Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Hey BillyBob58, glad that hammock finally made its way to you. Perhaps you know the story that I made one for AngrySparrow a while back, over a year ago I think, and he has graciously arranged to give you (and some others) a chance for a look-see.

That said, there have been a bunch of GBs made since then and I don't know what dimensions you have. At one time I was using 24" foot ends, but since have increased that trying to give more room in the middle, while still enjoying some of the benefits of the narrower foot.

The length of the ridgeline if you had one would depend on the length of the sides of the suspension triangle, and the length of the hammock. Unlike the Jacks who have a design that is replicated time after time, each of mine is a one-off. The lengths change, I might make the suspension triangles a little longer or a little shorter depending on the weight of the occupant...

You're not going to get a reverse banana in a GB, at least not easily. For that you really need a deeper suspension cut than I've been using. Taking it into the field, increase the tension on the suspension until you see the middle of the body come up a little higher than the ends. Probably you can't get to that point on your stand. That means that when you enter the hammock you'll have more lift in the middle, and that's where the flatness comes from.

Glad you like the hammock!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Hey BillyBob58, glad that hammock finally made its way to you. Perhaps you know the story that I made one for AngrySparrow a while back, over a year ago I think, and he has graciously arranged to give you (and some others) a chance for a look-see.

That said, there have been a bunch of GBs made since then and I don't know what dimensions you have. At one time I was using 24" foot ends, but since have increased that trying to give more room in the middle, while still enjoying some of the benefits of the narrower foot.
    Thanks for the comments, GA! This one has ~22" foot end spreader bars (not counting the "nipple") and 36" bars at the shoulders.

The length of the ridgeline if you had one would depend on the length of the sides of the suspension triangle, and the length of the hammock. Unlike the Jacks who have a design that is replicated time after time, each of mine is a one-off. The lengths change, I might make the suspension triangles a little longer or a little shorter depending on the weight of the occupant...

You're not going to get a reverse banana in a GB, at least not easily. For that you really need a deeper suspension cut than I've been using.
    Well, it seemed to give me one easily enough. I mean it didn't look the same as the Jacks, but without me having to pull it real tight, it seemed to have a shape that that was curved with the lowest point in the middle being higher than the lowest point on the ends. Of course that is unloaded, and when I get in the stand flexs a good bit and who knows where we are at then!

Taking it into the field, increase the tension on the suspension until you see the middle of the body come up a little higher than the ends.
    Actually, that right there is what I am calling "reverse banana". And that is what I have been using as my guide, so thanks for confirming that for me.

Probably you can't get to that point on your stand. That means that when you enter the hammock you'll have more lift in the middle, and that's where the flatness comes from.
    Actually, I can get that easily enough on my stand. Of course, again, then it flexes and I am at some other, looser, tension.

Glad you like the hammock!
    Thanks to you and AS for letting me play with it. It is a sweet piece of almost nothing(gram wise)! Now, off to the trees for a couple of hours before church tonight, then hopefully some more tree time tomorrow!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Thanks for the comments, GA! This one has ~22" foot end spreader bars (not counting the "nipple") and 36" bars at the shoulders.
    yep, that's pretty narrow down there. Lots more turning room with a wider but still narrower foot end.

Well, it seemed to give me one easily enough. I mean it didn't look the same as the Jacks, but without me having to pull it real tight, it seemed to have a shape that that was curved with the lowest point in the middle being higher than the lowest point on the ends. Of course that is unloaded, and when I get in the stand flexs a good bit and who knows where we are at then!
    The only reverse banana to be concerned about is one that is lifting your butt higher than comfort allows. It is something you feel....not something you see.
    Now, off to the trees for a couple of hours before church tonight, then hopefully some more tree time tomorrow!
    Bringing it along to listen to the sermon in comfort might be a risky proposition..
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well maybe I can get up there, I'd love to check it out, also love to see every one, but not looking promising at the moment. Have you both used it? How does it feel in the shoulders for y'all?
    I haven't got to try it out yet. I know Hamhocker really likes it. I asked her how it feels in the shoulders and she said it felt great.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    All I have to say is . . . Grizz allowed me to use a loaner and I was napping in it withing minutes. I have found the same to be true with the one he made for me. I have used it in the yard for naps and I fall into sleep in no time. I am a side sleeper but only bend my knees slightly. I was not as comfortable in my conventional DIY gathered end hammock. I hope to go on an overnight this weekend, weather permitting. If that happens I will report how well, or not so well, I sleep in my GB.

