Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Hanging in the rain...

Up to now I have been pretty lucky and almost always had dry weather while setting up my hammock. But recently, it has become a lot more rainy. Usually I hang the hammock first, ensure that the angles are right etc., and then I put up the tarp. I'm still an amateur with regards to hammocking, so I spend quite some time gettting it right. No problem in fair weather - but not good if it's raining.

Are there any tricks for setting up while it's raining? How can I make sure that the tarp is in the right place? Even with getting up the tarp over the hammock already hanging, I often have to readjust. Also my ridgeline often slips if I set it up with the "v" so it doesn't get in the way of the suspension.

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I saw this earlier today and now see that there are no replies.

I'll confess that in my short hanging career, I've not set up in the rain...
    But from what I've read (and common camping sense) I'd for sure set up the tarp first (as centered as possible between the trees) and then set up the hammock at my leisure underneath that.

I've set up both enough times that I'd have a pretty good idea how high to set the tarp...

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    I hate setting up in the rain. Hiking in it is tolerable but setting up and packing up in the rain is just not fun. If it is just about to rain it isn't so bad, set up the tarp and put your gear under first then wearing rain gear you can take your time with your hammock and quilts etc. Its nice to have at least dry ground under you in a rain storm if you can get set up before or early in a storm.

My biggest mistake I made last time was I normally lay my gear I might want on a garbage bag (my pack liner) almost under my hammock. Last time it rained all that gear got wet. (my hiking socks shorts shirt etc.) I will now always place my gear or whole pack in a garbage bag before i sleep when it is raining.

If it is raining hard and blowing and chances are things will get wet.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I suggest snake skins/tarp tubes for your tarp and keep them in the outside pocket of your pack. Hang it first, release the tarp from the skins and pitch. Yes, the ground under the tarp will be wet from the rain but it won't get any wetter.

How is your RL slipping? Explain more on that please.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    I always ALWAYS set the tarp up first, rain or shine. Take off your pack cover, if you have one, and use that as a sort of ground cloth, if needed. I pack my tarp in an outer pocket, or a tunnel pocket, so that I dont have to dig inside for anything. Then, once I get that set up, I have a dry place to work. Everyone has their own method, but this one has worked for me.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Practice, practice, practice.

Have hung for the past 2 seasons - but that is actually only once a month during the 3 season months and once a winter - you do the math - not that much, but I setup in my backyard, basement, local park anytime I get the urge or a new idea or have trouble in the field I come home and do so, etc.

I'm always learning ways to simplify, improve, or perfect my setup and tear down.

I did recently start setting my tarp up with the ridgeline following my hammock suspension similar to what's demonstrated here. I don't do the knot tying and so forth but I do use the general setup of not hanging my tarp ridgeline straight across.

I've found it easier to adjust my hammock once the tarp is up like this because the hammock suspension does not intersect the tarp suspension and the tarp can easily be brought up or down without actually moving the tarp attachment points to the tree but by tightening or loosening the ridgeline and tieouts (move the tarp higher by loosening the tieouts and tightening the ridgeline, move the tarp lower by loosening the ridgeline and tightening the tieouts).

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Practice, practice, practice.
    It really is that simple.

I had the good (?) fortune to live in Florida when I got started down this hanging road. Finding a rainstorm to practice in was NEVER a problem. I simply set my tarp up centered between my two selected trees. Then just center the hammock under the tarp. Bishop bags (or similar) are really handy for this because I can set the suspension on the footend at what I know (have seen it a zillion times) to be close to the right place under the tarp. Hammock stays nice and dry and clean because it's still in the bag while I'm doing this. Once that's done, I just clip the headend, make minor adjustments, and lock everything down. Really simple, just requires some repetition. oldsoldier is pretty smart by practicing his rain skills even when it isn't raining.

Best advice for setting up in the rain, don't rush. It's tempting, but it will wind up taking you more time. You've been hiking all day anyway. I'm betting a shower will do you some good.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I figure in the rain...there is always a bit of a chance of some wetness. But....the pay-off is that once I am tarped up and get under and set-up ....change into dry clothing....sit in the hammock and watch the deluge having a warming cocoa in the piney woods I sigh a sigh of contentment.
    It does take some practice and the best way is to be out on a backpacking trip and experience it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think the others have given sage advice. I'll just say that cold and wet sucks. It's really no fun at all when you're trying to setup in the rain when your hands don't want to work right.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Everything in my pack is in separate plastic bags, so it usually stays dry regardless of the weather. So, when I get to a place I want to camp, I hang my pack from a nearby tree (Or even one I'm going to hang from) with the pack leash & take my tarp from it's outside pocket [so I don't have to open my pack to the elements] & set it up, stakes & all. Then everything goes under the tarp & I get out my hammock & such, my Black Bishop Bag is more or less waterproof, so it can be outside for the few seconds it takes me to wrap my suspension straps around tree #1. I then walk, nice & dry under my tarp to tree #2 & Hook that strap up. A quick tug & all is tight with the hammock. My pack then hangs from the head end of my suspension & all that had to come out to get my hammock out goes in it, thereby keeping everything off the ground. I slip on my camp shoes & hang my boots from / on the pack. SO, the only thing on the ground are my tarp stakes & camp shoes.
    In the morning IF it's still raining, I reverse the process, ending up with everything in the pack hanging from it's leash on a nearby tree. I do a quick look around to see what I have left behind, and I ALWAYS leave something behind.
    If not raining, I take the tarp down first (after hanging the pack for easy access*) to allow easier access to everything else.

*@ 56 my back isn't as happy being bent over putting stuff in my pack as it was 40 years ago. With the leash, I can have the top at near eye level if I want to.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast