Hammock Bliss No See Um
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!
    Images
    Okay, it is well after midnight. I am at Jacksonville High School in Jacksonville Arkansas. My hammock is strung between two trees on the side of the road. My wife is in the back of the Excursion dozing. I have two whoopie slings I use to gather the end of my hammock. There is a slip knot holding the rope to the tree. There is a marlin spike hitch with a twig from the ground holding the whoopie sling. Repeat for other tree. Lay down and relax. Process took me about 3 minutes. This is the second time I have ever hung in this hammock. I got it two weeks ago. My first real camping hammock.

There are newbs like you and me that need to keep it simple. There are guys like Shug that are true masters of the art of using the hammock and all its bits and pieces. And there are true scientists like Grizzly Adams that know the ins and outs of why the hammocks keeps you off the ground. There are inventors like Dutch that have built from scratch really cool things to make hanging lighter.

Take each person and keep them seperate. Glee. What each one can teach you. Then take that knowledge and use it as you deem best. What works for you won't be the same as what I use.

Explore, enjoy, relax.
    Help a Boy Scout Troop in your area - become a mentor.

God created Firemen so cops would have heros.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Actually I just use the stock as it came suspension . . . it is simple and works great.

but I do have a couple of Flyz I'm going to try . . .
    Thanks again, Dutch
    You are welcome
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB1.1
    Tarp
    Suprfly/MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    3-Season TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I've got a couple of Flyz too! Awesome! Lightweight and don't snag material. Doesn't get any better.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hammocking is simple...we just make it complicated.

All you need is this:
    - Tarp. You're already experienced here.
    - Top Quilt. Probably experienced here.
    - Bottom Insulation. Just slap on an underquilt...simple. Or get a pad, plus one to keep your hips and shoulders warm...simple.
    - Hammock. A piece of fabric that you sling up between two trees. Don't make it more complicated than that. You can even use webbing so you don't have to tie a single knot...simple.

We're just tinkerers, and we like to find new ways to do things...and what we come up with often makes things more complex just to save a few grams. Doesn't make all these nifty ideas right, or best, or better, or even good! Just a different way of doing things.

Did you play baseball? When you started, you probably got a bat and glove for a few bucks from Walmart. You had no idea that a glove could be "optimized" for an infielder, an outfielder, a first-baseman, a catcher, etc. You had no idea that bats could be made of aluminum, wood, compounds, etc. Or that changing the bat's center of gravity affects how you hit, and that the right center of gravity for one person may not be the right center of gravity for the next batter, etc.

That's just like hammocks. Forget about all that complicated stuff...just play catch. If you want all those extras later, great...and if not, you don't need it.

I look at half the stuff on here and just shake my head. But then over time, someone will combine a few of these half-baked ideas into something incredible that I just can't resist...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    What everyone has said is quite true...K.I.S.S.

But then.....one day, without warning, it will all come into focus, and you, too, will become one of this band of geeks. You will not only see the big picture, you'll be in it.

Welcome.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Pace yourself. This should be fun. You don't need to know everything. I've been into it for a yar almost and still don't know a lot.
    Well said. I purchased my first hammock in 2004 and still learn something new almost every time I go out. I have a 90 mile AT section hike starting next weekend and my set up has been tweaked yet again for that one (WB Edge Spinn tarp). Take your time and you'll find what works best for you. I've tried a lot of different things and most of them are in a gear box somewhere in my garage. HYOH, there is no "perfect" setup for everyone!

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

You folks are the BEST! Thank you. That's exactly what I needed.

When my hammock arrives I will just start hanging. See how the most simple system works. Then learn a few techniques, one at a time.

Already, I've learned the prusik knot which can be used for many applications. I'll keep reviewing Shug's video's and pick up bits and pieces.

Participating in a group hang is definitely a mission for me. I'll be the laughing stock of the group but that's ok. An opportunity to meet some of you kind folk and witness how the maestro plays the violin.

Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    I agree with what others have said, but definately with Just Jeff. If you get a hammock with cinch buckles or rings and webbing it is as easy to put up as using the webbing belts that came on pants as a kid. Even the triglides are way simple. With my tarp I got the AHE tarp guyline sytem http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ts/show/994223 , and this allows me to simply clip the biner over the cord and pull the loose end to tighten (prusik already tied!). Then for the other lines the simple "slip knot" (aka the more complicating sounding "marlin spike hitch" ) around the stakes are more than enough. Add in a $12 ccf pad and a sleeping bag and you're set. I deal with the hassles of underquilts due to my personal preference that I've arrived at by tweaking my sytem for 3 years. Truly though, even that only requires that I clip 4 mitten hooks, and pull a drawstring. Hope this was helpful.
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    BB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just joined recently... but I have been using hammocks since 2005 or so.

My first set up looked like this...

And I am still using the same tarp.... but I discovered the advantages of having a huge hammock... so now my set up looks like this.

I like reading about all the ideas here and how some people dissect the act of sleeping in a hammock into mathematical equations and measurements... but the real reason I joined up was for the photos from around the world of where people have camped.

Although I did find out about using a ring buckle... and swapping out the paracord for lighter weight line.

I'm less concerned about keeping up with all the innovations than I am about finding new countries and places to go and set up camp.

And you know that there are tent forums out there that are making things more complicated than even the finest minds here could imagine.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    There's room for everybody.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast