Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.

Manzana Narrows - San Rafael Wilderness, CA.

Yet another opportunity for a trip presented itself and no one agreed to go with, so... solo it was.

I had planned to leave on the evening of Friday 4/29 but I only had 85% of my packing done by the time I picked up my boys from school that afternoon. You'd think the next three hours or so would have been enough to wrap it up; my kids thought otherwise. After they were down I realized that I wouldn't have any real benefit to leaving and night hiking because factoring in setup/sleep/takedown-repack I would actually arrive at my destination later than I'd like. So I set the alarm for 0400 Saturday morning and was out by 0430. Trailhead just as the sun was starting to peak over the Eastern ridge...

Early on, the scenery changes were dramatic. I admit I had doubts about the alleged "lushness" of the destination:

There were two big SAR "rescues" from this area earlier this year for slides and folks trapped by dangerous crossings, but I had no problems. There were a bunch of each though. The last of the seven miles had most of the crossings:

The actual Manzana Narrows dedicated "campsite" was already occupied by a group. No problem, I didn't need flat ground! Downstream 50 yards or so, and I couldn't even tell there were people around. The blackbird and 3 season incubator:

Busted out the new Ti Tri for this trip, with the intent to try all three fuels. Glad I tried alky-mode first with lunch, because a rolling log crushed my stove! Went with wood for dinner cooking; I can see where this would be addicting not having to worry about fuel:

Evening coffee, tarp in place, wind was HOWLING. Ended up snapping a nylon figure 9, had to improvise with half-a$$ed knotwork. What's up with me and the wind?

At about 2300 I realized the wind was effectively minimizing the efficiency of my UQ. I had my pad, but wanted to try another plan first. After Big Sur (other trip report) I'd tied lengths of shockcord to the two shoulder/waist tie-outs on the right-hand side of my UQ. I had threaded a cordlok on each of those and clipped a mini S-biner to the corresponding left side tie-outs. When it came time to try the things I didn't even have to get out of the hammock! I reached out, up, over, grabbed the cords, and clipped them in; tightened like Brandon has you do for the BB guylines. Perfect!

Fishing was fantastic, even if most were a little on the small side. All successfully released... kind of. One of the little guys may need an eyepatch when he gets older. He'll be the school badboy, maybe he'll even grow up to be a pirate

I have a saying: "It ain't campin till someone finds a snake." I never saw one alive, and had just said it in my head when I came across this little guy on the trail out. I've never encountered a Horny Toad "in the wild" before, very cool:

I think he liked me:

Karma got me for delaying the little guy. About five minutes after I found him I rolled my ankle and gimped for a minute in that "aw-crap-I-hope-I-can-walk-this-off" state of mind. I did (hurts today) and made the just-under 7 miles out in under 2.5 hrs. Not bad. I'll definitely be back.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great report and pictures. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sounds great. You overcame all obstacles (including the kids!). Good idea to wait and leave early the next day. Thanks for the report!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Excellent report and photos Bill.
    Thank you for taking the time to post your report.

I love catching trout that size they are such scrappy fighters.
    Great fix on the UQ.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I had a couple of horny toads as pets growing up. They were really cool and great for kids. Awesome photos dude and glad you had a great time.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice report! Like the fishy. And I'm very happy with the horny toad pics. They used to be everywhere and we played with them all the time as a kid. I wasn't sure if they were still around anymore, though, because I never hear about them anymore.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Man what a beautiful area, that spot by the river is very cool. Nice report, thanks for sharing.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, uq
    Suspension
    whoopies, toggles
    Images
    Really great pics - what a great spot to hang. Good save on the uq . . . a log crushed your stove?!

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Yup. No joke. I sat - log rolled - watched it move a couple feet and come to rest - noted the "crunch" noise - cringed. My fault on two counts: should have anticipated the log rolling (I guess) and the stove was not in it's little tupperware caddy (not 100% sure it would have helped though). The efficiency of that thing in the cone seemed fantastic! I knew I'd want to replace it. I've already had correspondence with Rand at TrailDesigns and ordered some other bits-o'-kit I've been looking for and he's throwing in a "cosmetic blem" stove with my order. Can't say enough good things about that company.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Leaping lizards! That thing has a face only a mother could love!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast