Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies

New Tarp, BMJ in Camo, Lots of Pics

*Pics inserted below*

I finally had my tarp arrive yesterday. It was the last item in a group of new purchases. I had already bought a 1.7 DL WBBB just to see if I would like hammocking (spoiler alert...I do ). I quickly followed that up with a winter Incubator after my first 28*F night in a sleeping bag with no bottom insulation (I was a dumb noob who learned the hard way)! Anyway, having decided to dive on in, I recently purchased these last few items:

1. Continuous single ridge line from whoopieslings.com.
    After much research, I decided I wanted a continuous ridge line to be able to hang things to dry or to more easily center tarp. I must say this ridge line is quite idiot-proof and very nice. All I needed was one rigging to know that this was a keeper. I opted for the soft shackle prussic option and it seems to work great, though I'm not sure how fun it would be to fuss with them in the extreme cold. Of coarse, the option still remains to use the s-biners and leave the soft-shackles closed in the winter. We will see.

2. Reflective zipper pulls from AHE.
    On really cold night, after finely tuning and adjusting an underquilt, finding the sweet spot in the BB, and getting snuggled up in my bag used as a tq, it is really frustrating searching for the darn zipper pull and having to sit up to reach it. Now, I should be able to snag it with my toes and avoid having to get up. I'm lazy if nothing else.

3. The BMJ tarp with pull outs in camo. After lugging around a cheap Walmart tarp, I was amazed at how light this tarp was. I was briefly furious with Brandon for shipping me an empty box until I opened it to discover the tarp inside ! There is plenty of coverage over the BB. Now I'm eagerly awaiting the next thunderstorm so I can test it properly!

4. I bought some 1.75mm Zing-it and shock cord from AHE and a few glow-in-the-dark line locs from the hammockforums store in order to pirate Shane's idea for guy lines (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...nsioning+lines). They work beautifully. Simple, fast, adjustable, tensioning, and take the stress point off the tarp.

5. Finally, I picked up some supplies from my local Joann's and attempted to make a set of TTs. They came out ok, but my stitching was atrocious. Functional but not pretty...not bad for the first time I had ever picked up a needle. I'm not happy with using a line lock to attache the shock cord to the TT. How do my fellow hangers attach the shock cord?

Last edited by Str1der; 05-07-2011 at 17:09.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Well, it seems that none of my pics attached properly. Not sure what I did wrong, but they are posted in my profile. Can anyone tell my how to post pics into a thread? I used the "insert image" option and then pasted the url, but it didn't seem to work.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Figured it out. Here they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly & Monsoon
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock webbing
    Love the camo!

Sweet. I ordered the camo then decided against it. I think I will contact Brandon and keep the camo option.

Wakozacho:

1) How are you attaching the tarp to the prusiks? Did you choose the biner option?

2) Why did you opt for the $6 soft prusik option rather than the S-biner option for use in attaching the tarp to the prusiks?

3) I can't tell from the pictures but did you choose the yellow or gray color and are you happy with it?
    Last edited by wiiawiwb; 05-08-2011 at 21:39.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images

Thumbs up

I like the glow in the dark zipper pulls , I saw them on ebay last week but didnt commit.
    Chris Duke aka SWAMP FOOT

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
    Sweet. I ordered the camo then decided against it. I think I will contact Brandon and keep the camo option.

Wakozacho:

1) How are you attaching the tarp to the prusiks? Did you choose the biner option?

2) Why did you opt for the $6 soft prusik option rather than the S-biner option for use in attaching the tarp to the prusiks?

3) I can't tell from the pictures but did you choose the yellow or gray color and are you happy with it?
    In my local woods, black and brown are the two most stealthy tarp colors. Since the camo is basically just black AND brown, it works perfectly and helps to break up the solid color which is a dead give away.

I think #2 kinda answers #1, but I'll explain it a bit more. I chose the soft shackle prussic option (no s-biner required) because it's lighter and it's different. I mostly just wanted to try them out. There's no real reason not to get this option though, since you can always leave the loop closed, add a couple of s-biners, and use them as regular prussic loops. The soft shackles give you the option to ditch the s-biners. There's a good video illustrating the soft shackles here http://www.whoopieslings.com/Tarp_Lines.html.

I chose the gray ridgeline so as not to confuse it with the yellow zing-it that I used for the guy lines. It's also a little more stealth I guess since the guy lines are near the ground but the ridgeline is high enough to be seen from a distance. I'm very happy with it so far, but I really need to get out of my backyard and weather a storm in the woods to give it the final "ok."

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampFoot View Post
    I like the glow in the dark zipper pulls , I saw them on ebay last week but didnt commit.
    ====> I just bought a bunch of LED zipper attachments! They turn on and off, and emit a small red light. I will be trying them at the Mass Hangin' this coming weekend. I also plan to use them on the guy lines at the stakes, so I won't be tripping over them in the dark.

I will get some pics of the before that, hopefully, and post them here. They were in the Bike section at LL Bean.
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

I can see why you made your earlier comment about winter and having to fumble around with the soft prusik. I have trouble seeing things that close without glasses. Bring glasses or get biners, glasses or biners.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
    I can see why you made your earlier comment about winter and having to fumble around with the soft prusik. I have trouble seeing things that close without glasses. Bring glasses or get biners, glasses or biners.

Thanks.
    Haha, exactly. It's a trade-off between fiddle-factor and weight, but either way is fine.

• + New Posts