Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It (knot) held tight in the wind this afternoon. I wish I would have read this thread earlier in the day, I bet winds were gusting up to 25 or 30 for a while. That would have been a good test, but still pretty breezy and no slippage.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes and if you look at the 2 half hitches he illustrates right after his taut line hitch, you will notice that he ties the 2cd half hitch incorrectly also.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    Again I see someone is trying to improve on the Taughtline Hitch. I can see how this adjustable grip hitch is a good hitch, but not any better, or faster or easier to tie than a Taughtline hitch. In fact on the same page as the link above this person shows the "inferior" Taughtline Hitch, TIED INCORRECTLY! No wonder the Slide and Grip Hitch grips better for him, he is tying the Taughtline all wrong!

I know, you've all heard me say this before, but I will keep saying it. I have not yet found a slide and grip hitch that is easier to tie, faster to tie (or untie) or that grips better than a correctly tied Taughtline hitch!

Incorrectly tied Taughtline Hitch

Correctly tied Taughtline Hitch

I have never used Mason Line tho

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    Sorry Hogn8r,

They both looked the same to me. I like the taughtline hitch ordinarily, but so far on mason line this adjustable grip hitch is working best.

Dwight
    Good stuff Preacha Man. I guess if someone can't tell the difference between a correctly tied Taughtline and an incorrectly tied Taughtline it would be better to use the Adjustable Grip Hitch. At least you know you are tieing it right!

I bought some Mason Line today and I have my 12 X 12 tarp tied up right now; two with the Adjustable Grip Hitch and two with the regular Midshipman's (Taughtline) Hitch. I'll bet there isn't a tittle's worth of difference in either of them, but I will see in a few days. S'posed to be windy tomorrow again.

For what it's worth, I have never had the Midshipman's Hitch loosen or untie, ever.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Sorry I was looking at the pic on the animated site that showed the wrong way of tieing it. I didn't read where it said that it was the wrong way and may slip. Again I apologize, and now I see the difference.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    No need to apologize Preacha Man. I learned a long time ago that there is more than one knot for a given task (usually) and that when a person likes a particular knot many times it is impossible to get them to try, much less use, another knot.

My only grip is when people say a certain knot is not adequate, but come to find out they are tieing it wrong. The Taughtline is always on top of this list, but there are others as well, even the Mighty Bowline is not immune! You wouldn't believe the ugly knots I have seen people tie and claim it is a bowline!

I tell everyone I teach, no matter which knot you settle on for a task 1) make sure it is right for the task 2) Know how to properly tie it 3) Know how to properly untie it

Okay, now I am starting to sound obsessive...

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Okay, now I am starting to sound obsessive...
    Like my old scout master Mr. Woods
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

I bought some Mason Line today and I have my 12 X 12 tarp tied up right now; two with the Adjustable Grip Hitch and two with the regular Midshipman's (Taughtline) Hitch. I'll bet there isn't a tittle's worth of difference in either of them, but I will see in a few days. S'posed to be windy tomorrow again.

Hey Hog,
    Maybe we need to rename this the Adjustable "GRIPE" Hitch. Knot trying to be sssssKnotty!

So how did the experiment come out? Is there a tittles worth of difference? Next time I go out I'm going to try both myself and see if one is truly superior to the other? I'm passionate about knots also.....
    Hammock hanging and fly fishing;it just doesn't get any better!

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputen View Post
    Hey Hog,
    Maybe we need to rename this the Adjustable "GRIPE" Hitch. Knot trying to be sssssKnotty!

So how did the experiment come out? Is there a tittles worth of difference? Next time I go out I'm going to try both myself and see if one is truly superior to the other? I'm passionate about knots also.....
    LOOK OUT, HE'S GOT A PUN! But seriously folks...

The wind wasn't as bad as the weathermen forecast, but neither knot has slipped as of yet. I have one of each tied to a sling shot tensioner and one of each tied right to the tarp. So far no observable difference. I really need to do a good pull test, but my pull scale only goes to 200 pounds and they both max out the scale.

They are pretty even as far as everything goes, tie time, grip, adjustability. I think the adjustable grip may hold better when tied as a slipped hitch though, but I haven't compared them as slipped hitches yet.

Images
    what's so hard about the trucker's? are you tying the loop as a slipped knot? from there i just tie of with a couple half hitches. i'll have to try the adj grip hitch, looks easier to remember

Hi, I'm new to hammocking, so not familiar with the various ropes. I have fitted a Hennessy Expedition to a Hobie trimaran (successfully) and joined the forum to pick up some tricks. I'm not sure what Mason line is (?bricklayers braided twine), but using cheap twisted polypropylene line, I found a Midshipman's hitch (Ashley #1855) grips far better than an Adjustable Grip hitch. In fact the Adjustable Grip hitch hardly grips at all under load, even with three twists around the standing part. It does seem to work fine with the spectra suspension line on the Hennessy, however.
    Last edited by chrisj; 10-31-2009 at 20:12.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast