Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    There is the Diggers Hotline that you should call before you dig. Do we have a Hangers Hotline before we hang inside?
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    You should have thought about where you were going to drill, and you also should ask the landlord's permission before drilling into 2x4 studs ANYWHERE in your rented apartment. I hope, for the sake of forcing you to learn an object lesson you get billed for all the repairs.
    But then they will say no. It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    But then they will say no. It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission
    Yes, but it is not your property, and you WILL get biilled for the damages afterwards. If you do not pay the damages, it could wind up on your credit report, then you are pooched. not to mention, it is wrong and dishonest to do it. It would be like me borrowing my buddy's car for a 2week, and getting it painted red because I don't like blue cars.

You are right Oxblood. I'm going to make sure that I go down now and help old lady's cross the street. I cannot forget giving to OXFAM this fine morning.
    Dude- running a 2'' water main in the middle of the wall. Even the maint. guy said it may have happened to him.
    What is life like if people don't do crazy things that elicit crazy responses? Now, it would be a boring dry world.... now wouldn't it?
    Oh well... I feel a sudden urge to go to a water park.
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And sits in peace with or without our presence.
    my quote.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    better hope the landlord don't send you a bill for it... or you will be selling off all your hammocks to pay for it
    you can forget about your security deposit LOL
    i know if it was my building... you would be getting a bill
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    Yes, but it is not your property, and you WILL get biilled for the damages afterwards. If you do not pay the damages, it could wind up on your credit report, then you are pooched. not to mention, it is wrong and dishonest to do it. It would be like me borrowing my buddy's car for a 2week, and getting it painted red because I don't like blue cars.
    I never said don't pay for the damages ... you can borrow my car and paint it whatever color you want as long as you paint it back.
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by earplug94 View Post

True story and I'm ashamed to say so...

Earplug
    While we are reading him the riot act, let's don't forget he did close his OP with the above. Though he has described it all with a humorous(sp?) style, I bet he is like I would be and feeling pretty low about not having been more careful. And I'm pretty sure he is already well aware that he may be getting a bill for damages to his or others apartments, or minimal loosing a security deposit.

But again, and warning, I hope you don't pull any studs out of the wall trying to hang from them! Be careful!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    this comes down to think befor you hang.... if your not sure whats in your walls don't drill a hole in it to fine out

best thing to do is ask the landlord if it's safe to do so... or even use a stud finder so you know if there is anything behind the drywall befor you start

this is a lesson everyone can learn from ....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Images
    A 2" water line installed through-stud should have been protected by steel plates on the narrow faces of the stud. Electrical wires running through the studs are supposed to be protected by similar strike plates. I should check the IRC, IEC & IMC to see if this is a code requirement or just best practice, but around here strike plates are the normal installation routine.
    Last edited by OneEye; 05-04-2011 at 14:47. Reason: $#%@ typos...

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I'm sure no one here as ever gotten an idea and acted on it without putting in much thought, only to regret it later.

Give the guy a break. It's just a funny story.

I'm sure he knew what he should've done, he just didn't, and the consequences were funny, thus posting them for HF to laugh at.

I thought it was pretty funny. My buddy setup his hammock this weekend on a huge horizontal tree and was so excited to lay in it he sat over the ENO DN and went right on his back. He knew what he should have done, he just didn't, and we all laughed!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast