Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images

Hammocks on the Outer Banks?

Planning a bike trip, just me, my bike, and my hammock, from Raleigh to Southern Shores on the Outer Banks. I'm pretty confident about finding "hangable" sites on the mainland, but once I hit the Outer Banks (starting in Ocracoke), I'm less certain. There are a couple of state parks I was considering, especially near Frisco/Buxton because that seemed like a reasonable stopping place, but it seems like it might be mostly beach, and pretty light on trees. Does anyone have any hammocking experience on the Outer Banks? I've only been as far south as Nags Head, and I've never camped there.

I can't speak for all of the OB sites but the sites around Ocracoke do not have suitable tree/large shrubs for hanging. I had to stealth camp in the surrounding wooded area. Sounds like a fun trip what does your route look like.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Route isn't finalized yet. I'm still in the planning stage. I do want to take the ferry to Ocracoke and go north from there, so, given that there's basically one road that does it, I guess that part of the route is determined.

Other than that I'm thinking two nights on the mainland before I get to the Outer Banks. Possibly a night in Cliffs of the Neuse State Park and one in the Croatan National Forest.

Images
    Been to shackleford twice, one of which was in a hammock. We didn't have too much trouble finding a spot for 3 hammocks but once you got under the trees the mosquitoes were unreal. The area is nice, but it was deffinately one of my miserable trips. There was also horse poo EVERYWHERE. It was like hanging in a horse stall. There's also cactus at the beach that's rather small and easy to miss. Hateful little buggers.

We did a trip to Bear Island one year too. Same cactus problems but no poo. We mixed penny royal essential oil into our big spray that year and no one was bit by anything the whole time but you smell pretty minty to say the least. I was never sure if it really worked that well or if was just a good year for bugs.

Not sure of how much mileage you can cover a day but the Cliffs seem a bit close to Raleigh compared to the distance between them and Croatan. Not much to see there either. Distance wise I'd think something closer to say Kinston would be spaced better but I'm not sure where you'd hang.

Just there last weekend scoping things out and yes there are ample sites at the frisco site by the air strip. I even have a map I picked up with sites I circled. Maybe when I get home I can find it and offer some intel.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Just there last weekend scoping things out and yes there are ample sites at the frisco site by the air strip. I even have a map I picked up with sites I circled. Maybe when I get home I can find it and offer some intel.
    I would love that. That Frisco site is one that I was considering, but none of the photos I could find looked very promising from a hammocking perspective.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    ... the mosquitoes were unreal.
    The family and I spent a few days camping through parts of the Outer Banks area. Out of all of my scouting days and all of my military days, these nights were the worst I have ever experienced with mosquitos. Hands down.

I would definitely go again, but I would bring bigger and better mosquito repellant.

Good luck.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    ... but once you got under the trees the mosquitoes were unreal.

... We mixed penny royal essential oil into our big spray that year and no one was bit by anything the whole time but you smell pretty minty to say the least. I was never sure if it really worked that well or if was just a good year for bugs.

Not sure of how much mileage you can cover a day but the Cliffs seem a bit close to Raleigh compared to the distance between them and Croatan. Not much to see there either. Distance wise I'd think something closer to say Kinston would be spaced better but I'm not sure where you'd hang.
    I've heard horror stories about the mosquitoes and I hope to be prepared. I'll keep that essential oil tip in mind.

As for the route, I'm certainly open to suggestions. I don't know of any camping near Kinston, but it would get me a little closer to Croatan. Close enough that I might consider going through Croatan and straight on to Cedar Island so I could catch the first ferry the next day. But really the stops I have planned are fairly evenly spaced. I'm in north west Raleigh, so I have to go through/around town before leaving town. As a result, Cliffs of the Neuse is about 70 miles. Day 2 to Croatan is almost 80. It is my longest day of riding, but not by much, and moving my 1st night's stop to Kinston would really just switch those mileages around. But there is some merit to making every day easier than the day before.

I did I bicycle tour of the Outer Banks in 2007. We first camped at the Driftwood Motel & Restaurant on Cedar Island. I have never seen so many mosquitoes in the tree section of the campground -- I cannot recommend camping in the trees there. You must get out in the ocean breeze to escape the mosquitoes on Cedar Island.

Once we took the ferry to Ocracoke, we bicycled north to Nags Head, then rode the same route back down to Oracoke. Mosquitoes were not an issue once off Cedar Island.

At that time I was not using a hammock, but I don't recall many spots where hammocks could be used unless you take a one-tree portable hammock stand to supplement lack of trees (do a search to find a post I made about such a stand).

If you go during summer, expect nights to be very, very warm and humid. In a tent it is uncomfortable, but with a hammock the breeze may be comfortable. On Cedar Island I expect mosquitoes will bite through the bottom of your hammock unless you have a full coverage net or double bottom hammock.

PS. I see you use a Hennessy. When I used a Hennessy Deluxe, mosquitoes bit through the bottom regularly. I now use a double layer hammock exactly because of that reason.

Bryan

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    There's still trees in the OBX lol... you'll be fine.

There are even some campgrounds too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast