kayak camping input needed

I hope that this question isn't breaking the rules. If it is, please let me know.
    I want to do kayak camping. I have a Liquid Logic XP-10. I currently have a 2006ish Rainbow Tarptent (by Henry Shires), but I’m considering getting a Hennessy ULtralite Backpacker A-Sym Classic hammock. What do you think would be better for kayak camping in a variety of areas?
    If I do get that hammock, I'm considering getting Hennessy's 70D Hex Fly for keeping my packed stuff dry, getting dressed and undressed, and for cooking in the rain w/ a small camp stove. I don't know if that would be possible with the Ultralite Backpacker's fly. What do you think?

Darwin
    [email protected]

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Congrats on your first post! If it were me, I would try to use a hammock more. I guess to answer the question would be you having to plot out your trip to make sure you get to a place to hammock. You can always set up a hammock as a bivy using trek poles or sticks and stakes. Also with kayaking, you probably have room for a hammock and a tent if you wanted to carry both.Not much of a weight penalty in my book. Both pieces hammock/tarptent would be a combined weight of about 6 lbs at the most.
    Last edited by richtorfla; 05-03-2011 at 21:40. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    i sometimes bring both due to lack of trees on sand bars, my first yak was a liquid logic stingray but now i have a 17.5 ft widerness systems tsunami, with rudder plenty of storage!!
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    The kayak camping limiting factor is SPACE, not weight.

I'd agree with you that the stock tarp seems pretty limiting, but I am not a Hennesey owner. I think you are going to find that you can save space and increase your comfort over tenting, but it may take you a couple tries to dial in the pieces of kit that do it for you.

Check your under-insulation: are you using a CCF pad today in your tarptent? Going to a down underquilt (especially summer-weight) will save you space in those hatches. Make dang sure your drybags don't leak though.

Even a nice full-size tarp compacts smaller than most tents: it doesn't have poles, a floor, or walls. Don't forget stakes though.

I think you're going to find that kayak-camping with a hammock will be very successful: you will probably be able to hang nearer or at the water's edge where it's difficult to site a tent. Oooh lala!!! I love doing that when canoe camping....

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    First off...GREAT BOAT....I bought one last year and did about 5 or 6 multi day trips out of it... l like the hammock as it opens up alot more site selections, no need to find that perfect spot for the tent...i couldn't recommend anything but a hammock for kayak camping...as long as you know there will be trees go for it...the remix ten has a huge amount of storage, rear, front, behind the seat...i just can't seem to fill it all, must make more gear....LOL...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Single nest
    Tarp
    frankentarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopies
    For those of you into kayaking/canoeing check out www.floatzilla.org amazing event on the Mississippi! I did it last year with my brother inlaw and a few good friends. Look for the vikings

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    You cannot beat a hammock for kayak camping! Not only the space savings but the comfort of a hammock makes it worthwhile. If you're worried about winding up in a place with no trees, consider a bivy sack, some of my kayaking group carry them 'just in case'. I haven't got one yet myself, (still getting hammock gear ) but plan to as soon as the budget agrees with me. Happy paddling!
    Debi

Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Congrats on your first post! If it were me, I would try to use a hammock more. I guess to answer the question would be you having to plot out your trip to make sure you get to a place to hammock. You can always set up a hammock as a bivy using trek poles or sticks and stakes. Also with kayaking, you probably have room for a hammock and a tent if you wanted to carry both.Not much of a weight penalty in my book. Both pieces hammock/tarptent would be a combined weight of about 6 lbs at the most.
    Thank you for the invitation to your group. I really appreciate all of your input. That's very helpful. If you have any additional input, please feel free to pass it on
    Take care.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Easy answer. Get the hammock! You'll sleep better in a $35 rope hammock from Kmart than in a $350 tent on the ground. Here in Florida we have no shortage of trees, especially along the river banks. But the good spots to pitch a tent may not be as easy to find.
    My wife and I have been on a few kayak camping trips and I would summarize a few key points for your consideration.
    1. Don't worry about weight. The boat will carry it.
    2. On the other hand, don't get carried away. You still have to purchase, handle, clean and store all that gear.
    3. V important - do a practice load-up of your boat in your garage, back yard, living room, somewhere. You'll figure out the best way to balance your weight front to back and you'll find out in advance just how much you can carry. Far better to do that in the living room than on the river bank.
    4. As with any boating trip, leave float plan.
    5. Take pictures and have fun.
    Cruising silently down the river to secluded camping spots where NOBODY else could possibly go is just way cool.
    Enjoy!
    And welcome!!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

• + New Posts