoopie sling which is attached to the hammock via a larkshead. My pinky is pushing up the RL so you can see it is separate from the end gather. The next pic shows the continuous loop with a prussik around the whoopie. It's only about a 10" continuous loop but the perspective of the photo makes it seem longer. The other end of the continuous loop is attached to the RL via a larskhead. To adjust the RL simply move the prussik and set the tension. Like I said, the stock RL length is pretty spot on but I tried a slight adjustment and found heaven. I did notice a small tab at the end of the zipper and I'm not sure if that had the stock RL through it or not, I'll ping Brandon and see what he says. He makes an outstanding product and I wouldn't want to do anything that harms my Bird.
    HTH.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Cool--thanks Syb. Yeah, I'm disinclined to tinker with BB perfection myself. More likely my angle is just not right. I'll be able to tinker with it this weekend for sure...hopefully at MAHHA. If I do make it up this weekend, I'll be sure to look for the guy with the freakishly large choppers and check out his system.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flangler18 View Post
    If I do make it up this weekend, I'll be sure to look for the guy with the freakishly large choppers and check out his system.
    I'm all about the dental plan.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I got a reverse version (head end to the left with zipper on my right hand side) so I get a little right calf pinch. A stuff sack filled loosely with clothes knocks out two birds so to speak. It eliminates the little bit of hyperextension I get and it holds the taut fabric off my calf a bit as well. If you get real slunk down into the foot box you move the pressure off your calf and up to the bend of your knee (unless you are taller than about 6').

I never dickered around with my RL though I have had it quite loose when hanging. Hope that helps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast