Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Deciding whether to tent or hammock

I've done a ton of research about ultralight tents and know exactly which one I would choose. Then came along the notion of hammocks and their reputation for comfort. I was hoping you folks could point me in the right direction if I gave you some facts. My objective is to go as light as possible.

1) I'm 5'11" and 215 lbs.

2) I hike in a heavily-forested area where it is rainy.

3) I've already spent a lot of money on a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag. Can I use it when hammocking?

4) I'll gladly trade money for weight reduction.

5) Would prefer to one-stop shop if that is possible. In other words, not buy each item separately from different vendor.

6) I'm a side sleeper.

7) 3-season use only.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    2/ sounds like the perfect opportunity for hammock use
    3/ sure, combine it with a ccf pad or use as a top quilt and get yourself an under quilt
    4/ in that case you've got lots of options to choose from here is a thread to get you started http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=ultra+lite
    5/ not so sure about this one but i'm sure that that those with more experience will soon chime in
    6/ while personally not a side sleeper there seem to many who are, would suggest searching the forums
    7/ from what i have been able to gather the difference between 3 & 4 season use is the size of the tarp and the temp rating / amount of insulation.
    choose accordingly as you are the only one who can determine what is correct for you

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    1, at 5'11 you are the same height as me and im comfy in my 6 foot limit hennessy. but there are lighter options for hammocks that still fit 6ft great.
    2. I feel twice as safe in a hammock and tarp in rain then I do in my tent where if I touch the walls the water comes through which I hate.
    3. and a sleeping bag makes a great top quilt. I still use a sleeping bag instead of a top quilt
    4. and like it was said above. its similiar to any kind of camping. for the most part the more you pay and invest in your gear the higher the quality and lighter weight. and you will find tons of wonderful vendors here.
    5. you can buy a quilt,tarp, and hammock from Jacksrbetter.com and warbonnetoutdoors.com, wildernesslogics.com and tons more . All I can say is read up on here or go to a hang and lay in some other peoples hammocks and find which ones you like.
    6. if your a side sleeper you will sleep great with the asym lay of most hammocks. Im a chest sleeper . I literaly cant fall asleep on my back until i discovered hammocks. Never been more comfy.
    7. and 3 season use is easy. lots of quilts come in that style.

hope any of this helps

How does one know whether to choose a HH vs Warbonnet vs Clark vs JRB vs "other"?

It seems there are more moving parts to choose when buying a hammock vs. a tent. The process seems daunting.

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie

check out shugs videos

You can search YouTube for shugemery. (How tos and what nots) He got me hooked just by his videos. I camp the Adirondacks mostly in the fall when there is a a lot of rain. Bringing a tarp is a must for me.. cooking, hanging clothes to dry, lounging, etc... so having the tarp over a hammock just makes sense.

Plus one on not being able to sleep on my back until I tried a hammock
    I have a hennessey asym, ENO, and a DIY hennessey clone without the bug netting. All are very comfortable.

Oh forgot.. I am 5'10" @220lbs
    Last edited by lattie11581; 05-02-2011 at 03:18.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
    How does one know whether to choose a HH vs Warbonnet vs Clark vs JRB vs "other"?

It seems there are more moving parts to choose when buying a hammock vs. a tent. The process seems daunting.
    it just seems daunting at first because your so used to hearing tent this tent that. I promise it appeared overwhelming at first. but I watched on here and did my research and knew I wanted a Hennessy. but im not sold on one brand. I love my hennessy but I can't wait to buy a warbonnet. I also have a grand trunk ultralight on the way to my house its like an addiction. but back to topic. theres some differences in the actual hammock but not tons. I believe the main thing with hennessy and warbonnet is that its a full hammock system. hh comes with tarp and attached bugnet so its a full shelter. warbonnet bb comes with attached bugnet and a wider selection of tarps to choose from. but they are a similiar asym lay but the bb is wider. but I mean you can have a clark with the bugnet or without. the jrb bmbh is a bridge and its a truly flat lay. ive always wanted to try it. I mean there are simple hammocks like the gt ultralight,nano 7,eno single and double, trek light, I mean yea there are alot of brands but there are alot of tents also. its the same process. Im not trying to overwhelm.Im no expert on all things hammock but I know it helps to try someone elses. thats why if your really unsure on what you believe you would like. then maybe try and see if there is a hammock hang near you. or if someone who lives close on here would let you try there hammock out. Im sure someone would. its a big family here

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

5) Would prefer to one-stop shop if that is possible. In other words, not buy each item separately from different vendor.
    Are you considering a Western Mountaineering tent to go with your Western Mountaineering bag? My point, is most of the hammock related cottage shops (or big retail names for that matter) excel in one piece of the puzzle; hammocks, tarps, or quilts. Why limit yourself to just one shop, when another does piece 'x' better?

Just trying to help. Buying gear from multiple vendors allows you to really get the system you want dialed-in. Don't make do with one thing when another will do better IMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Here's a good thread comparing tents and hammocks in terms of amount of gear and weight: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=31411

I'm not a backpacker, so I don't tend to look for the smallest, lightest weight options, but I can say that my current set up is smaller and lighter than any tent I've ever used, but that is certainly not to say that there aren't even smaller and lighter tents out there.

My tent struggles have never been so much with weight as with comfort and dryness. And much of the comfort comes from finding a flat enough place to pitch it. The hammock handles the comfort issue and the water issue with ease. There may well be lighter tents out there, but I don't think I'll be looking into them.

I'm also a side sleeper at home. I honestly can't remember how I lay in the hammock. It's a Hennessy Asymetrical model, so side sleeping is probably an option, but all I remember is that I have no problem sleeping in it. I hope to take it for another spin this weekend, so maybe I can pay a little more attention to how I sleep in it then.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am side sleeper too in a bed. Sleeping on my back is so comfortable in my hammock that I have no problem getting to and getting a full nights sleep.

I wouldn't even let that factor into the equation.

Sleeping bag as a top quilt and a ccf pad is a very warm and light combo. Plus it builds in some bit of safety factor in the off chance you do have to go to the ground.
    Last edited by smashdn; 05-03-2011 at 09:16.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've done a ton of research about ultralight tents and know exactly which one I would choose. Then came along the notion of hammocks and their reputation for comfort. I was hoping you folks could point me in the right direction if I gave you some facts. My objective is to go as light as possible.

1) I'm 5'11" and 215 lbs.

2) I hike in a heavily-forested area where it is rainy.

3) I've already spent a lot of money on a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag. Can I use it when hammocking?

6) I'm a side sleeper.

7) 3-season use only.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Are you currently a backpacker?
    Hammocks re-invigorated my backpacking experience.
    1.... you will be fine in any hammock
    2.... I love being in the rain in my hammock...off the ground and dry under a tarp watching the rain wet the forest. I was always a tarp camper before hammocks.
    3...Yes...I have one too. You can just use it as a quilt or in zipped up bag mode although that requires some wiggling.
    4.... think comfort!!!
    5....That can be done in some cases....
    6....Lots on here have terrific results with that.
    7.... No problem.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast