Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly & Monsoon
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock webbing

Which Blackbird?

Just curious as to what factors weighed most heavily in deciding which BB hammock?

I can see weight would be a big factor for a lot folks but while I'm conscience of it, I'm not completely wrapped up by weight.

If it helps, I'm 6'3" and about 230(sometimes 215 and sometimes 245....lol). I can hump a decent size pack so not too worried about that. Seems like the DL 1.7 is one of the hottest sellers but do you think it is a requirement for my size and weight?

This is my first camping hammock purchase but I wanted to do it right the first time. Seems like most like the BB the best. My other contender is the Claytor jungle hammock for the value of hammock and tarp combination.

Any advice on which suspension choice offered with the blackbird is appreciated as well.

Thanks for any input!

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    1.7 DL with webbing and buckles
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Images
    you can go dl1.1 if you want
    (see chart: http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocking101.php)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I think Brandon does a pretty good job of helping folks pick which BB is the right one for them (see Hammocks 101 on his site). I chose double layer just to have the option of using a lightweight pad (cheap) for insulation when an UQ (not so cheap) would be overkill. I was surprised how compressible and easy to fit into my pack the BB turned out to be.

As for suspension, I chose the adjustable webbing thinking I would switch out for whoopies down the road. I've found the stock webbing setup to be so easy (functional simplicity = genius), I'm in no rush to switch it out just to save a couple of ounces.
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly & Monsoon
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock webbing
    Ok, pretty much what I was planning to do. 1.7dl with the webbing. Good to know the webbing works well. I'm not worried about the weight difference....at least not right now.

The one thing mentioned that I wasn't thinking about for some reason was that the double layer was to put the foam pad between. I've seen it done in the videos for the BB and the Claytor but didn't register for a reason to order the DL. I was just thinking it was for weight capacity and durability. Thanks for mentioning it!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The double layer hammock also makes it alot harder if not impossible for the skeeters to bite thru the hammock.

I use a 24"x72" wallyworld blue pad in mine and while the double layer does not totally stop the pad from shifting, I find it to be minor.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I got the 1.7 dbl for the comfort factor. It is supposed to provide a more flatter lay. It is definitely comfortable and I can sleep on either side.

I also have Brandon's new strap system. It is incredibly easy to use. I recommend getting a pair of dutch clips to use with your straps that makes it even easier. I have woopies with toggles and straps on my HH, but like the straps much better because of the less tinkering needed to get a good line.

Hope that helps
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly & Monsoon
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    The double layer hammock also makes it alot harder if not impossible for the skeeters to bite thru the hammock.

I use a 24"x72" wallyworld blue pad in mine and while the double layer does not totally stop the pad from shifting, I find it to be minor.
    I've got one of those blue pads.....for $5 I don't mind getting another and trimming it to fit as suggested earlier.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly & Monsoon
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudorino View Post
    I got the 1.7 dbl for the comfort factor. It is supposed to provide a more flatter lay. It is definitely comfortable and I can sleep on either side.

Hope that helps
    That does help, Thank you! I did not know that 1.7dl provided a flatter lay. I did know that the BB in general did provide a flatter lay due to the asymettrical design vs standard hammock designs.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    WBBB 1.7 dbl and a traveler 1.1 dbl owner here. At 260 and 6-3 I like the 1.1 better. That said the hammock I grab almost every time is the Traveler because I like the simplicity and the ability to asym lay without any restriction. Both hammocks have their place though. I'd listen to warbonnetguy about the 1.1, he knows a couple of things about the Warbonnet hammocks.

P.S.

The adjustable webbing is super simple...like mine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast