Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    As I'd mentioned earlier in the thread, I use my military ICW sleeping bag in my hammock.

I have been sleeping inside the bag, and it works fine for me as long as I've got a pad under it or the hammock.

The comment about gear being made for munchkins is one of those things that I've been concerned about. I want to go to a lighter bag, and prefer mummy bags...but don't know if I'd fit decent in the ones I've looked at.

I'm not huge...5'6" and about 200lbs. But I'm used to have plenty of room inside the bag, and don't want to lose insulation because the bag is compressed over my shoulders/etc...

I'm going to do a test run with my adult son's 0* mummy bag sometime soon, just to see how it works out and make sure it doesn't compress too much around me.

Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River UQ
    Suspension
    Woopies/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    As I'd mentioned earlier in the thread, I use my military ICW sleeping bag in my hammock.

I have been sleeping inside the bag, and it works fine for me as long as I've got a pad under it or the hammock.

The comment about gear being made for munchkins is one of those things that I've been concerned about. I want to go to a lighter bag, and prefer mummy bags...but don't know if I'd fit decent in the ones I've looked at.

I'm not huge...5'6" and about 200lbs. But I'm used to have plenty of room inside the bag, and don't want to lose insulation because the bag is compressed over my shoulders/etc...

I'm going to do a test run with my adult son's 0* mummy bag sometime soon, just to see how it works out and make sure it doesn't compress too much around me.
    I get confused about this as well. I am 6'0" 200lbs and most of the bag/quilt sizing charts say I need a large/long. Most of the Male people I know are between 5'10" and 6'1" so why do I need a large size bag if I am average size?

I am asking this seriously because I have come up with 2 possibilities.
    1) There are alot of seriously overweight people so they are factoring the extra girth they may need. I dont mean this in a mean way I am about 30lbs overweight myself. If this is the case regular would be fine.
    2)Bags are unisex so factoring in men's and women's sizes the midpoint becomes more like 5'9" so I really do need a large.
    Last edited by TheTaxman; 05-08-2011 at 18:30.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTaxman View Post
    I get confused about this as well. I am 6'0" 200lbs and most of the bag/quilt sizing charts say I need a large/long. Most of the Male people I know are between 5'10" and 6'1" so why do I need a large size bag if I am average size?

I am asking this seriously because I have come up with 2 possibilities.
    1) There are alot of seriously overweight people so they are factoring the extra girth they may need. I dont mean this in a mean way I am about 30lbs overweight myself. If this is the case regular would be fine.
    2)Bags are unisex so factoring in men's and women's sizes the midpoint becomes more like 5'9" so I really do need a large.
    Because they can charge more for the extra couple of inches. I am 6'2 and need the long. That is part of the reason I don't have a TQ yet. The one I want is $30 more because I need that extra length.

I have tried the mummy as a peapod. I couldn't get comfortable, the bag just wasn't big enough and made it to snug, if you know what I mean.

The last couple of trips I have used a mummy bag as a TQ with no problems. As stated previously, I can turn on my side and use the hood over my head for a little extra warmth. I have 2 at different temp ratings that I tried. The first time it was colder and went with the lower temp bag. The next was warmer and went with the warmer bag. But both times I stayed warm.

It is much easier getting out of the mummy as a TQ then as a peapod. The real peapod is larger then a mummy bag and easier to use, so I have heard.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    It is much easier getting out of the mummy as a TQ then as a peapod. The real peapod is larger then a mummy bag and easier to use, so I have heard.
    You have heard right! My PeaPod is 9 feet long by 6 ft wide (in the middle, much more narrow on the ends). And with the Velcro I can go from fully closed to out of the hammock in seconds.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I seem equally warm in either but I am a very still sleeper. Good tucking is the key....and a hood or hat.
    Shug
    i'll 2nd that
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG INC\TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I use a sleeping bag as quilt and am fine about it the main difference is the cost to weight ratio. Top quilts seem expensive but try finding a 15 deg 1 4 oz sleeping bag for 200 sollar range

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG INC\TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I use a sleeping bag as quilt and am fine about it the main difference is the cost to weight ratio. Top quilts seem expensive but try finding a 15 deg 1lb 4 oz sleeping bag in the 200 dollar range

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I'm kicking around the TQ idea again too. My Montbell bag has always kept me warm, but I worry about the zippers wearing on my hammock fabric.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've mainly used bags in my hammocks and have never seen any signs of the zipper wearing on the hammock body. I'm sure it's possible, but unlikely, to damage the hammock with the zipper. I'm thinking the zipper handle (whatever it's called) is what has the most potential of damaging the hammock but if your zipped up in your bag then it's up by your neck which should keep it out of contact with the hammock.
    "The only rule to survivialin is NEVER GIVE UP"
    Swinginranger

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    crappy random one
    Insulation
    blue foam
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    There ya go, make your own PeaPod using what you already have!
    This is something i've been interested in for a while. wrapping the bag all the way around the hammock and myself. i just can't envision how it could be done...without a large round gap at the foot end. Unless the zipper was modified in some way. i'm terrible at that kind of stuff. but has it been done much with any success?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast