Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images

Compressing your underquilt

How do you know if you're not fitting your underquilt properly, causing insulation compression?

I've seen others mention that they thought they weren't warm enough because their Nest wasn't adjusted properly, causing insulation compression.

How can I tell if I'm doing this?

Thanks!
    This is my signature.

Images
    I was able to do this in an open hammock by reaching out and playing with it. The only thing I can think of in the HH is to have someone else lay in it and you can adjust it from the outside. You might be hanging it too loose also.

Or you could make your own Speer hammock.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Michele, et al,

Set up at home...get someone to lay in the hammock...

First test... you check that the UQ is gently against the bottom of the weighted hammock, use one hand between the hammock and UQ... to low? slide one of the SS out bound 1/2 inch... recheck... still low? slide the other SS... recheck.... repeat as necessary.

Second test... using the other hand, placed below the UQ ... estimate the distance between the hands.... It should approximate the loft/thickness standard for whatever UQ you are using (example, Nest is 2 inches).... Too thin? slide one SS inward about 1/4 inch ...recheck... readjust as necessary.

Once correct... pull the SS tight on its basic girth hitch and leave in that postion... Then you are set...and if you ever remove the SS you know where to reattach it for your particular hammock.

This is really easy... Almost all of the posts I ever read and replied too over the last three years about UQ sag/tension were caused by not reading directions and not testing and preseting the SS with help the first time.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    If I am testing it at home I would assume I would need someone of the same approx. size/weight as myself to lay in the hammock while I adjust it to get the correct fit, right?

Would it be possible to get a really close fit my measuring the distance from the bottom of the hammock to the ground while empty and then have someone else take the same measurement while I am inside the hammock and then attach the underquilt with a gap that is the difference between the 2 measurements? I could make any final adjustments after getting the intial hang in the right area.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have them sit in there and then hand them jugs of water or something until they weigh as much as you. The most important part is under the butt...if that's set the rest of it will be pretty close.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Once correct... pull the SS tight on its basic girth hitch and leave in that postion... Then you are set...and if you ever remove the SS you know where to reattach it for your particular hammock.

This is really easy... Almost all of the posts I ever read and replied too over the last three years about UQ sag/tension were caused by not reading directions and not testing and preseting the SS with help the first time.
    Pan
    Pan,
    Are you saying that once you get the SS in the right position, that tightening them will help set them so that they STAY where you put them? (or have I just not had enough coffee yet ....)

(All this info has been very helpful- keep it coming guys- thanks!!)

Perkolady- the hopefully SOON to be cold weather hammocker

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Michele, et al,

Set up at home...get someone to lay in the hammock...

First test... you check that the UQ is gently against the bottom of the weighted hammock, use one hand between the hammock and UQ... to low? slide one of the SS out bound 1/2 inch... recheck... still low? slide the other SS... recheck.... repeat as necessary.

Second test... using the other hand, placed below the UQ ... estimate the distance between the hands.... It should approximate the loft/thickness standard for whatever UQ you are using (example, Nest is 2 inches).... Too thin? slide one SS inward about 1/4 inch ...recheck... readjust as necessary.

Pan
    Oh...was I supposed to read the directions?! No seriously, this makes sense. The first time I set all this up was at the Speer's hangout in NC, and I had everyone helping me, so I actually didn't read the directions....so it's all THEIR fault!

I'll see if I can find someone that weighs close to me and try this out, or better yet, I'll get my partner to do the measuring with me in it. And because I've given up coffee completely....was does SS stand for? I'm assuming it's the suspension cords w/the micro biners on them right? And one last question (because I'm 100% a visual learner here), when you said,

"pull the SS tight on its basic girth hitch and leave in that postion" is this the hitch on the spectra side of the HH knot, or the hammock side of the HH knot?

Man..thanks Pan, it sure is a luxury to have the creators of these products here to ask questions.
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I assumed SS = Side Supports.

Michele,

I'm sure you have seen it but the JRB website has installation instructions with pictures. You can see it here:

http://216.83.168.206/index_files/Pr...structions.htm

I'm like you. I need pics

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Oh...was I supposed to read the directions?! No seriously, this makes sense. The first time I set all this up was at the Speer's hangout in NC, and I had everyone helping me, so I actually didn't read the directions....so it's all THEIR fault!

I'll see if I can find someone that weighs close to me and try this out, or better yet, I'll get my partner to do the measuring with me in it. And because I've given up coffee completely....was does SS stand for? I'm assuming it's the suspension cords w/the micro biners on them right? And one last question (because I'm 100% a visual learner here), when you said,

"pull the SS tight on its basic girth hitch and leave in that postion" is this the hitch on the spectra side of the HH knot, or the hammock side of the HH knot?

Man..thanks Pan, it sure is a luxury to have the creators of these products here to ask questions.
    Michele, et al,

SS = Suspension System....

Girth hitch normally goes on the spectra side of the HH knot.... the secondary overhand hitch goes at the HH/ hammoch material point.

BTW.... I get a beer an answer after the first three questions....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    quilts are not needed,jack has all of you fooled into believing that they are
    neo

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast