Anyone use a double top quilt when the weather gets cold?

I am looking at making a DIY top quilt. For bags I have a nice setup, I use a 45F bag, my wife has a 30F. In bad weather I use both and the wife uses the couch/fireplace.

Now that I realized my 45F bag is cold even @ 55F in a hammock I am rethinking my setup. I did get a WB UQ (first test run this weekend) but am starting to ponder TQ's.

Does anyone have a dual TQ setup? I was thinking maybe a 40F and 20F, combine for a nice winter setup. Or use seperate when the wife (cold sleeper) and me (hot sleeper) get out during 3 season weather.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Oh yeah! I've used this method a number of times when hanging with groups. I don't have that many winter quilts, but I often hang in a small group of folks without proper gear. Generally, I'll dole out my winter quilts to others and then just use a summer quilt inside a 3-season quilt. Works perfectly fine, just adds a lot of bulk to a pack.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    +1 on Cannibal's advice and I agree on being great to have some spare quilts for friends. Good way to convert people to hangers too.

Fronkey

Images
    Well, I Could only afford 1 TQ so I opted for a 3S and I wear my down coat and syn over pants if I need additional warmth. I'm carrying them anyway so might as well get duel use.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Maybe there's a better thread for this, but I've had similar thoughts. How about a summer TQ combined with a lightweight down jacket, something like Montbell's down inner pants and down socks. I have a veeeery light Montbell down jacket and it seems like with the other items, my TQ would be good to a significantly lower temp.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    Maybe there's a better thread for this, but I've had similar thoughts. How about a summer TQ combined with a lightweight down jacket, something like Montbell's down inner pants and down socks. I have a veeeery light Montbell down jacket and it seems like with the other items, my TQ would be good to a significantly lower temp.
    Any clothing will boost the performance of your TQ. With the down jacket, you might want to wear that backwards and unzipped. Since the down would be compressed when under you, an open backwards jacket will let you shift the part that would be under you to be used for more insulation on the sides.

Down pants can have similar drawbacks with compressing the down under you. If the down can be "migrated" in the baffles to put more on top of you, you will get better benefit. I have some Western Mountaineering Flight pants that I either just drape over me inside my TQ or even throw between my hammock and whatever insulation I am using underneath.

• + New Posts