DIY Hennessy
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    Sleeping Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Poncho Tarp?

Has anyone tried using a poncho/tarp such as at Campmor or from ID for their hammock tarp? I've only ever used the stock HH setup but am about to try making my own and not sure if a 5x8 tarp would be sufficient. If it is, it would be nice to have it double as rain gear.

Images
    Hi jb,
    most hammocks are 9-11 feet long.
    I'm not sure you could get your hammock covered in a Dallas rain storm with a 5x8?
    If you're going to make your own I would think something like 10x6 might cover you better.
    Then you'd have a 10' ridgeline and 3' on each side.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessy
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    Sleeping Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was thinking more of an asymmetric type of a rig. The diagonal would give about 9.5 feet, but it's the lack of side coverage that I was thinking would be the problem

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    The Integral Designs poncho is almost the exact same dimensions as the small stock hex tarp from HH. It is one inch shorter in overall length.

As such, I used it instead of the stock hex tarp on a couple of trips when I first started hammocking, rigged in the same flying diamond shape as the HH tarp. It kept me dry for a 6-day trip where it rained nearly the whole time. It does work.

The only problem is that, just like the stock tarp, it is so small all you can do is pull it down close to the hammock and stay inside whenever it rains. After 5 days of feeling gradually more and more claustrophobic, I swore off hammocks and didn't use one again for two years!

Now that I have a larger tarp, along with a hammock that allows me to sit up, I can enjoy the front porch & recliner effect that is such a joy after a day of hiking.

For shorter trips where keeping weight low is your goal, the poncho is okay, especially if it doesn't rain much. But when you're out for a long time, it's nice for your hammock to be your home, not just your crashpad.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I made one. Here is the thread.

Two things I see as useful info.
    Big poncho, which can be too big for any bushwacking (kinda clumsy). It can be cinched up with the shockcords I installed.

Minimal coverage as a tarp, while it does cover my hammock, it may not work well in wind-driven rain. I have not used in a serious storm yet. I did an asym diamond like you mentioned. If the tarp is deployed, leaving the tarp is gonna be wet, since I wouldn't have any raingear.

If you look at Bonsai's video from the Hoosier Hang, you'll see me wearing it.

So other than those gray areas where it may be a problem, it can be worked around and perform the tasks as a double duty item. Using it as an endcap is nice too.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts