Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty NOAH 12X12
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator

Pads dont work for me

I tried 3 different types of pads in my double layer hammock a CCF wal mart pad , a semi uninflated therm a rest and a large truck windshield sun screen.
    Pads , to me, just dont feel right in my hammock and take away from the comfort that the hammock has to offer.
    I gave it a shot .
    so now I have a UQ on the way
    Thanks for all the great knowledge
    George
    ps (I'm glad I'm done sifting through all the pad knowledge )

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    YETI & JRB quilts
    Suspension
    straps and buckle.
    Yeah they never felt right to me either made it feel like i was in a cardboard box plus they seem to trap the condensation.

Images
    look at all the info you just gathered for future members. proud of you. keep up the good works. you will have stories to tell
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Your back-woods time will be even mo' better now.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

When others adopt an idea that runs contrary to one's own, one shouldn't take it as a personal rejection. Similarly, one shouldn't adopt an idea simply because the majority of others say it's all good. Blankets might work in a hammock but blanket statements seldom make for individual solutions. What is good is the give and take discussing those ideas in forums like this. Still,...

It strikes me that there are pads made for hammocks, e.g., Gosamer Gear, Oware, etc., and they aren't listed above. "Most sleeping pads these days are 20" wide, and that is really too narrow for sleeping in a hammock..." http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock7.html

Just sayin'.

FB
    Last edited by Fiddleback; 05-12-2011 at 10:30. Reason: typo

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge spinn
    Insulation
    Yeti3S JRB HudRiv
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopie
    Images
    Yeah, i bet you could get a pad to work well in a hammock though i only tried it once or twice. Use the double layer hammock w/ a suitable pad as you mentioned...

I went straight for the UQ (underquilt)

I was thinking of using a heavy wool blanket as the density would work under the weight of our bums. Only problem is it's heavy and bulky

Having said that, wool has to be the best material available on or off the trail up here in the northeast.

It's good to try your own ideas no matter the peer pressure - as thinking outside the box always reveals new discoveries...

kirk
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. Marrianne Williamson Let your light shine!

Images
    The pad/hammock experience certainly varies widely amongst individuals. I guess you can't ever know for sure except to try it.

I have only depended on pads for real cold one time. I had a short pad and a full length( neither very thick) stacked inside a Speer SPE, with some cut up WM blue pads in the wings. And inside a Speer hammock. My memory of that is that I was pretty comfortable, but maybe not as comfortable as with just the hammock. But, I was super warm.

I have also slipped a torso length pad inside the pad pocket of a Claytor No Net when I was not quite warm enough with my IX UQ. That worked OK also except it needed to be wider to make it easier to stay on. And I have used that same pad without issues as a leg pad.

And then there is using a pad in the pad pocket of a JRB BMBH. Once again, maybe not as comfortable as an UQ. But I really have no issues with that, it sure does work good for me.

But this all seems to be an individual deal, and results vary widely among those individuals.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by chillyhiker View Post
    Yeah they never felt right to me either made it feel like i was in a cardboard box plus they seem to trap the condensation.
    Use a space blanket as a vapor barrier.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben 4 season
    Insulation
    Te-wa down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    homemade whoopies

don't work for me either

My Hennessy Deep Jungle came with a reflective bubble pad to slip between the layers (one of the reasons I bought it!), and I woke up cold every time I used it. I tried a Thermarest lightweight and standard pad but they wouldn't stay put and killed the comfort of the hammock.

I ended up biting the bullet and purchasing an UQ & TQ from Te-wa, and my hammocking experience became the bliss I was looking for! His UQ kept me warm down to 15 degrees F. this winter, and fits both my HH Deep Jungle and my WBBB.

My wife hammocked with me for the first time this past weekend. The overnight temps were only in the 50s, but she was cold using the bubble mat + heavyweight fleece liner + 15 degree down sleeping bag + thermal long underwear. I set her up with some chemical warmers between her & the bubble mat and a hot-water filled Nalgene before she was warm enough to sleep through the night.

I'm sold on the UQ, but to be honest, I didn't put a lot of effort into pads. They may work well for some people, and may be the only option for those on a tight budget.

Cheers,

Ringtail

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst

Glad I didn't order one!

I've been reading so much that past couple of weeks, my eyes are crossed; however, I am so glad I ran into this post. I was just looking at ebay and saw some really good priced CCF that I added to my watch list. Was going to order tomorrow after some more research....forget it now. I am too sensitive to my sleep situation and was concerned that the pad would not work for me, and this all convinced me not to. I will looking into the methods of a UQ now. I want to make sure I have my facts straight and what all I'm going to be doing before I even start making my hammock. You are all a bunch of great, informative people!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast