I need to watch this thread and others like it. Good info! Thanks!
I haven't seen the Sawyer's aerosol. Just the soak and the pump spray. I hope to hit Gander later today so I'll see if I strike gold. I have a couple of cans left.
This week I purchased 40% permethrin at Tractor Supply.
The idea being that there's less solvent to deal with once diluted down to safe levels, which should mean less solvent odor on my clothing and gear.
Plan to use the dunk method.
Apparently Gander has stopped selling Sawyer.
They did have an aerosol from Coleman but it said it's only good for 2 wks instead of 6.
I wish it wasn't 45 min to the nearest Tractor Supply.
For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
I haven't been to ****'s. It's in one of those outdoor malls that the yuppies (is that word still "current"?) flock to in droves. It's got one of the worst road layouts I've ever seen so I try to avoid the place. I think I'll call first. Thanks for the reminder.
just watch overdoing it on soaking certain things that probably don't need it. shirts, pants, etc... this stuff is pretty toxic to frogs and fish. if you're cleaning your shirt in a creek or wading at all.
Effects on Aquatic Organisms
Permethrin is toxic to fish and should be kept out of all bodies of water (1). It was highly toxic to fish in laboratory tests, but showed low toxicity in field tests (23). Aquatic ecosystems are particularly vulnerable to the impact of permethrin. A fragile balance exists between the quality and quantity of insects and other invertebrates that serve as fish food (2).
The LC50 for rainbow trout is 12.5 micrograms per liter (ug/l) for 24 hours, and 5.4 ug/l for 48 hours (7). The LC50 for 48 hours in bluegill sunfish and salmon is 1.8 ug/l (2). As a group, synthetic pyrethroids were toxic to all estuarine species tested. They had a 96-hour LC50 of less than or equal to 7.8 ug/l (15).
Effects on Other Animals (Nontarget species)
Permethrin is extremely toxic to bees. Severe losses may be expected if bees are present at treatment time, or within a day thereafter (7, 12). Permethrin is also toxic to wildlife (9). It should not be applied, or allowed to drift, to crops or weeds in which active foraging takes place (4).
I thought the whole idea of it's safety was that once dry, it is not water soluble. Therefore it is washable and does not re-hyrate with sweat or getting wet.
On a hike through Ocala Natl Forest in '08 my friend's ankles were beet red from chigger bites when we finished. I'd treated my boots, socks, and pants and didn't have a single bite.
Of course I never wash my clothes either, so the froggies are safe.