Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie

Fit 2 hammocks under the The Edge tarp?

Has anyone tried fitting 2 hammocks under the The Edge Tarp, or should I have gone with a Big Mamajamba for that?

I'm trying to get my girlfriend to go hammock camping with me, without her needing to make a big money investment until she knows she likes it. I was thinking, if I can string the 2 hammocks each 1 foot away from the tarp ridgeline, I could pivot the tarp over each of the hammocks' structural ridgelines, so that it's about a 45 degree angle from the tarp ridgeline down to each hammock SRL and then have the normal much steeper angle going the rest of the way toward the ground.

Do you think we would both stay dry in a rainstorm?

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    I just got my Edge tarp today, and haven't had a chance to take it outside, but it seems great for one hammock. Two, however, I think will be pushing it if it's a solid rainstorm plus any wind. There is always the Walmart cheapo tarp! Not the prettiest, but it keeps ya dry without breaking the bank!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Even cheaper and lighter than a wally world tarp is a painters drop cloth. They run about $5, just put a piece of duct tape on either side and melt a little hole wherever you need a tieout. I've used as light as 2 mm plastic which doesn't last long, 4mm with care can last a season just be sure to carry duct tape for field repairs. Also make sure you get plenty of airflow and that the hammock isn't touching the plastic, you will have condensation.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Curious Xeren, what are the two hammocks? I wouldn't be able to test it for about a week and a half, but I've got a WBBB and a Byer Moskito traveler. Once I'm done with finals and have time, I can do my best to find a setup that would allow me to attempt to get two hammocks under The Edge tarp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by stefprez View Post
    Curious Xeren, what are the two hammocks? I wouldn't be able to test it for about a week and a half, but I've got a WBBB and a Byer Moskito traveler. Once I'm done with finals and have time, I can do my best to find a setup that would allow me to attempt to get two hammocks under The Edge tarp.
    Nothing fancy, a GT Nano and a GT Ultralight, 9x4ft and 9.5x4.5ft, respectively.

Yeah, let me know if you find anything!

It just occurred to me, though, that there's probably no way we're going to fit 2 hammocks inside my WB mosquito net and she'll need her own UQ as well (I don't even have one yet), it's going to cost some money to get her fully set up no matter what.

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    If it was possible, 2 nanos maybe if they are hung from the same 2 trees would be the best bet. Still would probably only be good in a light rain with no wind. Also, could try to hang one over the other and pitch the tarp at wide angle, but again only in a very light rain IMO.
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Yeah, I think it would be tight, probably too tight. I'd say for the cheapo set up, Walmart CCF pad for bottom insulation, some sort of cheap tarp, and either a DIY bug net, or just hunker down and buy a second. I agree that it'd stink to drop all this money and not like it, but then again, how could you not!?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xeren View Post
    Has anyone tried fitting 2 hammocks under the The Edge Tarp, or should I have gone with a Big Mamajamba for that?

I'm trying to get my girlfriend to go hammock camping with me, without her needing to make a big money investment until she knows she likes it. I was thinking, if I can string the 2 hammocks each 1 foot away from the tarp ridgeline, I could pivot the tarp over each of the hammocks' structural ridgelines, so that it's about a 45 degree angle from the tarp ridgeline down to each hammock SRL and then have the normal much steeper angle going the rest of the way toward the ground.

Do you think we would both stay dry in a rainstorm?
    To answer your question, get a Big Mamajamba (BMJ). If you're trying to get your girlfriend interested in camping, you better make darn sure she is comfortable and feels secure. Barely fitting under a tarp...in a rainstorm no less...is a surefire way to get her to stay at home in the future. Not to mention the fact that I'm not entirely sure you could keep two hammocks covered completely with an Edge. If you could, it would be terribly close quarters. Every time one of you shifted a little, you'd be bumping the other person.

As has been stated, go get a couple of cheapo tarps if you just want to experiment with your girl's tolerance for 'roughing it'. Or, and this would be my choice, get an Edge and a cheap blue tarp from Walmart. Let her sleep under the Edge and you sleep under the plastic junk. You will both stay dry, you will know if she is into the hammock camping scene, and you still have an Edge tarp in your arsenal.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    If you're trying to get your girlfriend interested in camping, you better make darn sure she is comfortable and feels secure. Barely fitting under a tarp...in a rainstorm no less...is a surefire way to get her to stay at home in the future.

Or, and this would be my choice, get an Edge and a cheap blue tarp from Walmart. Let her sleep under the Edge and you sleep under the plastic junk. You will both stay dry, you will know if she is into the hammock camping scene, and you still have an Edge tarp in your arsenal.
    Couldn't be put any better. Two thumbs up.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Everybody pretty much covered the salient points. Just thought I'd add that my only hammock tarp is the Warbonnet Edge and you *definitely* can not fit two hammocks under there with any kind of coverage. I've used it with my GT hammocks and it can be tight quarters even with one

Also I'll second what Cannibal said about making sure she feels comfortable and secure. My experience is that with most women the bigger the tarp/tent the better. There's the security and shelter from weather aspect but I think for a lot of women the privacy factor is even more important.

Maybe you can borrow a hammock setup from someone for her to try things out?

-Jay

• + New Posts