Images
    Liked it even better in the woods! I hiked in off trail to a big hill and found a couple of likely trees, on the small side ( the way I like them). Set up was quick and easy with the whoopies. I laid down and got comfy, and looked over about 10 feet away and NOW I notice a huge widow maker, dead as a door nail. I tried to ignore it as there was no wind and I was not going to sleep. I figured I would hear warning sounds and be able to make a quick run for it. But after a few minutes I got up and moved about a hundred feet to other trees out of reach. Quickly got set up again. Got my book and laid down for a long break. Nice!

What can I say, this is a great design! Tied to the trees, the side position seemed a little closer to the JRB, not that there was a lot of difference anyway. Which is to say, really good on the side, I was able to get a little bit of fetal, closer to the moderate fetal of the JRB, by shifting down closer to the foot end. Though I would worry a bit about my feet hitting the end caps with too much force as I sleep, possibly damaging the hammock.

I was able to get a full fetal by having my knees out of the hammock supported by the edge, and being in a semi-side position. It really wasn't uncomfortable for the short time I tried it, but I might need a pad for cushioning for a longer test, and I'm not sure I could keep adequately covered by a quilt. I would probably prefer one of the models that is some what wider in the middle and on the foot end. Just to have a bit more room below the waist, especially for side sleeping.

I still felt the deeper JRB made a better chair because it gave more back support when I leaned back. But the GB is still not bad as a chair.

I need to check again to be sure, but I think the JRB also makes a better recliner for reading. When I get way up in the hammock and lean against the end caps, I am in more of a "recliner" position.

Back comfort was total. Plenty of shoulder room and zero calf pressure and zero knee hyper-extension. Hard to beat. Again, if I had a choice, I would opt for the increased shoulder room and just find a way to deal with my tarp vs the wider spreader bars.

There is just no stretch with this hammock. What is the material, I wonder? Absolutely no trouble staying as high above the ground as I desired, even with a pretty far distance between the trees. I'm sure the Amsteel suspension helps also.

Very light and very, very comfortable in most positions. This is definitely a hard one to beat especially if weight and volume are a big concern. Plus if you have trouble with leg comfort using other hammock designs.

I forgot the camera! Maybe tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Old River Rat View Post
    All I have to say is . . . Grizz allowed me to use a loaner and I was napping in it withing minutes. I have found the same to be true with the one he made for me. I have used it in the yard for naps and I fall into sleep in no time. I am a side sleeper but only bend my knees slightly. I was not as comfortable in my conventional DIY gathered end hammock. I hope to go on an overnight this weekend, weather permitting. If that happens I will report how well, or not so well, I sleep in my GB.
    Looking forward to that report!

Images
    Update:

Finally got out into the woods with a camera and with the GrizzBridge. I also took my old faithful Claytor No Net, which still impresses me as a very fine hammock. It is not all that heavy ( ~ 22 oz?) for a dbl layer, and works best of any with my PeaPod, so it remains one of my Go To hammocks for back packing in cold weather.

What really pis*es me off is I forgot my MMP IX designed for the HH Explorer. I recently discovered it works better with this Grizzbridge than even with my HH! It is perfect on this GB. Completely stays in place and there is no having it come off of a shoulder or foot and is snug head to toe. Who would have thunk it? I wanted to get some pics. Maybe I'll get some later on the back porch.
    So anyway, here are a few pics of a Grizz in the woods:

A breeze was blowing the endcaps inward:

GrizzBridge zero calf pressure/knee hyper-extension, every time on 1st try! As with a JRB. Excellent shoulder comfort also. An extremely comfortable hammock for back sleeping and side position also. But not so much for fetal.

I have to rate this hammock as most comfortable- the champion- for comfort sleeping on the back. The only reason I rate it a bit above the JRB is because of the increased shoulder room, which I like. But this is a trade off for spreader bar/tarp conflict. On the other hand, I have to rate the JRB as just a tad more comfy for side sleeping, plus it allows a bit more fetal. Also, I like the the JRB better for reading like in my recliner at home. I seem to be able to get in a better semi-reclining position, as well as a few other unique sitting positions.

But, this hammock weighs so little! It is a great design, I wish somebody would manufacture and sell it!

Still, my lowly Claytor is also a very comfy hammock for a number of positions. I'm going to post about it in another thread.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    nice report. id love to try a bridge someday. but If I go to one it will probly have to be the jrb . its too easy to get ahold of
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    nice report. id love to try a bridge someday. but If I go to one it will probly have to be the jrb . its too easy to get ahold of
    That's for sure! But even those are at of stock at the moment.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12