Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    The tree straps normally end up around head height period regardless of your suspension. Using the combined setup mainly helps in that as the trees get wider you don't suddenly need a trekking pole to get the ends high enough. You do need to set the knots tightly, also the continuous loop attached to the hammock's whipping is normally a static length with you adjusting the loop of the alpine butterfly. Yeah I found the starting at the middle and working out makes it alot simpler as you still have line to work with on the ends if you need to adjust.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I think I'm way out there and I'm way over thinking this. But this is what I have calculated so far using a WBBB and a 10' tarp.

Wanting to hang a foot below the single line amsteel on my WBBB and maintain my 30 deg or so and having a 10' tarp (when I want) I calculated that from the 100" WBBB ridgeline i would add 24" each side to accomodate the tarp and attachment methods leaving me with a need to have the alpine loops 144" apart and the alpine, biner and continuous loop add up to 27" (loosely based on Pythagorean Theorem).

Any sense at all?
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    My math says 25.4 inches but thats close enough (I highly recommend making and attaching the continuous loop and then measuring it). The reasoning for that is you lose some of the length going around the whipping and attaching to itself.

With that said 144 inches for the tarp sounds excessive for a 10 ft tarp given that most attachment is under 4-5 inches per end (some is around 1-1.5 inches). I say that as having it that long will make your minimum hang distance around 15 ft and the extra length around the tarp doesn't have any benefit unless you later use a larger tarp.

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    this is my setup, I was aiming for a similar thing (as posted elsewhere). So I can just clip the hammock on the Mailons once the tarp is up - it didn't quite work out like that in the end as the forces on the amsteel is too great to go full tension, so I had to change the system so the tree huggers give off a 30 degree hang.
    With the blue whoopies I can adjust ground clearance, head height and foot height (compensating with the red whoopie)
    With the green whoopies (now set at a 30 degree angle) I can choose where between the trees I want to be situated (avoiding a puddle, clump of thistles etc. Theoretically I don't need to be in the centre with a SRL)
    With the red whoopie I can adjust the hang of the hammock (using the green & blue whoopies to compensate)

The whoopies are linked with Maillons (or I have soft shackles). The webbing is 2inch with a carib on one end and marlin spike on the the other. The whoopies are there as I haven't yet decided on my ideal lay and SRL height - so over the next few trips I can dial it in then lock it in place.

I ditched the soft shackles in favour of Maillons as I like being able to add stuff to em whilst under tension.

Last edited by mountainm; 05-18-2011 at 07:37.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    My math says 25.4 inches but thats close enough (I highly recommend making and attaching the continuous loop and then measuring it). The reasoning for that is you lose some of the length going around the whipping and attaching to itself.

With that said 144 inches for the tarp sounds excessive for a 10 ft tarp given that most attachment is under 4-5 inches per end (some is around 1-1.5 inches). I say that as having it that long will make your minimum hang distance around 15 ft and the extra length around the tarp doesn't have any benefit unless you later use a larger tarp.
    My math is always funky - thought it was 12 squared + 24 squared and then the square root of that answer (26.8ish).
    In regards to the 144 inches tbctx, you are absolutely right about it being a lot of space for a 10' tarp. I had figured that if I could, I would keep the option open to accomodate my 11' ridgeline tarp and my 12' tarp as well. Not sure if this is the best idea but I figured it couldn't hurt to see if it was possible.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Just when I thought I had my setup just like I like it, I see this, and get inspired.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    MountainM your ideal length for your blue length will be close to the distance needed to make it a 30 degree angle. What your doing is bacicly taking your single SRL and moving it up due to the type of hammock you have, I used it to add a second SRL for the tarp in addition to the lower one on my hammock but it should still work for that. I also recommend having your red length at a set distance long enough for your tarp and attachment to fit in (you can make your attachment to the mailons as you called them (not the term I'm used too but it works).

dragon, its definitely doable that way, I've opted to have 3 different setups where the tarps normally stay attached to one (I have changed them out before but between same length tarps), and the lengths are set so that any hammock can go to any tarp (still need to modify one of my setups to finish making everything interchangeable but I've been lazy lately).

eflat, you have been here long enough that you should know that its never fully finalized but constantly changing.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    BearChaser & tbctx. I,ve been playing with different sls since reading headchange4u's post. Even tried one with inner prussiks, attached to truckers hitches held in place by outer prussiks attached to the hammock. It worked ok but still required a separate suspension for the tarp. I like this idea of a single suspension but was wanting to get opinions on replacing the alpine loops of a fixed length with short alpine loops and a whoopie to the hammock similar to mountainm's whoopies from the mailons to the hammock. I larkshead my gathered end hammocks and was thinking a whoopie with a biner or nacrabiner to the alpine loop and a fixed loop on the end to larkshead to the hammock. Thank you for all your information here and your opinions on this modification.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Nice setup, BearChaser!
    I was surprised to see that early in your video (about 1 minute) when you got into the hammock that the ridgeline of the tarp did not sag and lose tension.
    Also, I really like the fact that this system automatically centers the hammock under the tarp. No going back and adjusting the tarp placement after hanging the hammock.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Thanks MAD777, I have found out that having the tie out tensioners helps keep thing nice and taught though, especially with Cuben. I did a little more fiddling around with the Superfly after the video and was able to get it all set up with out tensioners, but I had to get in, get out, tighten everything up, basically keep doing this until everything was stretched out & tight. Found out this was just too much fiddling and diminished the no fiddle factor/ease of setup. I did finally weigh my tensioners, 1oz. ea. So for 4oz. I found the ease & quick setup worth the weight.

The real beauty of this type of suspension is quick setup, and the same sag each time, it never really changes. You can adjust your foot/head end high/low by using the height of the tree straps, but the sag stays the same. Since making this video I have used this literally every night since making it. I sleep in my hammock in the house, so I also use this SLS in the house. When I go out, I unhook it all and off I go. So as far as its strength and durability. I have had no problems. The knots have not slipped, the whoopies still look good.

I'm planning on making another SLS that puts my hammock up a little closer to my Lawson Reflective Cuben tarp for winter camping. I really like having the tarp over the line, and have used it in a few rainstorms with no problems of water running in. But I'm really interested in seeing how the reflective properties of Lawsons tarp radiates heat back in winter.

I may make another video showing me completely setting it up and how quick it is. Maybe record the making of it also.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast