Tarp
    OES MacCat / H.Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Single to a Double ?

I have a 10yr old son that loves hiking/camping and we're planning our first real outting this year. I have everthing needed for both of us, but I'd rather hang than be a ground dweller. So... My objective is to get my son hangin' too.

In Idaho we can have temps in the 70's during the day, but in the 30's at night and it's eary how you can have mosquitos come out, only to die off a night, only to reappear the next day. So... with these issues, so some sort of insulation and bug netting is a must.

With my limited thread-injector experience, I figured making him a simple double layer gathered hammock seems easy enough, but the idea of attaching a bug net is more than I'm ready to tackle at this point. And... I want a double layer so we can use CCF between the layers for insulation.

What I was considering is purchasing something like a skeeter-beeter, then attaching a 2nd layer of ripstop on the underside.

My other option is to make the hammock and then purchase a separate net like the one used on the Warbonnet Traveler.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions anyone might have would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Festus; 04-30-2011 at 12:42.

"I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains" - John Muir

Festus

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I would think a skeeter beeter treated with permethrin would do you pretty well. With the permethrin, your underside would be protected.

Hammock
    WBBB / ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES MacCat / H.Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

More concerned with Insulation

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm more concerned with insulation than mosquitos biting through the underside of the hammock. As I said, my son is 10yrs so I don't necessarily want to weight him down with a UQ. The less weight, the better I think he'll enjoy it.

I saw a Claytor hammock thats a double layer with attached netting for $70. Considering a Skeeter Beeter goes for close to $50, after my time and cost of attaching a second layer to the underside, the Claytor looks pretty good right now.

"I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains" - John Muir

Festus

Hammock
    WBBB / ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES MacCat / H.Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Claytor it is...

Ended up going with a Claytor for my son. It had all the basic elements I was looking for. Being that he's only 10yrs, and just starting out, I figured a WBBB was just too much.

I'll be upgrading it to Whoopies etc.. I already have a large tarp that will cover both hammocks etc. My son want's to do the bunk-bed type setup, but naturally that will depend on the trees. He's pretty excited...

Festus

• + New Posts