Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Polyester Fabric Woes

"Grasshoppa, your Google-fu, no good!"

I'm feeling a bit frustrated by the lack of selection of POLYESTER fabrics and if anyone has suggestion of a known source, I will gladly bow down to your awesome amazingness.

Where......does one find lightweight polyester fabric (in the range of 1-2oz/sq yd) these days?

So far, Ive been to Rockywoods, OWFinc, Seattlefabrics, The Rain Shed, Quest, Thru-Hiker, BWDD, Kite Studio, and several other kite related sites. I've been to a whole host of sailing sites looking at sail cloth. I've even been browsing experimental aircraft supplies!

I've searched "polyester fabric", "polyester taffeta", "polyester ripstop", "polyester microfiber", "polyester spinnaker", and a bunch of other "polyester- ___" combinations. I've gone for Dacron, Icarex, and several other brand names of polyester fabric.

I've only found three fabrics in the right weight range: one is Polymax-42Z from Kite Studio. Its a light weight coated spinntex-like fabric that is ~1.2oz/sq yd--only available in blue. The other is Poly Fiber "light" an uncoated 1.7oz/sq yd fabric for making ultralight experimental aircraft--only in white. And finally there is PacificTech polyester tafetta at ~1.6oz/sq yd--only available in white--sold through RCT fabrics (but for a good price at $3.50/yd)

I have some of the Polymax-42Z (only $3/yd!) on order as this is what I came on first, but the breathability may be a issue.

Why polyester when there is so many varieties and colors of nylon to chose from? I guess there is not a great reason other than I was looking for a fabric without as much stretch. And of course, I could just do a double layer of nylon...<sigh>

Going to go rest my google-fu. It's tired.
    Last edited by BER; 05-06-2011 at 19:05.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I happened to find some nice woodsy colored polyester at walmart for $2/yd. I've been hanging in that for over a year (i am in fact laying in an hh clone made from it). I'm not sure of the exact weight but for me it is light enough, holds up well and feels great on the skin. Might be worth checking your local stores.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Check polyester taffeta. There should be a plethora of sources.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Check polyester taffeta. There should be a plethora of sources.
    Rev,
    Checked polyester taffeta. Problem is finding fabric in the 1-2oz/sq yd weight, or at least, finding sites that give a weight. The few places I have emailed regarding weight have not responded. Only the PacificTech site gives a weight and the only color is white...but I may try this after I have used the Polymax.

Thanks for the replies.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallorne View Post
    I happened to find some nice woodsy colored polyester at walmart for $2/yd.
    Walmart is the only place I've ever stumbled across polyester fabric; always ripstop. I have no idea what the weights were, but for whatever reason, they seem to get a lot of it.
    Trust nobody!

Perhaps I should have specified:

If anyone has a known online source for polyester fabric (in stock!) with a known weight between 1-2oz/sq yd, in colors beyond white, it would be most helpful. (though thinking about it more, white might be kinda interesting...)

Before it is suggested, I did check the archives here at HF and followed the leads given. All were either dead links or sites that no longer have polyester fabric meeting the above specification in stock (previously folks got some at Rockywoods--their only polyester now runs around 4oz/sq yd).

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am also conducting this same search with similar results. Does anyone have a good supplier?

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Here's 2.2 oz/sq.yd. :http://www.therainshed.com/unctd%20taffeta.htm

and here's 2.0 oz/sq yd: http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/app...ng.htm?N=11730

You might be over-thinking it. I want to buy on-line, too, but I'm finding that it takes a real leap of faith to buy anything but ripstop nylon. You're right: weights are rarely given and even when they are--like at the sites above--you gotta wonder if you're buying the right non-stretch fabric.

If you can, check the local general purpose fabric stores and fabric departments of the big box stores. Read labels for 100% polyester, hope that you find some information on denier or weight and judge strength and resistance to stretch for yourself. Good luck!!!! (PLEASE, keep me posted!)
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the links. At least these are some options.

Has anyone actually tried any of these?

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Here's 2.2 oz/sq.yd. :http://www.therainshed.com/unctd%20taffeta.htm

and here's 2.0 oz/sq yd: http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/app...ng.htm?N=11730

You might be over-thinking it. I want to buy on-line, too, but I'm finding that it takes a real leap of faith to buy anything but ripstop nylon. You're right: weights are rarely given and even when they are--like at the sites above--you gotta wonder if you're buying the right non-stretch fabric.

If you can, check the local general purpose fabric stores and fabric departments of the big box stores. Read labels for 100% polyester, hope that you find some information on denier or weight and judge strength and resistance to stretch for yourself. Good luck!!!! (PLEASE, keep me posted!)
    Unfortunately, the first link is a NYLON taffeta (EDIT: oops, I see the polyester further down the page--heavier though than I wanted) and the second is a RAYON taffeta. I do appreciate the help though.

I ended up getting polymax-42z and some white PacificTech polyester taffeta. Just have to find some time to get started on projects.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast